Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

razza1987

Reaction score
This is my first ever post on this forum. I have been receiving updates to my email for months but this is the first time I have ever wanted to come on here and say something.

Jerry you were such a huge part of my childhood and I will even admit to watching your characters on Sesame Street when I would have so much time off school at 16 years of age haha.

Your many characters brought so much love and happiness to my life and so much magic. While I never knew you personally I believe that characters such as Robin showed the kind and gentle soul that you had. The Muppets world is a bit darker today.

Thank you so much, for everything

Hubert

Reaction score
The first thing I do every morning as soon as I wake up is to type in the address for the Muppet Central Forum. And I don't know if it was Jim or Richard or Jerry or someone else that made me do it, but on this particular morning, instead of having the forum list showing up, the main Muppet Central page showed up. And that's when I saw it, and I am thankful that I did type in the address wrong, so I could see it that way instead of as a thread title.

I, I just don't know what to say to this. I'm just in such disbelief. Even though I knew he had health issues, it just seemed like he would be able to keep fighting them forever. I never expected this. Jerry was such an influential figure on my life, the fact that he has passed away now, I just am in shock from it. Right now I feel like the little child not old enough to understand death. It's just shocking that the man that I grew up with suddenly is gone.

You will be seeing more stuff from me today once I get my thoughts straightened out. Probably a tribute article on Dynamite Determination. And I just, I just can't drive myself to be that active on the forum today. I just can't drive myself to use the crazy thread and the CCC and all the fun stuff we have. So I'm probably not going to be too active today.

Thank you, Mr. Nelson, your presence shall be missed.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I will watch "Can You Picture That" and "Mr. Bassman," my two favorite Floyd Pepper numbers, to honor his memory.

Luke

Reaction score
Just to echo and add to everyones comments, Jerry was such a huge part of The Jim Henson Company and his iconic characters will be remembered and live on for all to enjoy. I also had the pleasure of speaking to Jerry on Muppet Central and was grateful he was so generous interacting with the community that shared his love and passion for The Muppets, Sesame, Fraggles and all the other productions. It's lovely that Muppet Central are choosing to remember Jerry with lots of his music as that was one of his favourite areas, i'm sure he'd be touched.

CopperPot

Reaction score
We were very lucky to have spent some time with Mr. Nelson both on the set of Sesame and in his home. On set, we happened to be filming with Caroll the same day there was a scene between the Count and Big Bird. It was a joy to watch him work. We timidly approached Mr. Nelson and asked if it would be ok to film him relaxing between takes with Caroll. He obliged (which was good, because we really were quite nervous to approach him as he was, after all, a legend). Hearing Caroll and Mr. Nelson talk about the "old days" was a truly wonderful experience and one we are honored to have been privy to.

Then, in February of this year, we called Mr. Nelson and asked if we could come interview him. Again, he welcomed us without hesitation. It was a magical afternoon, though perhaps my favorite moment was when we were sharing some of Caroll's footage with Mr. Nelson. The rest of the team was busy setting up the shot, so he and I went into his TV room and fired up the behind-the-scenes footage of "A Muppet Family Christmas." Mr. Nelson had never seen this material before; there are no words to describe how honored I was to see it with him and hear him relive the experience.

Though we knew his characters for our entire lives, we only knew the man but a brief while. We knew him to be a kind and generous soul who we will miss greatly.

-Dave

Vincent L

Reaction score
I'm so glad I knew him before he passed away. Though my dream of ever meeting him is shattered.

meepmuppaphones

Reaction score
I just got the email from MC. At first, I saw the subject was "Jerry Lee Nelson", so I was like, "Hmmm... What email is this about? If it's about Jerry Nelson, the only possibility is that either he's come out of retirement or he's.... Wait..."

So I checked the email, and it hit me right in the face like a skillet.

"Saying goodbye... Muppet legend, once-in-a-lifetime voice, irreplaceable soul, dear friend... Jerry Nelson has passed. We remember... and will never forget."

It was so... Shocking. I never expected him to die. I know his health was declining, but somehow, he seemed so... Invincible. Like he'd never die. He performed so energetically, I forgot he's human. I could not comprehend the news. I went on Toughpigs, Muppet Wikia, and Wikipedia, and they all stated he's passed away. I coudn't believe my eyes.

He was an essential component in the universe of Muppets. Sure, he's a pretty overshadowed Muppeteer. No one knows who HE is. But they knew the Muppets that he played. Lew Zealand, Floyd Pepper, Robin, Gobo, Count von Count, Crazy Harry... The list is endless. He taught us how to count. He encouraged world peace. He threw boomerang fish. He loved explosions. He made being small not bad at all. But most of all, he helped shape our childhoods. He will be missed.

R.I.P Jerry Lee Nelson

(1934-2012)

Vincent L

Reaction score
The lyrics for When the River Meets the Sea, which somehow feels appropriate at this time.

When the mountain touches the valley
All the clouds are taught to fly
As our souls will leave this land most peacefully
Though our minds be filled with questions
In our hearts we'll understand
When the river meets the sea

Like a flower that has blossomed
In the dry and barren sand
We are born and born again most gracefully
Thus the winds of time will take us
With a sure and steady hand

Patience, my brother and patience, my son
In that sweet and final hour
Truth and justice will be done

Like a baby when it is sleeping
In its loving mother's arms
What a newborn baby dreams is a mystery
But his life will find a purpose
And in time he'll understand
When the river meets the almighty sea

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I am so sad. He was one of my favorite Muppeteers. I just wrote a letter to him last week. I should've done that years ago. I can't believe this. :frown: