Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Actually, Jim Henson Company employees, family members, Disney folks, and Sesame Workshop people all read these forums, and some of them could be members but I'm remissed who it would be.

Wait, did I use that word correctly?

I loved Muppet Christmas Carol and Treasure Island. I would have enjoyed Muppets From Space more had they not had such lame guest cameos throughout. Muppets Wizard of Oz is really good, but I wasn't in love with Dorothy. Seeing as how the majority of those productions were done in association with Diz kind of negates the disappointment here with JHC.

I've also not been in love with much else they've been pushing from JHC. HOwever, I have found myself cracking up at much of the Puppet Up stuff, and (what's her name? Juliana?) the female puppeteer is AWESOME! She is hilarious and quick and a very good catch for the JHC to do something with her. I bet she has wonderful ideas they could work from if they asked her.

I feel that JHC could score with this at the theater, and it is a shame they don't trust their own brand enough to fight harder to get it in theaters, but with movies like Mirrormask under their belt opening to select theaters--and a very weird movie at that, very artistic and visually beautiful, but not something I can watch over and over--it's going to be tough.

Well, I normally like to go see things at the theater and pay the $8.50 for a ticket to find out if I want to buy a $20 dvd or not. I suppose in this case I'll just wait until it's released, pay $5.00 to rent it and if I like it buy the $20 dvd. I'm saving $3.50 that way, I guess.

Still, there's nothing like seeing it on the big screen.

I hope Fraggle Rock goes to the big screen. If not, BOOO!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I loved Muppet Christmas Carol and Treasure Island. I would have enjoyed Muppets From Space more had they not had such lame guest cameos throughout. Muppets Wizard of Oz is really good, but I wasn't in love with Dorothy. Seeing as how the majority of those productions were done in association with Diz kind of negates the disappointment here with JHC.
It really just depends on your opinion. I wasn't happy with the post-Jim films made before Disney came into the picture. But again, call me a purist, but I'm not as concerned about new projects. The original films are all still there and nothing can change that. If would be great if the company would do something new that's just as good, but if they don't, that's OK too. Nothing can take away the importance of Jim's original work.

It's like how people are always wondering who will be bigger or just as good as the Beatles. Some fans are content to say nothing will ever be better. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No gloom and doom, but my two cents...

The Henson Company should have started with the Fraggles. I think they're really too close to their properties to have real perspective on the current market. The Fraggles time is now. I think they're finally getting that.

The Dark Crystal is the project that should have been shelved for a few years. It shouldn't be approached with such urgency. The PR for the project keeps jumping the gun. I've seen too much about the project for it to be so far away and a DVD release! I'm sure people who've spotted the odd article and promotional image over the past year or so think the project has come and gone and was a disappointment. Something's going on with Henson's public relations.

My solution to the Dark Crystal is that accompanying the manga, there should be some sort of episodic animated cable or web series, like the Clone Wars with Star Wars, to introduce the characters in new minds and gain stronger support for a glossy project later (that may or may not use the toon's storyline). Expensive merchandise that doesn't look like the film's art is the wrong way to go. The company appears to be out of touch with the fans.

The entertainment output landscape is changing quicker than the quality of the CG effects its projects usually contain that I can't fault the Henson Company's floundering for theatrical support in such a climate.

Green-lighting the beautiful, but self-indulgent Neil Gaiman project MirrorMask for theatrical release did not help Henson’s clout one bit. That should have been a Sci-Fi Channel miniseries. That cushy spot in theaters should have been saved for the Dark Crystal sequel. I liked MirrorMask, but felt completely isolated from the characters and scattered story. Not very Jim Hensonesque in that respect. His work was always more relatable on several levels.

They are doing interesting multimedia, web and cable projects. There is a lack of focus. I have hope for the company, but it appears that something needs to change with them first. I don’t think Henson is looking at things clearly these days, but they are trying. I see that and it makes me happy that they’re over the apathy of the mid-90s.

As for the Muppet projects (although they are non-Henson Company operated for several years now) I liked Oz and the Christmas special. They have many problems, but there are some moments where the characters shine. Comparing the recent TV movies to the first two classic theatrical films isn’t very fair. The Muppets have been going through some growing pains. I think that’s going to settle down soon. Recent appearances prove that they are comfortable in their own Muppety fur and fleece once again!

petrieboy

Reaction score
I don't know, FrogBoy, 20 years is a lot of time to work out kinks, and "A Muppet Christmas Carol," which was released very soon after Jim's passing, is the best thing they've done in those 20 years. Maybe they were still reeling in his magic. Is Paul Williams still alive? It's time they do something classy and BIG, full of music, and bring him back.

MattFraggle

Reaction score
Thing is, maybe Henson needs to make NEW properties that are just as popular as the old stuff. Who knows. I just know i'd like to see Power of the dark crystal in a theater.

JMPrater

Reaction score
For the record, Brian Froud was not rejected from the DC2 project, in fact, his participation was a prerequisite to Genndy directing the film.

That aside, the issue here really goes to the core of the Henson company and the Henson family. Clearly Lisa & Brian Henson, growing up in their father's shadow, have inherited a kingdom of odd yet funny characters, but of late, not an ounce of the nuance their father had, which has left the world of the muppets dry and desperate for new life.

The idea is making the muppets funny and relevant, which Lisa & Brian can't seem to do. So what do they do instead? They go back and re-explore worlds their father created in effort to generate profit and make the business relevant. This is absolutely the opposite of how Jim Henson approached his work. Jim Henson was an artist, first and foremost, being his son or daughter doesn't make you one as well. Jim Henson put his art first and foremost, sometimes costing him dearly, and yet his art lived.

At the present moment, we have his offspring trying to run a business, hoping that they can create memories and magic, as opposed to doing the reverse.

J.M. Prater

addendum : Is this website official? Meaning, is the news that is posted here sanctioned by the Henson company or is this just an official fansite? Lastly, strange is it not that Henson will neither confirm or deny this direct to DVD rumor? Does anyone know the source of the Latino Review's info?

petrieboy

Reaction score
So Brian Froud worked on the new film? I was misinformed, either on here or on imdb.

Thank you, Prater, for your very good comments.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
addendum : Is this website official? Meaning, is the news that is posted here sanctioned by the Henson company or is this just an official fansite? Lastly, strange is it not that Henson will neither confirm or deny this direct to DVD rumor? Does anyone know the source of the Latino Review's info?
As it says on the disclaimer at the bottom of the page, we are a fan site not officially related to The Jim Henson Company, Disney or Sesame Workshop. However, we do have relationships and contacts with all of the companies above.

By the way, it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Nicole Goldman from the Henson Company issued the following statement in response to the news. Their response was also added yesterday to the above story.

“We are thrilled and grateful that fans are so interested in the progress of ‘Power of the Dark Crystal’ – an especially important project to us that will require great care and attention throughout the production process. A project of this scale takes a lot of time and energy and we continue to work through the development phase, maintaining our original vision of a film for theatrical release that combines traditional puppetry and animatronics with cutting edge CG animation. We’ll be sure to keep fans up to date as more information is confirmed.”

dwayne1115

Reaction score
As it says on the disclaimer at the bottom of the page, we are a fan site not officially related to The Jim Henson Company, Disney or Sesame Workshop. However, we do have relationships and contacts with all of the companies above.

By the way, it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Nicole Goldman from the Henson Company issued the following statement in response to the news. Their response was also added yesterday to the above story.
Well now i feel better

petrieboy

Reaction score
JPrater, I think that this site is probably more reliable than any official site would be.

I hope that the film doesn't go overboard with CGI. My feelings about CGI are that, when done with a big budget and great artists (Ratatouille), it can look amazing. But isn't it funny how the original King Kong animatronic/clay model looks so creepy and amusing nearly a century later, and early CGI from the 1980s looks terrible? Time and technology move so fast, that it is very often those things with a human, "organic" touch which last.