New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
That's what I am really hoping for in the new movie as well let the muppets shine and I don't think anything else needs to be said. More muppets and only brief cameos just the way Jim did it. :jim:

goldenstate5

Reaction score
I highly doubt it'll come out in summer 2013 even if they fast-tracked it. (which it sounds like they're doing) That's pretty much expecting the film to be locked-down and finished this time next year. Most likely it'll take a bit longer and Disney will give it the Thanksgiving 2013 slot again.

As for the project itself, it sounds interesting... and it isn't necessarily a GMC remake. We just have to wait. I will vomit however if Disney gives it a lame-brained title such as "Muppets 2" or "The Muppets Sequel".

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
As of now I'm holding my breathe and praying they don't mess this up. Like I said Disney's track record with sequels is not great! Especially when their in a hurry. And they need to get real if they really wanna push a movie out by summer of 2013. I'm sure they only want that because that's when movies pull in the big bucks and two that means they want it released on DVD/blu-ray by the holidays to capitalize on sales.

Avilos

Reaction score
I would not but too much thought or concern into a summer 2013 release.

Film release dates are adjusted all the time. For stuff in production and completely finished films. In this case the script is still being written. This time frame is just wishful thinking on Disney part right now. That is basically what Nick Stoller is saying.

I would guess they will not have an early estimate, and only an estimate, for its release until filming begins. We have no idea when that would even be. The biggest thing that affects this is cast and crew schedules. Films have been delayed due to actors or directors having first signed on to other work. It happens often with sequels given that the same actors have to return.

This is a little different though. The Muppet performers will be available whenever needed. Whatever other Muppet projects come up , the new film will be their top priority.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
I was a little perturbed that they never answered if this film was going to be a direct sequel to the first. I know Amy and Jason aren't going to be involved, and Walter most likely will... but is this a follow-up to the Muppets "regaining" their fame, or just an entirely new adventure?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm surprised by all the grief some people are creating over the next Muppet film. We really don't know anything. Nothing is concrete. All of this is just in the idea stage now.
  • The excitement to get this film to theaters doesn't mean they're going to hurl it into production if it isn't ready no matter what release dates are being considered.
  • The use of the term "caper" in the pitch does not mean that this film will be a facsimile of "The Great Muppet Caper" or any previous film. It's just a word and a genre. One could just as easily call this new film unoriginal because it is slated to be yet another Muppet musical comedy. A caper could mean almost anything.
  • The creation and inclusion of new Muppet characters doesn't mean they're going to take the spots of our favorites. New cast members create new dynamics for old characters to play off. It keeps things fresh and interesting.
This is such a wonderful phase of production. It's the possibility phase. We should all have stars in our eyes rather than harsh speculations. Longtime fans can easily remember a time when projects were announced and then disappeared or were scrapped altogether. Basically, the time right before this film.

All of this news is really very good news. There's nothing to be worried about at this point. Remember hearing how Frank Oz disparaged the last film? Well, we now know that he was referring to the initial script that Disney wasn't pleased with either. Too many people are going off on too many tangents with too little information. Nobody's landed. This is a good time. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is such a wonderful phase of production. It's the possibility phase. We should all have stars in our eyes rather than harsh speculations. Longtime fans can easily remember a time when projects were announced and then disappeared or were scrapped altogether. Basically, the time right before this film.

All of this news is really very good news. There's nothing to be worried about at this point. Remember hearing how Frank Oz disparaged the last film? Well, we now know that he was referring to the initial script that Disney wasn't pleased with either. Too many people are going off on too many tangents with too little information. Nobody's landed. This is a good time. :smile:
To me, the only thing I think sounds the slightest bit... well, I can't even use worrisome, since that's far too harsh for me to say so. But the only thing that tastes off is the release date, but again... I'm sure if the film makers don't feel that next year is enough time, Diz will give them a little longer to hammer things out.

Now, I do not feel the last film was rushed by any means, except when it came to editing. Concepts were completely lopped off, even to the chagrin of the film makers. Hopefully this time, we have a script that's 60 minutes or less of important plot points, so we have a lot more time scheduled for Muppet wackiness.

I hope Gigglesock is enjoying a nice red wine with all that crow.
The guy is a loser. I mean, really... a HUGE loser. There's nothing wrong with not liking or not getting the Muppets, but the guy has a Tex Richman-esque childish vendetta against them. He probably hated the movie even more than usual because he thought they were making fun of him. Then you sit him down to some CGI tripe like Alpha and Omega and he screams how it's genius. Who cares what the little twerp thinks?

Quesal

Reaction score
A comedy caper, eh? well I LOVE The Great Muppet Caper, so I do have some high expectations if this movie is going to be another caper movie. We'll just see what happens...

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, let's move this discussion in a different direction than worrying about the time frame which is all subject to change. Obviously only two years separated The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper as far as their summer release dates, so it's possible a 2013 theatrical release can happen.

Disney folks are on our forum regularly, so I guarantee that our opinions matter especially at this early stage of development. So let's start thinking along these lines...

(1) What would you like to see as the plot in the new Muppet "comedy caper" type film?

(2) What characters would you like to see have the leading roles?

(3) Do you want a Muppet villain (like in Muppets From Space, Letters to Santa and The Muppets) and if so who, or would you prefer the villain to be just a human role for one or more characters?

(4) Whether they were in The Muppets or not, what five minor characters do you hope have a bigger role in the new movie? (For me, Johnny and Sal, Robin, Rizzo and Clifford were noticeably missing in The Muppets.)

(5) What style of music would you like for the new film? Are there any characters that you hope have a song in the new movie? (In my opinion, The Electric Mayhem needs a solo song in this film.)

Status
Not open for further replies.