Anyone going to see Tangled?

Nick22

Reaction score
i'm going to see tangled this weekend. i think it looks pretty good, and i'm excited to see it. i'm also rully hoping that the thing about disney not doing anymore fairy tales isn't true. it would be plain stupid if they stopped making fairy tales.

i also think that, as kermiebaby said, disney princess movies are NOT just for little girls. i'm not a little girl, and i LOVE disney princess movies.

muppet baby

Reaction score
i'm going to see tangled this weekend. i think it looks pretty good, and i'm excited to see it. i'm also rully hoping that the thing about disney not doing anymore fairy tales isn't true. it would be plain stupid if they stopped making fairy tales.

i also think that, as kermiebaby said, disney princess movies are NOT just for little girls. i'm not a little girl, and i LOVE disney princess movies.
cool nick i hope that you enjoy the movie i can not wait to see it . Wow i hope that it is not true tht disney will not do anymore fariy tales . i mean that is how disney got started , i think walt disney if he heard that from heaven i think he would be very upset and i i know being a life long disney fan and the fariy tales being my faverite part of disney .

my mom and i are going to movie tavern in Fort worth texas to see this movie . we have not been to one of the new theaturs with recliners and tables and really good food .:excited:

my mom and i are on vaction there with my dad for the next 2 weeks . i hope that Lubbock will get a theatre like that some day and we are going to see it in 3D there also . We can see 3D movies in lubbock though , thank goodness.:wink:

Nick22

Reaction score
i saw tangled yesterday, and it was hysterical! i was laughing like crazy. it's definitely worth seeing.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I've been saying this for years. After Pocahontas, Disney took flack for doing Princess movies. When they stopped and did stuff like Atlantis, they took flack for NOT doing fairy tale films. It's quite the balancing act, isn't it? Then you look at The Lion King. It had very fairy tale like elements to it, but it wasn't one... And look how good that did. It even had a DTV sequel that was HIGH quality (didn't see 1 1/2 yet), not to mention a pretty decent run of a TV show. And it didn't need an Ariel/Jasmine/Belle type figure. The of course the 2002 surprise hit, Lilo and Stitch. Who would have thought a movie about a murderous, violent alien life form dancing to Elvis music would have been a hit

We can all agree the movie Shrek was an obvious stab at Disney, mocking fairy tales as a specific outlet. Of course, the parody fairy Tale genre exploded with copies, including the HORRIBLE Happily N'ver After films. There's just something about the trailers they made that seems to accentuate "This is a Fairy Tale with an attitude." And even if that isn't the basis of the movie (the Disney movies always had some contemporary jibe to them... from Pinocchio's reference to at the moment jazz music to Aladdin's Genie), it sure looks like they're exploiting that angle. I like the design as far as CGI goes, and I like the softness of cartoony looking characters.... something about the realism of Shrek is bordering on uncanny valley, so glad they dumped that look for other films.

And goodness knows, when Disney comes up with their own tales, it's hit or miss. At least with the audience. The Rescuers did pretty well, Oliver and Company did mehmmehmmeh even though I LOVED it... The Disney Princess thing came out of the fact their first big rejuvenation hit was Little Mermaid and they rode that success with Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin (as it did have a princess to it)... of course, Lion King, while it did have a royal standing, Nala isn't considered a Princess for some reason and therefore, it wasn't a princess movie. Then came a few more before they branched out into mythology and adaptations of written works and those just didn't fare as well. I'm one of the few people that LIKED Hercules (though the romantic angle seemed a bit forced). That said, their 1980's animated movies have become a cult thing. And it's too bad they couldn't make a better Ducktales film. I'd LOVE to see a Scrooge McDuck movie at some point (it's bound to do well in Europe).
Great points man, I'm with you 100%, and until your post, I didn't know anyone DIDN'T like Hercules! That's one of my favorites! And bringing Uncle Scrooge back? HECK YEAH! I'd also love to see another movie about Elliott the Dragon! Who's with me? A third Rescuers film would be great too, imo.

Back to business: Why can't they just accept that their storytelling is where they need work and move on? Why can't they realize that their audience is NOT JUST ONE DEMOGRAPHIC? And why oh WHY can't they just put me in charge? ! ?

Oops, that last one... I might've gone over the top. :halo:

But really, c'mon Disney! I read their Facebook response to this article earlier today, but it seems like backlash pr control more than anything. Yeah, Tangled grossed almost 40 million this weekend, but imo, I think it's more of the fans making sure Disney continues to make classic fairy-tale films, by speaking with their wallets and giving their money to a fairy-tale film now, not cuzza the "hip" and "edgy" take on the classic story. Heh, in the article I linked to above, it talks about how Disney execs weren't happy with how Princess and the Frog did at the box office, that it was all due to it being about a princess, and having "princess" in the title, some garbage excuse like that. Hmm, how about this Disney: it didn't do so good cuz you changed the story! It's supposed to be "The FROG Prince"! Also, you decided to go a different way with the music, instead of going with the Alan & Howard PROVEN SUCCESS style! DERP! I mean, a couple of jazz-inspired tunes woulda been fine, but you gotta have the sweeping love song in there somewhere, like "Part of Your World" or "A Whole New World", you know?

