Now what's going on with YouTube?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I laos forgot to mention that the new Wikipedia is also, and not surprisingly, significantly slower now.

I think the worst of it all is still MySpace Facebookifying themselves, ever since then, there was no more speed - it sometimes takes up to two minutes for your homepage on MySpace to finish loading since they went Facebook, and speed used to be one of the reasons I prefered MySpace.
Wow, they have changed MySpace a lot since I've visited last! Love it or hate it, I don't think it's the new design is to blame for the slow speed. That's usually a server-side issue. However, it's probably being caused by the conversion. :wisdom:

Personally, I'd rather these sites look different. As things in the web world get larger everything else starts to look the same. :sympathy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
GAH! Now Deviant Art is pulling the same stuff too.

Razzafraggin

D'Snowth

Reaction score
GAH! Now Deviant Art is pulling the same stuff too.

Razzafraggin
Shitaki mushroom...

Seriously, when the Elmo is enough going to be enough? ! This is the second time in a one year period dA suddenly changed the layout on us, and it always takes forever to get used to... and this obviously wasn't designed with relatively older laptops in mind - my maximum laptop resolution is 1024 x 768, and this is stretching out my window whenever I open it. At least there's ONE consolation to all of this... this has put a stop to the invasive automatically refreshing ads on the pages.

But seriously... Yahoo! YouTube (several times), deviantART (twice), MySpace, Wikipedia, MSN... WHEN the ELMO is this all gonna END? !

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At least there's ONE consolation to all of this... this has put a stop to the invasive automatically refreshing ads on the pages.
I take it back... THAT didn't last long. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm 50/50 about the new dA layout... it really has no pros, other than our profiles and such still look cosmetically the same, but our galleries have been stretched out because of the new wide layout, and as such, I had to upload at least two more random deviations to fill in the new two empty spaces where my gallery didn't come out evenly.

My cons about the new layout are mostly related to the messages... a few days before the new layout debuted, I noticed that our mailboxes for PMs and notes had already been overhauled, and they were kind of hard to navigate through... not to mention, if you received a new note, used to, you could just click on it, and it would take you right to it... NOW, if you click on it, it takes you to your inbox, where you have to click the message again to open and view it. Another con is when you receive messages in general now... in the old days, you used to could hover your cursor over the messages link at the top of the page, and an alt would tell you 'C' for comments on your deviations, profile, journals, etc; 'R' for replies to comments; 'A' for favorites or adds and such, 'CM' or 'N' for spam from the dA staff about contests and such... now, whenever you hover over the link, you get a drop down menu, and things are divided into different categories, so now 'C', 'R', 'A', etc are grouped under "Feedback messages", so you never really know offhand what you'll be reading, so it's kind of a gamble anymore.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, you know what YouTube's problem is NOW? They keep cranking out all these new playback settings like 720p and 1024p that it's impossible to even watch videos anymore... try watching a video on the average 360p setting? The playback is slow and choppy after just two minutes of watching. Watching on what was once considered HD at 480? You've got choppiness almost after just half a minute or so. It's gotten so bad that you pretty much HAVE to watch videos on their new slow-connection 240p setting, in which the video is really fuzzy and the audio is slightly distorted, but it's the only setting that will allow you to watch a video completely with no choppiness, slowness, lagging, etc.

And speaking of audio... is it just me, or does it seem like the audio has been distorted on a lot of videos (when played at a normal setting)? I've noticed a lot of videos I watch regularly suddenly it's like the volume's been lowered, and I'm having to turn it almost all the way up to hear it plainly as I used to when the volume was either halfway or even one-third up.

SSLFan

Reaction score
And speaking of audio... is it just me, or does it seem like the audio has been distorted on a lot of videos (when played at a normal setting)? I've noticed a lot of videos I watch regularly suddenly it's like the volume's been lowered, and I'm having to turn it almost all the way up to hear it plainly as I used to when the volume was either halfway or even one-third up.
No, it's not just you. I'm experiencing that same problem myself. For a second I thought it just had something to do with the new lab top I had recently bought.:stick_out_tongue:

Honestly, Youtube changes itself TOO often. Nothing was wrong with it before all these changes starting happening. The site itself has gotten worse, IMO.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, it's not just you. I'm experiencing that same problem myself.
And I KNOW that we can't even mention this to YouTube, because they won't listen to us, nor do anything about it./

muppets2

Reaction score
the ads are driving me crazy so i just press f5 to get rid of the ad and it sends me straight to the video :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
the ads are driving me crazy so i just press f5 to get rid of the ad and it sends me straight to the video :smile:
Ads are a problem on a lot of sites, deviantART in particular these past several months.

Are you sure about the f5 thing? It refreshes the entire page for me, ads and all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No, it's not just you. I'm experiencing that same problem myself. For a second I thought it just had something to do with the new lab top I had recently bought.:stick_out_tongue:

Honestly, Youtube changes itself TOO often. Nothing was wrong with it before all these changes starting happening. The site itself has gotten worse, IMO.
my problem is that it's just gotten slow as slime yesterday, and I REALLY hate how if you watch a recommended video or subscription or something it AUTOMATICALLY goes to the next video after it, even if the "Auto play" setting are off.