Academy Awards

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
there were no clear favorites for last year too when denzel won for best actor and halle won for best actress...everyone in the press couldn't believe that the academy had it in them to pick to african americans....but in truth, i think denzel is a great actor and i was glad he won last year..i never saw monsters ball but heard halle berry did a great job..so she got my vote!

i kind of like how the academy people keep the viewers guessing on who is going to win, even if you don't liek the person they picked..makes it more interesting to watch...

ryan

sidcrowe

Reaction score
I just wanna say that I love cake, Michael Moore, and that if we'd all love more, Michael Moore wouldn't have had to make that little Oscar speech...that got shouted down.

I love you guys :smile:

-Sid

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Uh, he would've gotten the boos at any ceremony.

It was the way he said it.
I agree. Michael Moore was out to cause trouble. He wanted to stir people up. Okay, so he's against this war, but he didn't come across as very peace-loving to me. I'm not crazy about everything that Bush has done during his presidency, but to attack him so vehemently like that... I think it was uncalled for, and definitely untactful. He didn't win any points with me on that one.
Erin

CraigD

Reaction score
Originally posted by ryhoyarbie
there were no clear favorites for last year too when denzel won for best actor and halle won for best actress...everyone in the press couldn't believe that the academy had it in them to pick to african americans....but in truth, i think denzel is a great actor and i was glad he won last year..i never saw monsters ball but heard halle berry did a great job..so she got my vote!

i kind of like how the academy people keep the viewers guessing on who is going to win, even if you don't liek the person they picked..makes it more interesting to watch...

ryan
I was disappointed that Denzel Washington won last year. He gave a solid performance in a solid film. It was nothing out of the ordinary. He's a great actor, who's given far better performances in superior films.

Halle Berry thoroughly deserved her award, however. Monsters Ball was a pretty powerful film. Billy Bob Thornton deserved at least a nomination for his work in that piece also.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I was rather disappointed at the small amount of critical attention that John Q. received. I thought that was a very powerful movie.
Erin

CraigD

Reaction score
I thought John Q was fairly weak. It had a top cast and its heart was in the right place, but it was awfully derivative and predictable. Definately no Dog Day Afternoon.

Craig

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CraigD
I was disappointed that Denzel Washington won last year...He's a great actor, who's given far better performances in superior films...Billy Bob Thornton deserved at least a nomination for his work in that piece also.
Originally posted by CraigD
I thought John Q was fairly weak. It had a top cast and its heart was in the right place, but it was awfully derivative and predictable. Definately no Dog Day Afternoon.
Couldn't agree more. I also am very glad that Nicole received the Oscar this year. Her performances in Moulin Rouge and especially The Others really made me take notice of an actress I thought was mediocre. I did like Julianne Moore for the award too, but I think we'll be seeing even more of her. No pun intended.

John Q was a pretty good idea with a top cast and crew, but the elements just didn't fall together. It happens. It touched me and is better than a lot of stuff out there, but not really Oscar-worthy.

I was kind of upset that Road to Perdition didn't get much of a nod. I guess it was missing a little something too, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm not even a big Hanks fan. I think he was better in that film than Forrest Gump.

Chicago best picture? I loved it, but I'm still not sure if it is Best Picture, but I disagree with the winner in that catagory more often than not. Chicago to me was great, but didn't hit it out of the park. Glad to see musicals are back!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
John Q was a pretty good idea with a top cast and crew, but the elements just didn't fall together. It happens. It touched me and is better than a lot of stuff out there, but not really Oscar-worthy.
I guess you might be right about it not being Oscar material, but I still think it deserved better reviews than the ones I heard. Very few of my friends liked it either. Oh, well...

I was kind of upset that Road to Perdition didn't get much of a nod. I guess it was missing a little something too, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm not even a big Hanks fan. I think he was better in that film than Forrest Gump.
That was the one movie I really wanted to see this past year and didn't. Now I have to settle for the small screen. I am a big Tom Hanks fan, and the movie looked very promising, even though I am sure I would have to have a pillow ready to shield my eyes in a few places. Although Hanks said they made great efforts to avoid gratuitous violence, we're still dealing with pretty bloody subject matter... But I do really want to see "Road to Perdition."

Glad to see musicals are back!
Me too! :smile:

Erin

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Road to Perdition is not the family friendly film the previews made it out to be. It is pretty violent and more than earned its R rating. I liked Hanks in it because it's a restrained role. He doesn't play it up. The one other performance of his this subtle and effective was in Philadelphia. But here, he speaks volumes with his stillness. I like to think he really earned his second Oscar for this film. It aint the feel good movie of the year, but it's definitely one of my top 10 for 2002. I thought for sure it would be more of a contender.:confused:

CraigD

Reaction score
I enjoyed Road to Perdition also, and was somewhat surprised it didn't feature more at the Oscars. Perhaps the fact that it was released quite a while ago played a part.

Hanks is an actor who didn't impress me much when he first started making dramas like Forrest Gump. I much preferred him in his comical roles.

But more recent films like Cast Away, Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile and Catch Me If You Can have made me more of a fan. There's no doubting his strong eye for good projects.

Craig