Flippersteps in the Sand

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of which... Bo, don't you have a journal to update?

Beauregard

Reaction score
*shifty eyes* I've been rully busy at the moment. I will though! I never leave a tale untold! Besides, I am putting all my spare time into the MopFam Relaunch story, which is hard!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... If I can help you out... And I'm not sure if just about telling you regarding that unfinished one...

Eh, enough muffining... Lisa, more story please! We know you're online, we can feel your screen blinking!

CarburetorJane

Reaction score
I havent been here in quite a while. Decided to check out the fanfic/art section. Am I glad I did! This is great! Jim and Kermit together, as colleges/friends. Awesome! And oh, the drama! Awesome! And likkle Robin! And likkle Brian! Post soon please!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
...Y'know... Lemme tell ya... I really wasn't going to post anything more until Nyssa (RedDragon) read what I've already got. You may or may not have noticed, but she posted after chapter one (mostly because I was standing right next to her and begging her to post... <shifty eyes>...) and she hasn't replied at all since. That's because she hasn't read anything since chapter two. So I wasn't going to post anything until she read some more.

But, you guys got lucky. And I mean really, REALLY lucky. Because, you see, the combination of certain chapters of certain other stories here, and replies to those chapters, and the wonderful feeling of putting on a good play last night, and the absolutely gorgeous weather we've got here... Well, I'm just way too impatient and in way too good of a mood to not post the next chapter.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Thirteen

“What’cha grinnin’ about, gorgeous?” Croaker asked as he playfully wrapped his arms around Maggie.

She pushed him away with a huge smile. “What’s it to you?” she teased.

“Don’t I get to know?” He took her hands. “I like it when you’re happy.”

Her eyes glimmered in the fading light. “Listen,” she whispered.

He silently watched a certain ecstasy dance over her face. He could hear water dripping, crickets chirping, a hoot owl… and Kermit’s banjo.

Maggie’s smile somehow managed to grow even bigger. “Lonely Log is gone,” she whispered excitedly. “I bet it’s the tadpoles that did it. You can’t frown at a tadpole!”

Down in the pond, Kermit thoughtfully strummed his banjo on his favorite log. He watched the light of the sunset reflect on the water, and took a deep breath. “Evening in the swamp,” he murmured. Then he noticed a glint in the water that was not from the sun, and was coming straight towards him. As it came closer, he recognized the form. “What’s a tadpole doing over here?” he wondered aloud.

The tadpole finally reached his log and swam back and forth in front of it, searching.

Kermit smiled, still playing his banjo. “Robin,” he said. “What did you come way over here for?” He stopped playing and leaned forward, as though Robin could understand and respond to him.

Robin swam in a crazy pattern, suddenly confused. Kermit plucked a note on the banjo, and Robin came straight to it, tapping his head against the log. Kermit hesitated, held his banjo at the other end of the log, and plucked another note. Robin shot towards it, and swam closer to the surface, trying to see. Kermit held his banjo out over the water and plucked another note. Again, Robin raced to the banjo, and swam in a circle beneath it.

“You like the banjo, huh?” Kermit said. He set the banjo in his lap and plucked another note. Robin came. He plucked the same note again, simultaneously dipping his right hand into the water, so Robin could see it.

Robin hesitated, and then rocketed to Kermit’s hand. He swam around it and smiled up at Kermit with his tiny tadpole smile.

Kermit laughed. “You recognize me!” He let his banjo rest on the log and put both his hands in the water for his nephew to explore. “That’s pretty neat, that you crossed half the pond all by yourself,” he said as Robin circled and weaved through his fingers. “I didn’t make it this far from where I hatched until I was a couple days old. At least, that’s what Mom says. Oh, but she’s ‘Grandma’ to you. I think you’re gonna like roaming around in the swamp. You might even go outside the swamp, although that’s not very likely.” He hesitated. “You can, though. You can leave the swamp. It’s kind of scary out there sometimes, kind of painful when things go wrong.” He hesitated again. “But- sometimes, it’s… It’s kind of nice out there.” Robin’s weaving and circling slowed, and Kermit wondered if he was trying to listen or if he was just tired. “It’s challenging, but it’s a good kind of challenge,” he said. “And there’s all sorts of nice things out there. There’s movies, and plays, and music, and television, and parades, and parties, and stores, and restaurants. And there’s all kinds of foods and drinks and things that you’ll never even hear about in the swamp.”

A soft breeze made tiny ripples in the water. Kermit was still watching Robin, but his words were not directed towards him now.

“But mostly,” he said, “Mostly what’s outside the swamp is people. Lots of people, and all different kinds. And a lot of frogs are afraid of people, and afraid of all those things outside the swamp. But-“ He stopped and thought for a long moment. “But I’m not,” he whispered. “I’m not afraid. I like it out there. I like the people. And-“ His voice rose slightly as his determination grew. “And I’m going back out there. I’m gonna go, and I’m gonna do that children’s show with Jim! Yeah! And I don’t care what anybody says about it, either! I think it’s a great idea. An educational children’s show. I can help kids that way. I can help them learn. I don’t care if people say it won’t work. Somebody probably will say that, but… Well I can try anyway. I’m going to try, and I’m going to keep trying until it works! Because… Because as long as you keep trying… you can’t really fail.”

