1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by JimAndFrank, May 12, 2016.

1. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Active Member

Oh give it up will you! It's over. Will never see the Muppets on tv again and ABC will die.

2. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Like Jim, I'm just being ridiculously optimistic. The show is over, but the Muppets aren't. I firmly believe they will move on. It's fine if you don't, but please don't come raining over my parade.

jvcarroll, heralde and FletchySRF3088 like this.
  3. Big Bird Fan

Big Bird Fan Active Member

I thought this would happen, but it still sucks to have it officially canceled. :(

The unfortunate reality of TV today is that if you don't make a good first impression you're probably screwed. The show started off too controversial, and that was that. I'm certain that if the show started like it ended we'd be getting a second season for sure.

I really hope Netflix or Hulu or some other channel picks it up. I don't have either of those things, but I'd gladly buy a subscription just to watch The Muppets.

What I hate the most about this is that I'm worried we'll never get as much focus on the non main Muppets for a long time. Uncle Deadly went from a character I knew in name only to one of my favorite Muppets! Yolanda wasn't just some background character, she was actually involved with the show. It was great to see another female Muppet fleshed out a bit. We not only FINALLY got to see Robin again, but he had an entire episode centered around him! I could go on, but you get the point. These types of things are why I was so excited for the show to begin with. With a movie you don't have time for all this, but a TV show can explore all these other characters.

At least we can buy the show digitally. I'd prefer DVD/blu-ray but at least it's something.

4. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Active Member

I'm sorry, I'm just upset and starting to give up hope.

JimAndFrank likes this.
  5. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

Heartbroken. BIG MISTAKE ABC!!!!

6. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Well here, this is what I've been trying to say.

Mo Frackle and Colbynfriends like this.
  7. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I'm too depressed to say anything.

8. backpackmina

backpackmina Active Member

Is it bad that I saw this coming a mile away? :sigh: :(

9. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Hey we still have those new Pigs in Space videos to look forward to!

Colbynfriends likes this.
  10. Quazimoto

Quazimoto Active Member

I'm sadden by this news. Not surprised at all, but very saddened.

Whether or not we see something significant from The Muppets again (ie a show or movie), at least we have a bunch of Muppety goodness to look back on. I really enjoyed this new series. It was a breath of fresh air in a television landscape dominated by reality tv trash, fake competition shows, heavy artsy dramas, and uncreative comedy.

I do hope someone like Netflix or Hulu picks up the series and allows The Muppets to thrive without the hindrance of network TV politics.

Colbynfriends likes this.
  11. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

That would be a bit extreme though wouldn't it? I mean sure, they haven't done as much as we the fans would have liked (still no Season's 4/5 of TMS), but maybe that's not the answer.
    I kind of feel, no matter WHICH company the Muppets are a part of, they may still have this ratings turn out. I don't think it's necessarily ABC or Disney's fault. I feel a lot of it, again, it's a hard world out there in TV Land (the broad range of TV not the channel). It's got a lot of compitition now, Hulu, Netflix, DVD/Blu Ray, heck even Youtube, video games and smart phones. All things that drive business (and viewers) away.
    It would be nice to give them a platform to just, be themselves. Maybe more viral content was the answer. I felt their Bohemian Rhapsody video from a few years ago was pretty popular. Kodochrome and Writing on the Wall seemed to do pretty well also.
    Also, again, it wasn't just The Muppets that got Axed. (true this is MUPPET Central but lets look at the bigger picture). A good 75% of shows on their lineup didn't get renewed. Maybe the market for shows in that style is fading. Maybe in a few years the troupe will regroup and be back with something new and different for us.
    I do hope they end up releasing a box set of episodes though. Would be nice to have tangible copies of this.

oknazevad likes this.
  12. backpackmina

I forgot about those! Did they announce when they'll air?

13. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Very disappointing for all of us Muppet Fans.:cry:

Colbynfriends and backpackmina like this.
  14. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Nope, we still have no idea but I bet it'll probably be this summer.

15. backpackmina

I wonder if they'll continue to maintain all of those Twitter handles. Most if not all of everyone's posts advertised the show.

16. GonzoMan

GonzoMan Member

I know exactly how you feel.

17. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

ABC cancelling the show I don't mind watching practically frosts me. There was plenty for the crew to explore, too. It's not every day we see a voice actor get involved with the Muppets (Phil LaMarr did appear working at the hospital, but was uncredited). I was also expecting a point in time when Fozzie will express his hatred towards Jay Leno - I did NOT like how that one subplot with Fozzie ended. I guess they'll leave a lot to the imagination.

18. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Active Member

very disappointing, what now a new movie maybe ?

not to long ago may be about 10 years ago one of my favorite short lived shows only got one season over the summer on ABC, THE GOOD FAMILY! The Good Family had such potential:sympathy:
    so this is not new to ABC ... and my favorite all time show FUTURAMA Enough said.

BlakeConor14 likes this.
  19. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

OH CRAP. BUT JUST LIKE JIM WE WILL KEEP ON GOING UNTIL WE GET ANOTHER

20. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP