Eisner confirms Disney could buy Henson and Muppets soon

MrsKalabash

Reaction score
Re: Disney is better than limbo

Originally posted by jeffy
Disney is clearly controversial. Particularly, we fear they will squash the creative spirit that the Muppets are all about, and **** them for a buck.

But frankly, the Muppets have been struggling against extermination for twelve years now. Even though Disney is not as good as they could be, it's better than the netherworld that the Muppets have been floating pointlessly in for so long now.

It is possible that this may work out well for the Muppets, and *highly* possible that they will end up in a better place than they could be.

My $.02. :confused: :eek: :boo: :smirk:

I'll add my own $.02 to the kitty, and say that your view *precisely* matches with mine. :crazy:

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
I have to admit that it's really hard for me to form an opinion on this because there is so little info. I mean any thing could happen with this, as is shown by everyone's posts.

Everything from:

Disney decides to dump money into the Muppets and push them forward into the mainstream leaving the JHC to steer the ship with movies, TV shows and merchandise.

to...

Disney purchases the rights to the characters, shelves the puppets and starts making "Kermit & Mickey" saturday morning cartoons.

So, I'm just anxious... Not in anticipation, not in dread, just anxious...

- Derek

radionate

Reaction score
I'm also wondering what will happen to all the fan sites should Disney purchase the gang.

I know they are pretty tough on policing unauthorized use of their characters, and I wonder if that would spill into fan sites?!?! :concern:

Luke

Reaction score
Re: New Article

Originally posted by Bean Bunny
`It would make sense because Disney is an international brand and with its television channels has more possibilities than EM.TV to distribute the Muppets,'' said Marcus Moser, an analyst at GBC in Augsburg.
You see already this is going the way the doubters might have expected, they haven't even got them yet and the emphasis is 'distribution'. Where's the articles that say Disney is planning to invest millions in the Henson Company and are planning to relaunch the Muppets with new shows and movies ? This is where Disney are clever, they'll make their money out of just re-running the old shows and putting out tons of kiddy orientated mass produced merchandise of way lower quality than we see now.

Maybe if we're lucky we might see a new Muppet project once every two years, and maybe they might even do a guest appearance on TV a few times a year - as for 'adult orientated' - no chance, these are the people who wanted to kiddify 'ALF', they'll probably just make the Muppets 'family' again which isn't all that bad but i think it means the Fox deal will be a non-starter. If Disney doesn't plan to do much new Muppet stuff aside from once in a while then do you think they'll be able to justify keeping the Henson Company studios open and all the staff employed on contract ? It's more likely after a while Disney will just suck up the Henson Company and it'll just be a name. People were dissapointed when the NY Workshop was moved to a tiny office and loads of staff got the push - what are you guys gonna say if they ever close the entire place and just keep a few management in their jobs and a handful of puppeteers on freelance contracts ?

In a way, i'm actually FOR it as a fan - Disney may well end up being the best thing for the Muppets in terms of what you see on TV or what you can buy in the shops, but in terms of REAL LIFE - the people who work at Henson, and the history/tradition of the company it could really work out badly for them. I just wonder how people here are going to act when things start to get 'Disneyfied' and it becomes obvious Diz start making moves in their own interests rather than Henson's. I think Valentine (and it may still happen) has the best deal in Henson's interests - they were going to put some media savvy guys in at the top to direct both the buisness/creative operations, and they would have had EMTV's distribution arm (though not as good as Disneys) backing them up. It would have meant that Henson kept at least some independance and were able to continue in the same direction they've been going since the anniversary.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney is better than limbo

Originally posted by scarecroe
You mean whore? As in "whoring out the Muppets"?
OH NO! LOOK WHAT I'VE STARTED!

Sarah:embarrassed:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Disney. Let's talk product.

Has anybody been to a Disney Store lately and seen the crap they sell now? It's just junk. Ton's of Barbie Pink girls' clothing, and all the collectible stuff and media (books, videos, etc) are gone. The toys stink, the plush dolls are okay. But, going to The Disney Store anymore is like a trip to WalMart, or going out with someone expecting steak and taters and ending up at the $1.00 McDonald's Menus!!

If they begin making Muppets merchandise, I don't see anything favorable at all. They will be selling over-priced under-quality products of characters that deserve better.

I say that because that's what they do with Disney characters!!

TV: What has Disney got on TV? I'm thinking and they really don't have anything "Disney" that I like. Mouseworks/house of mouse is cool, but really just a big cartoon advertisement for other videos. They can make 30 minute cartoons about Mickey, Donald, and gang, but won't. They have to throw in Genie, and Beast, and all those weird characters that shouldn't be there.

MOVIES: Animated films are good, once in a while the live-action films are good; too many direct to video cheapquels.

I'm still doomsday-sayer over this purchase if it goes through and PRAY TO GOD I get proved wrong!! OH, if they buy JHC, I HOPE HOPE HOPE I'm wrong!!

But I was right about the EM.TV sale!

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Re: Re: New Article

Originally posted by Luke
Maybe if we're lucky we might see a new Muppet project once every two years, and maybe they might even do a guest appearance on TV a few times a year
If that's the case, we're already the luckiest people in the world.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Wow, this is weird. I finally cave in slightly to Luke's pro-Disney stance, and he takes the OPPOSITE side of the debate! LOL!

Disney probably isn't going to be all that great for the Muppets, but I still don't know who else there is. Valentine dropped out a couple of weeks ago; I don't know why people keep talking about him. Plus, the person they have in charge of the animation division and the person in charge of the Disney Stores will not necessarily be the same person in charge of the Muppets.

In terms of distribution, I'm sure there will be more videos and merchandise (and what's wrong with that?) but I HAVE to believe if Disney is going to pay millions for the Muppets, they're going to want to actually put them in new productions for continued profitability.

Anyway, that's my two cents. God bless our troops.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
He he he!

Bible prophecy: "Disney will buy out the Jim Henson Company, and then Armageddon will come."

:smile:

Originally posted by sarah_yzma
runs out of room screaming

Sarah
*chases after*

Wait! Come back here! You don't like this?

:embarrassed:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
He he he!

Bible prophecy: "Disney will buy out the Jim Henson Company, and then Armageddon will come."
Disney already made "Armageddon." Ooooh, the other one.