1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Sorry, love the Spongebob and the Pepperoni! ;)
  2. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

*shrugs* For me, the 'roni has no real taste & is bland, just as the Sponge's humor is bland, given that it's nothing that hasn't been done before & that it is only golden when the title character and his brain-dead bafoon of a best friend act like ignoramouses.

*is totally a Squidward, as he is the only character to whom this viewer can relate to on the show (and also note that this viewer only watches it, because his parents essentially force him to watch it with his Sponge-obsessed sister, whilst they handle the duties of cooking and paying bills)*
  3. DanDanStrawberry

DanDanStrawberry Active Member

You absolute legend! :D *wants to be you :p*
  4. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

*blushes* <3 Thanks, but I'm totally not. I didn't say I played them all decently. *is as good as Squidward on the clarinet and has kinda fallen out of the loop on guitar and piano* XP
  5. DanDanStrawberry

DanDanStrawberry Active Member

Well, I don't know who or what Squidwad is so I'm going to continue to be impressed :)
  6. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

Squidward= clarinet playing that's equivilent to a traffic jam. ;)

LOL okies. XP
  7. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

The problem? Squidward THINKS he's good! ^__^
  8. heralde

Hmm, I must be eating a different kind of Pepperoni. Hehe ;)

And with Spongebob, what's interesting is usually people say he's not funny or too weird, and I always defend him by saying it's nothing we haven't seen (and enjoyed) before. :)

Though I do love Squidward, he's so funny. Kinda reminds me of a modern Boober, lol.
  9. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

The thing is...people clamor for originality and yet, expect the same old, cliched stuff. Spongebob is only funny when he and Patrick act like doofuses & that gets tiring by the first few minutes. Thus, how the show could last as long as it has astounds me, considering it did to Nick what Pokemon did to what is now The CW, what Yu-Gi-Oh! & 4Kids did to FOX, what the teenybopper garbage did to both The Disney Channel & the aquired ABC block called ABCKids, what Jetix did to Toon Disney, what Elmo's corporate control & Barney/Teletubbies and programs like 'em did to PBS, what [adult swim] & cartoons like Squirrel Boy did to Cartoon Network, the some of the mediocre late 90's sitcoms (that are still running on other stations in some places) did to Nick-at-Nite & TVLand, etc.
  10. heralde

See from my perspective, Spongebob is like Puff n Stuff from the '70s. A kids show that was just risque enough for older people to identify with. Not just anyone could write the typical Spongebob script.

Hmm, I really enjoy the English version of Yu Gi Oh! but I do think the original Japanese program is a much deeper show, lol. It's sad that American companies think kids can't take deeper things (even though it's been done so many times! Duh lol)
  11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Oh PLEASE!

SpongeBob SquarePants is nothing but mindless crap! It has no solid story structure, the characters are either brainless dopes, or exasperated morons, and watching that show does nothing but melt your brain and destroy the cells in it.

H.R. Pufnstuf, on the other hand, ended up attracting an audience that would abuse illegal substances (mostly college kids who were drunk and/or stoned from the Friday night before), and saw how psychadelic, technicolored, and acid-trippy the show was, hence now so many people are convinced that the show was drug-induced.
  12. heralde

Yeah see, but again, we've seen all of that in other shows that we do like. I think people have this block in their heads about liking Spongebob, just because it's Spongebob. Of course I could be wrong...but I'm happy! :crazy:

Well, the world isn't perfect. :halo:

And I'm sorry, I love H.R. PufnStuf, but mushrooms that smoked? As innocent as that may have been, I wouldn't have gone there!

But it's probably not a good idea to dwell on that, hehe.
  13. D'Snowth

Well so do I, I just failed to see how it could be compared to SpongeBob...:batty:
  14. heralde

Well I was saying through a similar audience demographic. :)
  15. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Agreed. How it has stood the test of time is unfathomable to me, personally, though I understand that it is for children of today's problematic generation. :p

Heck, the show's name implies that the Kroffs' were onto something in more ways than one when they created the show! :D
  16. D'Snowth

Oh-kay...
  17. heralde

Now, now, the show's name was inspired by Puff the Magic Dragon (and for the last time there's nothing weird about that song!) Lol ;)
  18. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

If you say so. :rolleyes:
  19. heralde

Believe me, if PufnStuf was "that way" it wouldn't have been nearly as entertaining. ;)
  20. D'Snowth

It's true.

Sid Krofft, Marty Krofft, Si Rose, and Lennie Weinrib all confirmed that they struggled for a title for the show, and for this character, and since "Puff the Magic Dragon" was such a popular song, that's what inspired them to try to come up with a similar name... they then decided that since the show was about "Puf" and all of this other stuff, they called him Pufnstuf. The H.R., as confirmed again by Sid Krofft, Marty Krofft, Si Rose, and Lennie Weinrib were the initials for "Royal Highness" backwards.

Again, because of the stoned audience, they believe that the "H.R." stood for "hand rolled", and apparently "puffin' stuff" was a slang term meant smoking marijuana.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.