Adventures in Wonderland

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Yeah I always liked them too, in fact they're pretty much the only version of the Tweedles I've ever liked, lol. Usually they're just too goofy and annoying for me. But in this version the Tweedles are actually the ones with the common sense and I enjoyed their sibling rivalry as well.
Totally. In various productions the tweedles are either just there and do nothing for the story (Tim Burton) or are just annoying (Disney cartoon)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Totally. In various productions the tweedles are either just there and do nothing for the story (Tim Burton) or are just annoying (Disney cartoon)
That's simple.... they ain't s'posed to be there half the time. They're from the other Alice story, but since Disney did their version first, everyone figured it was just easier to steal from that version than read the book themselves. I love how it took Sesame Street to point that out. Seriously... Ernie and Bert have a cameo in Abby in Wonderland dressed like the Tweedles, and Bert complains their part is small (or something) and Ernie says that their inclusion was based on a "common misconception."

It's no different from how we THINK they said "we don't need no stinkin' badges" in Treasure of Serra Madre instead of the true line "We don't need to show you no stinkin' badges." Just shows how the most popular version of something blastardizes our culture... look at Wizard of Oz.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
That's simple.... they ain't s'posed to be there half the time. They're from the other Alice story, but since Disney did their version first, everyone figured it was just easier to steal from that version than read the book themselves. I love how it took Sesame Street to point that out. Seriously... Ernie and Bert have a cameo in Abby in Wonderland dressed like the Tweedles, and Bert complains their part is small (or something) and Ernie says that their inclusion was based on a "common misconception."

It's no different from how we THINK they said "we don't need no stinkin' badges" in Treasure of Serra Madre instead of the true line "We don't need to show you no stinkin' badges." Just shows how the most popular version of something blastardizes our culture... look at Wizard of Oz.
Yes! I agree so much! Wizard of Oz is a major example. It's not ruby slippers! It's silver shoes! Muppets at least got that part right!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
That's simple.... they ain't s'posed to be there half the time. They're from the other Alice story, but since Disney did their version first, everyone figured it was just easier to steal from that version than read the book themselves.
I actually was aware of that, although I never read the books myself so I wouldn't know just how prominent they are.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I actually was aware of that, although I never read the books myself so I wouldn't know just how prominent they are.
I think you'd enjoy them Sgt Floyd. They have all the same characters just as peculiar as in the kids' show. (with the exception of the tweeedles. they're too serious in my own opinion)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes! I agree so much! Wizard of Oz is a major example. It's not ruby slippers! It's silver shoes! Muppets at least got that part right!
Well to be fair, they knew it was silver shoes, they just didn't think they looked nice on screen, lol. Aesthetics took a back seat to accuracy. :wink:

That's simple.... they ain't s'posed to be there half the time. They're from the other Alice story,
But even when they have put the Tweedles in their proper context (such as the 1985 film which puts them in the "Looking Glass" half of the story), I still have no idea what their purpose is and I still don't particularly enjoy them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well to be fair, they knew it was silver shoes, they just didn't think they looked nice on screen, lol. Aesthetics took a back seat to accuracy. :wink:
Yeah, but since, every parody, retelling, re-envisioning, and otherwise reference directly borrowed from the 1930's movie... either directly (the weird 1990's WOZ cartoon from DIC) or referential (like the 1980's WOZ anime for example, even though it managed to do the OTHER books)... even the Musical version of Wicked borrows from the movie to some extent (the book, however, doesn't). It would be like every Jungle Book retelling/parody have a jazz musician monkey.

But when Disney does a movie, you can tell that's the only thing people reference or parody. I love the Garfield episode where there's a cricket who's Garfield's conscience, and Garfield threatens him with the actions of the actual book... you know... where Pinocchio accidentally kills the cricket with a hammer.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score

But even when they have put the Tweedles in their proper context (such as the 1985 film which puts them in the "Looking Glass" half of the story), I still have no idea what their purpose is and I still don't particularly enjoy them.
That's interesting about the Ruby Slippers. I never knew that before.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's interesting about the Ruby Slippers. I never knew that before.
Yeah and it does make sense when you think about it. They were trying to get across the idea that Kansas was drab and gray and Oz was colorful and bright. And silver just would have been too reminiscent of the gray. It's one of those examples of why it's so difficult to turn a book into a movie because they're very different mediums.

But when Disney does a movie, you can tell that's the only thing people reference or parody. I love the Garfield episode where there's a cricket who's Garfield's conscience, and Garfield threatens him with the actions of the actual book... you know... where Pinocchio accidentally kills the cricket with a hammer.
Lol, oh yeah I do remember that!

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Yeah and it does make sense when you think about it. They were trying to get across the idea that Kansas was drab and gray and Oz was colorful and bright. And silver just would have been too reminiscent of the gray. It's one of those examples of why it's so difficult to turn a book into a movie because they're very different mediums.

Lol, oh yeah I do remember that!
That's very true.