Eisner confirms Disney could buy Henson and Muppets soon

JamieDenny

Reaction score
Diz........ no...................................falls asleep after staying up all night to watch Oscars.

*gotta love Adrien Brody though*
Jamie

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
*asleep from performing all night at an Oscar event here in Memphis.* :sleep:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Amazing...even when our regular posters are sound asleep, they're still posting a lot! LOL!

Kev, were you performing Muley at this Oscar event?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
I wonder if he'd be willing to accept a position back at Disney guiding the Henson division? That seems to me to be the best scenario. Even if Valentine does manage to scrape together enough money to buy the Muppets, where's he going to get the money to fund any projects after that? We need someone who the Disney folk like and will listen to, that genuinely likes and understands the Muppets himself (that's how Valentine comes off in the PR quotes, anyway). Valentine's expertise with Disney's financial/marketing muscle -- that's what I'd like to see.
THAT wouldn't be so bad. Unlikely, but a cool scenario.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You didn't wake me up. I am at work and my boss just spooked me. :boo:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by AruggeRadio
But now i have a wish list for Disney if they do buy the company. First and Foremost PAY OFF SESAME WORKSHOPS DEBT TO EM-TV. [/url]
Christopher

Everything on your wishlist is great - that's kinda the best scenario anyone could hope for and i think more or less everybody would support - trouble is it's just very unlikely, for the reasons ChillyDown says, and also because the things we are starting to hear from Disney just don't seem to lead me to think this is going to be all about just leaving the Henson Company alone to do what it likes with increased resources. I guess that's why there are reasons to be wary. Whatever we say they are going to run Henson how they want and how they see the 'Muppets' going so i guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed that it turns out well. There are other people interested though - i don't think it's quite the one horse race some people think - EMTV need the money soon so they'll have kept other options open.

I don't know what Disney would be doing paying off Sesame Workshop's debt to EMTV because Henson don't owe anything, and secondly, Sesame Workshop have paid it off recently i think. I doubt SW would ever allow any other company to buy into Sesame now they own it entirely - it would be pretty foolish now that they've got what they wanted to be able to protect the shows and characters which was their aim.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah when the EM.TV reign is all said and done, it will be Sesame Workshop that pulled off the real coup of 100% ownership of the character rights.

Chinchilla

Reaction score
Disney and Muppet Character Names

Ten years ago, when our beloved Jim Henson and not-so-beloved Disney were negotiating the interrupted and incompleted sale of the Muppets, I remember seeing some co-produced thing (a book or magazine or product label or something else in print) that really bothered me. The Muppet characters' names were shown in this way:

"What will our friends MISS PIGGY© and KERMIT© do next?"

It totally destroys my precious illusion that the Muppets live and love. How can I sympathise with NAME©? It has no heart or soul... I fear this will happen again if/when Disney owns them.

For some reason I feel this suspension of disbelief is important. Perhaps it is akin to deliberately not seeing the puppets' arm rods, etc.

Or have I not been paying attention, and this is currently happening already? :cry: