Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
BobThePizzaBoy, I'm a little confused by your numerics. What do you mean by the movie being 2.35 or 1.66?
Aspect ratio. I think BobThePizzaBoy wants a wider scope for the film's world. I agree with that. I suppose Henson could go the Clone Wars cartoon sort of rout with this project until gaining enough momentum for a theatrical release? I wouldn't want a poorly budgeted Crystal hitting theaters.

dabauckham

Reaction score
This is very disappointing...very disappointing indeed. :frown:

pain

Reaction score
To me, this is horrible news.

I wanted to bring my kids to see this on the huge screen. I wanted them to properly see the remake of their father's favorite film of all time. I truly hope this film blows me away, but I just do not see it.

This will also probably affect a possible toy line. Nobody wants to buy the rights to make action figures to a movie that no one even believes would make it in the theaters. I hope this is not affected as well, and I hope the good companies see the toy line's potential.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I wasn't expecting this to happen but i'll still get it no matter what but it's kinda of a bore now that it'll be a video release instead. :frown:

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Henson's not confirming or denying anything yet. I always want to remain cautious. I'm really bummed out if this is true. BUT, even if it is, I'm sure these things happen for a reason. I just want to know what the reasoning would be, in that case.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have never been a huge Dark Crystal fan, but I can totally understand why you would all be disapointed. Just wanted to say that, the real magic is the original Dark Crystal film that Jim created. Nothing can ever take that away. To me, that's what's important, not whether there is ever a sequal.

Don't get me wrong, the direct-to-video news is a bummer. I'm just saying don't let it discourage you. And also wait and see the final product before making too hasty a judgement. :smile:

Laszlo

Reaction score
Well, better direct-to-video than nothing.
I always knew they don't have enough money...

JMPrater

Reaction score
I wish I could be confident in Genndy, but only seeing his animation work, I have nothing to base my confidence in, the reason being that this sequel deals with elements outside of his animation expertise.

I'm not at all saying that he's a hack or incapable, I just haven't seen anything with the exception of that 3 minute comicon clip that ended up on youtube. If there were a trailer or a clip of the work that they've been doing to show us then that would be one thing, but again, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but they've showed us NOTHING. No production stills, no behind the scenes diaries, zilch, nada, zero.

Of course, Genndy, Lisa Henson & Co don't have to prove anything to me/us/the fans. They can continue as they have been for months, doing the their thing without saying a word. They can continue this trend of estrangement but at this stage, it would be unwise and their silence only breeds our contempt.

This is the point where we as fans NEED to be involved, to get behind this project and trumpet it, even if it is indeed a direct-to-video endeavor.

I hope some one who matters reads this and takes action. The Power of the Dark Crystal needs us [the fans] to succeed. Period.

J.M. Prater

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
Its really sad to say this but I really feel the Magic of the company died with Jim. Its kinda lost its spark. It seems to have lost its creativity and Magic. The Muppet's are different and truly not as fun to watch anymore. And not alot has been done since his Death that is a real Land Mark for the Company. I hope they prove us wrong with this direct to DVD release and hopefully it doesn't shatter all of our hopes for the Fraggle film. I'm glad to see Henson is doing something, but its just kind of a let down when its not trying to be a big as it was, or can be if fought for.