Robin was swimming very slowly, listening to the rising flow of his uncle’s voice. Then the hands he was circling suddenly vanished from beneath him. He swam in quick circles, searching for them.

“Whoops! Sorry about that, Robin,” Kermit said as he lifted his banjo. “But that reminds me of a song.” He slipped his flipper into the water.

Robin swam around the flipper, examining. This was new.

Kermit smiled at him, and calmly strummed his banjo. “This frog,” he sang, “Has to go his own way.
This frog doesn’t care what the other frogs say.
This frog, wants to be happy,
And this frog, has to try.
This frog, is gonna make it,
Or know the reason why.
I’m not gonna sit here,
Like some dumb old bump on a log.
That isn’t me!
I’m gonna be
This frog
!”

Robin lost interest in the flipper and swam closer to the log.

This frog, has a song to be sung.
This frog isn’t-gonna-spend-his-life-in-a-swamp catching flies with his tongue.
This frog may slip and stumble
But this frog tries again.
This frog never will grumble,
But fall to rise again.
This frog is staying with it,
Like a tick, sticks to a dog.
I’m gonna win!
You’re gonna love,
This frog
!”

He played some rising notes. “This frog, has some climbing to do.
This frog has some dreams that he’s making come true.
This frog never will falter,
No not through slush or fog.
This frog will not wear a halter,
Cause nothing halts this frog.
I made myself a promise,
As a young, green pollywog.
I’ll be on top!
Nothing can stop,
This Frog
!”

He stopped playing and peered into the water. Robin was curled up against the log, fast asleep. Kermit smiled, leaned down, and gave his nephew a very gentle kiss. “Thanks, Robin,” he whispered. He stretched out on his log and fell asleep.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

The Next Morning
November 29, 1968

Kermit dragged his hand through the water as he hopped from lily pad to lily pad, carefully guiding Robin back to the small nook in the pond where his brothers and sisters were. “There we go,” he said softly. “This way.”

Jimmy watched, as his brother appeared to speak either to the water or his own hand. He smiled, knowing that his son was the true recipient of Kermit’s encouragement. He hopped over. “Bringing him back?” he said.

Kermit looked up. “Oh, hi Jimmy!” he said. He nodded towards his hand. “Little Robin here swam all the way over by me last night.”

“I know, I saw,” Jimmy beamed. “Pretty impressive, isn’t it?”

“It sure is,” Kermit said.

“Kermit!”

They both turned to see Jim Henson striding towards them. They greeted him, and he stopped at the water’s edge. Kermit handed Robin off to Jimmy, and hopped over to him.

“Well?” Jim said, squatting down as Kermit grew near. “Did you decide about that show?”

Kermit smiled broadly and shook Jim’s hand. “Count me in, Jim.”

Xela

Reaction score
Aww, I'm glad Kermit's not so depressed anymore! And Robin is still so cute!!

I will patiently wait for the next chapter now! :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
What can I...How can I...But where can I...

This frog! Wow...the chills! The chills!!! Oh ROBIN!!!! THis explains such a lot! Robin, I loove yoooou! You saved Kermit!

Leyla

Reaction score
Yay!!!!! Yayyayyayyayyayyayyay!!! I know I say that everytime, but it never stops expressing my emotions properly!

Yay!

Love the song, love Maggie's happiness, love Robin and his incredible trek to get to Kermit and the banjo! Love his interest in music right away! Love Kermit's spech and decision to do Sesame Street! Love seeing the world through Kermit's eyes!! Lovelovelovelovelove!!

Oh, I'm sooo happy! Robin could not possibly be cuter, not at all. His tiny tadpole smile!!

“But mostly,” he said, “Mostly what’s outside the swamp is people. Lots of people, and all different kinds. And a lot of frogs are afraid of people, and afraid of all those things outside the swamp. But-“ He stopped and thought for a long moment. “But I’m not,” he whispered. “I’m not afraid. I like it out there. I like the people. And-“
About here I felt my heart just leap. Kermit's not afraid... it's not a good thing that admire a frog, is it? Well, I do. He's just so Kermity here, so brave.
His voice rose slightly as his determination grew. “And I’m going back out there. I’m gonna go, and I’m gonna do that children’s show with Jim! Yeah! And I don’t care what anybody says about it, either! I think it’s a great idea. An educational children’s show. I can help kids that way. I can help them learn. I don’t care if people say it won’t work. Somebody probably will say that, but… Well I can try anyway. I’m going to try, and I’m going to keep trying until it works! Because… Because as long as you keep trying… you can’t really fail.”
*Cheers and dances* That's the frog I know and love. Oh my, you've really got such a great understanding of the character... he really comes to life. It's the same little guy who yells "I'm staying!" in New York, and tells Doc Hopper, "Go ahead and kill me."

It's just... wonderful. Thanks so much!