The what shows do you miss that you wish were around thread?

Kiki

Reaction score
Hrrmm... here's some...

'The Muppet Show' (Surprise, surprise!);
'Saved by the Bell' (Though I guess we have enough teen-orientated TV shows... :smirk:);
'Widget';
'Billy the Cat';
'The Trapdoor';
'Jem and the Holograms' (Hmmm... *maybe*... but I like the 80s-awesomeness...);
'Seinfeld' (Using the original cast, needless to say. I heard they were gonna do a new series somewhere, but not sure if that's true or not);
Gigantor;
'The Ferals'/'Feral TV' (90's Australian children show. Made a revival in the early 2000's -*somewhat*- with the character Mixy, not sure if it would appeal to kids' today, though...)
'Hey Hey It's Saturday!'

Another show that I miss is The Secret World Of Alex Mack...
I *loved* that show. Used to be on the ABC, I miss it!

Well... besides The Muppet Show... :stick_out_tongue:

I really miss quality, smart cartoon shows like Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and Tiny Toon Adventures so... seeing those shows return in some capacity would be stellar.
Hmm, I second that! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly wish King of the Hill wasn't getting the boot in favor of another Seth Mcfarlane show "The Celvenland Show," I'll give it a chance, though.
King of the Hill had a nice long run. Well over 10 years. And while I can't say I'm entirely thrilled it's gone, at least it isn't rotting away for ever, over staying it's welcome.... you know what show I'm talking about. Hank, good Texan as he is, is riding off into the sunset with dignity, not jumping back into the spotlight like he's Daffy Duck (or Homer Simpson... D'oh).

Of course, the fact that they're doing that inferior Goode Family (or what I like to call "What Republicans Think the TV show") kinda bugs me. I wish he'd go back to Beavis and Butthead. Those guys are Mensa members compared to kids today (and my generation just barely evaded being totally corrupted by them)... Rumor is that Mike Judge is planning something somehow sometime.... don't know how and when... or even what. There was rumored to be a live action movie with that guy who played Napoelon Dynamite (he looks like Beavis, but he'd make an excellent Butthead).

Plus, I hope the Cleveland show relies on story more than jokes, as it's predecessor seems to have forgotten.

'Seinfeld' (Using the original cast, needless to say. I heard they were gonna do a new series somewhere, but not sure if that's true or not)
Not unless they throw Seinfeld a crapload of money. Even then, the show ended with him refusing to take all the money NBC was preparing to throw at him. But then again, it couldn't be half as bad as any of the shows made by former cast members... what's it say when The Tick and The Michael Richards show were the good ones... and the worst one is still on the air somehow. I'm sure we'd get the same George... but Elain's doing that awful sitcom, we'd have to accept a thinner Newman (Wayne Knight lost a lot of weight. Good for him), and a Kramer that isn't half as lovable as he used to be... thanks to having a bad stand up career... (and Mel Gibson continues to make movies... I don't think that's fair).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
'Seinfeld' (Using the original cast, needless to say. I heard they were gonna do a new series somewhere, but not sure if that's true or not);
Yeah, actually the whole cast is going to be making an appearance on Curb Your Enthusiasm or something like that.

I *loved* that show. Used to be on the ABC, I miss it!
Yeah, I thought that was a very good what I would call second generation Nick show.

and a Kramer that isn't half as lovable as he used to be... thanks to having a bad stand up career... (and Mel Gibson continues to make movies... I don't think that's fair).
Well, Jerry has mentioned that he was looking into going back to work on Larry King.

Yorick

Reaction score
Most shows I love (especially the cartoons) would have sadly changed their style by now...even if, like the Simpsons, they were still on after all these years. For example - the Snorks. To me, the animation is wonderful, and they just don't make shows look like that anymore. So if it was still on, the feel would be different now, which would be a shame. However, there's one favorite show of mine that I feel could have pretty much kept it's design all these years and still be on TV today, and that is Dinosaurs. Also, the content would still work, and be considered edgy enough.
Plus Dinosaurs was technically a Satirical program. It was very political at times, sometimes it satirized pop culture, and shall I say The Mating Dance and The Happy Leaf? LOL

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Greg the Bunny yet. My family and I were huge fans of Greg the Bunny when it was on FOX during it's short reign. It deserved a lot more credit than FOX gave it.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Shows i miss to the point of it almost hurting...

You Can't do That on Television...totally groundbreaking and most importantly funny! This was a true rarity - a show with kids that kids and adults could enjoy...multilevel humor, kids and situations that the audience could relate to...this was the show that put Nickelodeon on the map (even though they acquired it from a Canadian station) and sadly Nick has never come close to finding anything that captured that glory so well.

Laugh-in - now of course YCDTOTV was in many ways a descendant of Laugh In, so to say i wish YCDTOTV was back on the air, i'd also have to say that the tv landscape is not the same without Laugh-In itself either. Yes, there were incredible talents on the show but the cool thing is the format was such that it's one of the few shows you could put back on the air with a totally different cast and as long as the writing and acting talent was there, it would work. This was the ultimate show for everyone in the family - sight gags mixed with slapstick mixed with innocence mixed with naughtiness mixed with sly political commentary...and lest the show be accused of having a particular slant in its politcal humor, there were both right-wing and left-wing influenced writers on the show that balanced each other out. Every now and then there will be some tribute to Laugh In via an anniversary special or awards show tribute...why can't anyone realize that this is a show we need back on our screens? Of course, these days we're in "reality show" land since they're "cheaper to produce" and with all the quick cuts and bits that last for a few seconds that means multiple sets, costumes...the kind of stuff that might make a network penny-pincher cringe.