Wow, I get cruddy when it comes to messing with Disney classics, don't I? :big_grin:

I did decide that I'm going to support Tangled financially, by going to see it in theatres, but only as a way of telling Disney that I want MORE fairy-tale films, not less. But really, it's not about more or less of any genre, it's actually about this: keep doing what you've always done Disney, ALL KINDS OF GENRES, IN ALL KINDS OF MEDIUMS. Just make sure you've got a great story that'll really bring emotion and a great lesson home, K? And, great music only makes it better. Don't forget now! That's a good Disney.

Peace,
:smile:
Anthony
Lifelong Disney Fan, but mostly of traditional animation... obviously, lol.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think the Frog Princess was based on a different book/story than the Frog Prince. I'm not a big fan of Randy Newman in that I don't think his songs can cover a whole film the way traditionally animated films require (Toy Story required much fewer musical numbers). I like the movie, but there were definitely elements missing that they should have been aware of before release. Even if the name was an issue, it was much less of one than the rest of the flaws. I did like it anyway.

I don't blame Disney for renaming this film "Tangled" and revising the story a bit. Maybe they aren't ready to tell all of the fairytales in their archives right now, but I don't think the public will let them go without such classic Disney storytelling for very long.

I'll probably see Tangled soon, but not in 3D. I like my films without the gimmicks of Imax or 3D.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But really, c'mon Disney! I read their Facebook response to this article earlier today, but it seems like backlash pr control more than anything. Yeah, Tangled grossed almost 40 million this weekend, but imo, I think it's more of the fans making sure Disney continues to make classic fairy-tale films, by speaking with their wallets and giving their money to a fairy-tale film now, not cuzza the "hip" and "edgy" take on the classic story. Heh, in the article I linked to above, it talks about how Disney execs weren't happy with how Princess and the Frog did at the box office, that it was all due to it being about a princess, and having "princess" in the title, some garbage excuse like that. Hmm, how about this Disney: it didn't do so good cuz you changed the story! It's supposed to be "The FROG Prince"! Also, you decided to go a different way with the music, instead of going with the Alan & Howard PROVEN SUCCESS style! DERP! I mean, a couple of jazz-inspired tunes woulda been fine, but you gotta have the sweeping love song in there somewhere, like "Part of Your World" or "A Whole New World", you know?
Here's my look at it. Princess and the Frog could have done so much better had it came out Thanksgiving weekend like it SHOULD have. But Disney wanted to release that HORRIBLE Robert Zermeckis Christmas Carol 3-D SOOOPER Spektakulerrr with Jim Carrey early November instead. Now, had it a safe distance in front of The Chipmunks and Avatar. Come on. How many people actually thought BOTH films would have been successful? Me? I curse seeing passing up Princess and the Frog for the lousy Chipmunks sequel.

I still think there's some silliness going on here. It reminds me of that Arthur episode where he eats too much candy and parts of a wedding cake and has vivid nightmares about Fairy Tales... they seem very juvenile, sure... but when you get right down to them, they have to actually be cleaned up for children. Would kids WANT to see a version of Cinderella where the greedy evil Stepmother hacks off the toes and heals of her daughters so their feet can fit in the shoe? That would look TERRIBLE on a Burger King collector's glass and a commemorative Christmas ornament!

But really... kids play Super Mario, don't they? The plots are basically fairy tales anyway... Rescuing a Princess after all. And I'm sure a lot of them have crushes on Peach.

But again, as I said... Disney got flack from doing princess films, then they got flack for NOT doing them. They're worried about female protagonists? Lilo and Stitch... HELLO? Even the Dreamworks film Monsters VS Aliens was about a female protagonist (the 50 foot woman was the center character in the film). And face it, if you're talking "girly" factor, Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast were far more "Girly," but they were enjoyable for ANY demographic. They are wonderfully made, well crafted films. I think that transcends gender.

Changing the name was a desperate move to try to get boys to watch it. It gives the title an unwelcomed "We're so hip like everyone else was in the 2000's" Fractured Fairy Tale Shreky vibe. Even the previews seem to accentuate it. And I'm going to give this film a shot and see it, keeping in mind a LOT of previews are junk and never show the true metal of a film.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I saw Tangled on Thanksgiving day with my Auntie and I godda say that movie really exceeded my expectations, me and my aunt really enjoyed. In fact she said she liked it even better than the recent Disney (non-Pixar) movies of Princess and the Frog and Bolt. I really REALLY enjoyed it.

One thing I do want to point out as a weak point for this movie though without giving too much away is the music. Sorry to say but the music in this movie was very weak and WILL NOT be remember the way certain songs will be remembered in past Disney animated movies like Little Mermaid's "Under the Sea" and the such. Princess and the Frog without a doubt has better music than Tangled.

Godda give props to Mandy Moore as Rapunzel. She was fantastic in that role.

Overall, I was very VERY happy to have see it and YES I will be adding it to my Blu-Ray and/or DVD collection when it's available.

The only downside to seeing the movies were the god awful trailers. This is a bit off topic, but we saw trailers for Cars 2. the Justin Beiber movie, Disney's Prom, Gnomeo and Juliet, Smurfs, Yogi Bear and the new Chronicles of Narnia. They were a bit hard to sit though, :smile:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only downside to seeing the movies were the god awful trailers. This is a bit off topic, but we saw trailers for Cars 2. the Justin Beiber movie, Disney's Prom, Gnomeo and Juliet, Smurfs, Yogi Bear and the new Chronicles of Narnia. They were a bit hard to sit though, :smile:.
That happens with ANY movie you have to go to. I used to shout "I've seen detergents leave a better film" to them in theaters. Never caught yet.... the kids were always louder.

But I'll say what I said a while ago... Gnomeo and Juliet... the fact that Disney got stuck having to release that is a crime that should be served by all the people who made it. That's EXACTLY why there's so much hate for CGI films now... these lousy litle upstarts that just wanna make a Sharktales like film. And of course Justine Beiber gets a freaking movie. Bet it has no plot and is basically generic. As long as he never gets a TV show sitcom.

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
First Fred gets a movie and now Justin Beiber? Pretty soon we'll run out of untalented hacks to put in our films... but then we'll just make sequels of the films they were already in, right?

I was going to pass Tangled up because the trailer didn't impress me, but after reading this thread I think I may go see it after all. I don't go to the movies often, so when I do I want to make sure it's worth it. Bolt certainly took me by surprise. I kept forgetting that it wasn't a Pixar film while I watched it. I've yet to see Princess and the Frog, but I've heard good things about that movie, too.

I really wish it weren't CGI, though. CGI was cool at first, but now it seem like every animated movie needs to be done in it. Most of the time it seems the people who made the movie feel that since CGI is all "cutting edge" and whatever, that means they don't need to bother with writing a compelling story involving believable characters with some intelligent humor and memorable soundtrack.

I hate how "children" has become synonymous with the word "retards." Sorry if that word offends, but that's how I feel most people see our children. Just look at what's on TV for kids these days. There's obviously no thought behind it because they figure kids aren't bright enough to understand any thing more than that. Dubbed anime is a big example. Anything that might invoke provocative thought or powerful emotion gets removed. Our kids are a lot smarter than most people like to give them credit for.

This post turned out to be a lot longer than I intended it to be. :stick_out_tongue:

Mupp

Reaction score
The only downside to seeing the movies were the god awful trailers. This is a bit off topic, but we saw trailers for Cars 2. the Justin Beiber movie, Disney's Prom, Gnomeo and Juliet, Smurfs, Yogi Bear and the new Chronicles of Narnia. They were a bit hard to sit though.
The trailer for Cars 2 was hard for you to sit through?
Sheesh, have a heart. :frown: :cry:

To put a Pixar film like Cars 2 in the same group as The Smurfs and Yogi Bear movies is just insulting!

The trailers for Smurfs and Yogi Bear are bad and hard to watch because they are taking beloved childhood characters and turning them into ugly-looking, edgy movies only for the pure novelty and nostalgia factor, to say the least.

There is NOTHING annoying about the trailer for Cars 2.

Cars was a good movie!

I say again, have a heart! :cry:

I really wish it weren't CGI, though. CGI was cool at first, but now it seem like every animated movie needs to be done in it. Most of the time it seems the people who made the movie feel that since CGI is all "cutting edge" and whatever, that means they don't need to bother with writing a compelling story involving believable characters with some intelligent humor and memorable soundtrack.
What does the animation medium matter though?

A film's STORY is most important thing. Not the type of animation. Just because a film is hand-drawn does not automatically make it a good film. Hand-drawn films can suck if they have a bad story.

And as far as Disney, there is no need to worry about them doing CGI.

Story has become top priority again at Disney Animation. Thanks to John Lasseter being chief creative officer at Disney Animation in addition to Pixar.
John Lasseter (director of Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, and Cars) was the executive producer of Bolt, The Princess and the Frog, and Tangled, and will continue to executive produce Disney Animation films as well as at Pixar.

Both Bolt and Tangled had a stylized classic "painted" look.

And Disney will release another hand-drawn film next year.

I enjoyed Bolt too. :smile:

As I said before, I did enjoy Tangled, although I think I liked Bolt a little better.
I just love the characters and story in Bolt. :smile: