Bible Study

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I started reading the New Testament book of Luke today. I didn't realize all this time that Jesus and John the Baptist were technically cousins. John's mom was also The Virgin Mary's sister. Huh, that's very interesting. I had no idea :smile:.
Are you planning on reading the books in order?

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I started reading the New Testament book of Luke today. I didn't realize all this time that Jesus and John the Baptist were technically cousins. John's mom was also The Virgin Mary's sister. Huh, that's very interesting. I had no idea :smile:.
No, I've just been reading them in a random non-chronological order.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Fun fact: The Bible is actually REALLY messed up in its morals. Yes, at the core it’s good and all, but if you look around, like Thunder said, there’s some gruesome stuff in there that isn’t exactly family friendly!
There was one Bible story in particular that I can remember REALLY disturbing me when I first read it. It was when Lot offers up his own daughters to be gang raped. The concept in of itself is incredibly terrifying but then the whole rape scene gets described in some rather graphic detail. While I've still kept my religion despite my horrified reaction to that incredibly disturbing story and have remained the strong Bible believing Christian I've always been, I'd be lying if I said that the forementioned story didn't make me incredibly uncomfortable.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
There was one Bible story in particular that I can remember REALLY disturbing me when I first read it. It was when Lot offers up his own daughters to be gang raped. The concept in of itself is incredibly terrifying but then the whole rape scene gets described in some rather graphic detail. While I've still kept my religion despite my horrified reaction to that incredibly disturbing story and have remained the strong Bible believing Christian I've always been, I'd be lying if I said that the forementioned story didn't make me incredibly uncomfortable.
It is a very uncomfortable story... the reason Lot did that is because the men of the city wanted the two angles that came to vist Lot.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Pretty sure that Elizabeth and Mary were cousins, not sisters. Elizabeth was like 60 and Mary 14 and I dunno how any mother could pull that off successfully.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
It is a very uncomfortable story... the reason Lot did that is because the men of the city wanted the two angles that came to vist Lot.
There shouldn’t be any reason. I don’t know how someone can defend a passage that details how a father says, “Here, rape my daughters.” That’s morally disgusting and completely messed up.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Today’s bible verse:

Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.
—Romans 12:4-5

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I always have weird thoughts about this stuff -- like Highway to **** (AC/DC); great song, but isn't it blasphemy to sing along and celebrate it?