The what shows do you miss that you wish were around thread?

Yorick

Reaction score
*The Little Koala
*The Noozles
What a coincidence...I just mentioned them in the 80's kids show thread...I always think of them together, and in that order too. The Little Koala (FANTASTIC animation) was the first one, and then Noozles came to the channel. That's how I remember it, anyway.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Left one out of my previous post..."Just Say Julie". I really wanted to do an article about "Julie Brown is the Coolest Person in the Universe" on muppetfreak (since i did posts about other non-Muppet areas of fandom about 15-25% of the time) and if things get better for me where i can revive it, i'll get around to that post someday. But for those who don't remember or weren't around back then let me tell you a story about how once upon a time MTV stood for "Music TeleVision" (instead of eMpTy Vee) and the main reason for its existance was to play these quaint little gems called music videos.

Comedianne/actress/singer Julie Brown had her own show in the late 90's...which was a neat twist since one of the VJ's (similar to a radio DJ...again a now endangered species) on the station was also named Julie Brown ... so the VJ came to be known as "Downtown" Julie Brown and Just Say Julie Brown was deemed "Ms. Julie Brown" (or when Julie would refer to Downtown Julie on her show, she would call her "the OTHER Julie Brown...the EEEVIL Julie Brown") The format was actually a precursor of Beavis & Butthead...just not animated, crass, and was actually funny. There would be a comedy story throughout the show that would be interupted for music video breaks which Julie would make fun of while they were playing. (Typical example: freeze framimg Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" pointing at the video models - "Fake - Fake - Fake...(proudly thrusts out her own chest) REAL!") One of my all time favorite moments was when there was the nice, mellow, serene, calming "Eternal Flame" by the Bangles playing in the background with Julie freaking out, running around, and chasing a vapid model with a paddleball (you had to see the episode!) in the foreground! This is another show that really should be on dvd (actually though not in stores, you can get "Best of Just Say Julie" dvd's through Julie Brown's website) but of course just like the eventual dvd releases of Beavis and Butthead, obtaining the dvd release rights to all the original music videos that aired on the show is pretty much impossible so pirated original copies or Youtube might be the only way to fully enjoy the original episodes as they actually appeared.

As much as i miss music videos on MTV, and Just Say Julie, i would love to see Julie back on a regular series again! She's had a number of regular parts on shows since...some of which were pretty much her own shows (the sketch comedy show The Edge which included among its cast a pre-Friends Jennifer Aniston and the Comedy Central sitcom Strip Mall) and guest spots on other shows (Clueless). Heck, i'd even settle for a long overdue new album!

homerthegreat

Reaction score
- the x-files (even though the show had basically run its course when it ended)
- free ride (this was cancelled after about five episodes and was BRILLIANT)
- arrested development (the final episodes were far too rushed)

and this one doesn't really count, but i really wish the simpsons was a lot more like it was in the ninties. even something like the animation - sure, digital might be easier and more convenient, but its lifeless. and the show in widescreen? this is just odd!

muppet maniac

Reaction score
But yeah, I enjoy MADtv (at least at first I did, til it started trying to seperate itself from the MAD magazine, which meant they didn't use Alfred E. Neumen as their mascot and Spy vs Spy cartoons were nothing but a memory), but in the much shorter time "In Living Color" was on the air, it did way more.
To me, Family Guy actually comes off as a TV version of MAD Magazine more than MADtv. How? Not only do you have the usual cutaway gags, you also have cultural figures (cartoon and otherwise, most of whom are copyrighted) popping up literally every second within a situation.

At least that's how I see it.

Rose

Reaction score
There's a few shows I miss that I haven't seen on T.V. in a while.
I wouldn't mind seeing HR Pufnstuf again or the Banana Splits I really loved those shows as a kid and I haven't seen much of them in a very long time.
As for Game shows I liked Match Game '77, To tell the Truth, Name that Tune, the Old Price Is Right the ones where Bob had brown hair. lol I liked seeing the old high tech stuff makes me laugh now when I think that was top of the line at one time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Currently I am wondering what happened to My Boys.
The show about the King of Hyrule?

What a coincidence...I just mentioned them in the 80's kids show thread...I always think of them together, and in that order too. The Little Koala (FANTASTIC animation) was the first one, and then Noozles came to the channel. That's how I remember it, anyway.
You know why there were all those Koala cartoons in Japan, right? A very big name zoo in Japan had a Baby Koala given to them as a good will gesture from Australia. Not making this up at all. But that's the origin of that.

Personally I always hated stuff like David the Gnome and the Noozles because they were always on when I went over my friend who had Nickelodeon's house... and I always wanted to see Danger Mouse and Count Duckula. Took me nigh on 20 years to actually see them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I miss watching The Little Lulu Show on HBO everyday... I have a few episodes on tape though, but still, that was really the only show I liked to watch on HBO. Well, Stuart Little: The Series was pretty good too.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
How about "Press your luck", Greed, $1M Chance of a lifetime, Hollywood squares (You can tell I'm a game show fanatic for some reason).