The Hot Fudge Show - the world's coolest ever kids show that wasn't Henson/Muppet related. The fact that you had to work to get up super early to watch it made it seem all the more special! DVD RELEASES NEEDED STAT!

Twin Peaks - not only did it change the television landscape, but showed that cinema style production values could be done on television...most primetime dramas have TP to thank in one way or another...but beside the way it revived the format and twisted it into new directions and subgenres, the story has far from over and so much potential for further greatness was wasted with its cancellation. A lot of television critics (and general pop culture concensus) will tend to argue that the first season was the best thing to ever hit television while the second season was a total waste. I totally disagree...yes, there were weak spots in the second season...the few episodes between the wrap up of the Laura Palmer murder mystery and the next major storylines felt like the transitional episodes they were and whenever the show was off the air due to some kind of break, it often seemed like the first episode to air after a wait was not as good as the episode or two that followed that particular one. But by and large i would say that season two was the better of the two and that season three would have totally rocked. Or for that matter a movie that would have forwarded the story instead of the prequel movie that happened instead (not saying the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me wasn't all sorts of awesomeness in itself)

Melrose Place - yes i know there's a new version of the show coming back...which is why i specifically am mentioning it. The original was must-see viewing in the 90's - it was one of those generation defining shows...the one you would watch while on the phone with a friend watching the show on their end and commenting on what you were watching "together" - the one you would talk about at break at work the next day with your fellow Melrose buds. Which is why i'm really disheartened by a lot of the reports coming out about the new incarnation - the current producers have just been blowing the chances to bring back old cast members left and right (ie they refuse to spare the expense!) So far, only four original characters have been mentioned as returning (one just this last week)...and even then most of them just for an episode or two...and the main one being Sidney Andrews...a character that was killed on-camera in the original and even by Melrose standards seems very outlandish to manage to explain/justify (not that i'm not a fan of Syd - on the contrary while Heather Locklear's Amanda was the one who often is credited as "saving the show"...Amanda had the best lines, Marcia Cross' Kimberly had the best storylines and shocking moments (the wig, the unspoiled return from the dead in season two, the blowing up the apartment, the multiple personalities), and Laura Leighton's Sidney was the one you would be gushing about when you were catching up with your water cooler discussion friends with the next day with your conversations almost inevitably starting with "Can you believe what Syd said/did/wore?") I am at least glad to see Thomas Calabro returning as Michael Mancini (the only cast member who was on the original series all the way from the first to the last episode) but still i get the feeling that this will be such a cheap ripoff of the original that it will probably end up cancelled after about six episodes. The funny thing is, on paper Melrose Place seems like a show that could be done with an all new cast being that the premise is that it revolves around residents of an apartment building...and in real life tenants move in and out of apartments all the time...but what made MP the show it was in its original form where the characters and without a healthier portion of those cast members/characters (or at least the ones who managed to never be killed off!), it's destined to fail (the only exception i would make is i would have NO problem with a recast Billy Campbell - Andrew Shue was one of the worst actors ever on a primetime drama!) I was always sad that even though they had Heather Locklear herself as a guest in an episode that Muppets Tonight (or the Muppets in general) never got around to doing a good Melrose parody...i always wanted so badly to see them do one where there would be a running gag of "by the way where is Kimberly?" ... and then it would end with Crazy Harry popping up at the end in drag in a long red wig setting off a huge explosion.

I avoided mentioning any Henson/Muppet series though i will comment that The Jim Henson Hour was one of my all time fave Henson/Muppet projects which totally got a raw deal from NBC...but unfortunately even if it DID get renewed...it wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway due to sadly obvious reasons.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I avoided mentioning any Henson/Muppet series though i will comment that The Jim Henson Hour was one of my all time fave Henson/Muppet projects which totally got a raw deal from NBC...but unfortunately even if it DID get renewed...it wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway due to sadly obvious reasons.

I don't know what's more depressing, myself. But that's the thing I hated about NBC. They seemed to have treated TJJH as poorly as they treated Bullwinkle (long story short, Jay Ward at least ticked off the network heads, Jim didn't do anything). They pretty much pretended the show was on another network. Yet, seems there were no hard feelings, and the Muppets have had a good relationship with NBC even after that.

JHH was perfection, as far as Henson goes. We got to see both sides, the wacky fun Muppets, and the amazing, highly detailed dramatic, theatrical Creature Shop productions. Nothing finer.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Greg the Bunny yet. My family and I were huge fans of Greg the Bunny when it was on FOX during it's short reign. It deserved a lot more credit than FOX gave it.
I remember that show! They aired a few episodes and then it mysteriously disappeared :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not that it really really counts, but I wish Ban Dai didn't pull out of the Mega Man cartoon (the 90's one), causing them to have to cancel it. Especially since it did get sizable ratings, and even a Mega man X series spinoff was planned.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Some other shows I miss are:

*The Little Koala
*The Noozles

I don't want a revival, I just want the reruns back on TV. I really miss watching them. Or for SOMEONE to at least put them on DVD!