1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

CGI Muppet Babies Show?

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by erniebert1234ss, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

That is the Wild Impresario, from The Ghost of Faffner Hall. And you're right, he was performed by Richard Hunt; after Scooter, I'd have to say the Wild Imp is my favorite character performed by Richard.

-Kim
  2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

CGI Muppet Babies? humphf! I don't like the idea. Not at all. CGI anything concerning Muppets is a bad idea to me.

You know what? When I was a kid I wrote to Disney and suggested that they get the Henson Company to make Muppets of Disney Characters (from the Mickey Mouse genre) and produce a Movie with those. They said that to use puppets rather than animation would not be within keeping the integrity of those said characters.

I hope they don't become idiots and begin trying to CGI Muppets. That would definitely NOT be within the integrity of THOSE said characters. I mean, if it's a long shot and we need to see the full bodies walking or something, sure--special effects, no problem. But, why even then? They made kermit and Piggy and the gang ride bikes in GMC--who needs CGI?!

I don't!
  3. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

Yeah but Muppet babies WAS a cartoon to begin with :smirk:
  4. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

First of all, you don't know who my friends are. Secondly, one of my friends, Kate Monahan, is TOO wrapped up in anime and she and I are lessons in opposites. She has absolutely no restraint and I have restraint. Period.

BJ
  5. Skeeter Muppet

First of all, I never said a thing about your friends. Did you see me take any pot shots at your friends anywhere in my response?

Secondly, see the the quoted text up above? The way it's worded, one could infer that the "us" stated in that paragraph to mean Muppet fans in general, or animation fans in general. If you meant your friends, then maybe you should have made that a LITTLE clearer.

Thirdly, my initial reply still stands - people can be fans of both types of animation, and are fans of both types, something which the above quoted text seems to condemn.

-Kim
  6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Muppet Babies first appeared as a part of Miss Piggy's fantasy in The Muppets Take Manhattan. Not long after that the JHC began extending those fantasies of her's using all the Muppets as babies in the cartoon. Puppets first, cartoons second. Now...CGI?! Ugh. Animation would be better...but, then...I wonder. If they did the work like was done in Toy Story, and it's not that cheesey-cheap CGI, it could work! I just don't see a company using theatrical CGI to produce a television program.
  7. Skeeter Muppet

Well, we could always hope that the CGI is similar to or on par with the folks who did Reboot...

-Kim
  8. Baby Rowlf

Baby Rowlf Member

I find it ironic that Disney said that...and then later on went to create that one show that had Muppet versions of Winnie the Pooh. I forget what that show was called, but I don't think it's on anymore.

If they do anything production-wise withthe Babies, why not just break out the puppet versions?
  9. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

That show is "The Book of Pooh" and I dunno if they have new eps; the style of puppeteering was Bunraku, the Japanese form of puppetry, to set the story straight. And no, I find total puppetry in that style (bunraku) is just a tad bit annoying, kinda like the "old" marionette style (in other words, the marionettes you work from above, not below). I hope they scrap that idea altogether, that does get very annoying after a couple viewings.
  10. Cantus

Cantus New Member

I'm all for it. Henson hasn't really done much with the computer assisted puppetry. There were the mosquitos in Muppet Treasure Island, and obviously there was Waldo, but I don't recall it ever being done for all the puppets in a show involving only puppets... Well, you know what I mean anyway. To be honest, while I'd rather see the Muppet Babies in an animated format, preferrably back in the old cell animation, I wouldn't mind if they tried it the way they did the Book of Pooh. But I think Henson is far more traditional in their muppet productions to branch out that drastically. Wasn't the guy that did book of pooh an ex-henson-er?
  11. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

First off anime is part of animation and should be embraced. Though make no mistake that companies are going over-board with the anime style, just look at Teen Titans, none the less there is plenty of good anime. Secondly it sounds to me that it'll be puppets but enhanced with CGI. I don't like CGI when it's over-used but you can't sop the future. You have to embrace it, so there going try something different, it still puppets there just using CGI to do things they couldn't go b4. Let's give them a shot, I think that what kermit would do :)
  12. baby sinclair

baby sinclair New Member

Well disney does have a nice relation with square soft when the two collided in 2002 with the release of kingdom hearts.So if disneys partners with square we could see some really nice graphics put into this show.But if not all i have to tell disney either put nice cgi into this show or dont even bother and just leave it be.
  13. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well... off the bat, I disliked the idea of a CGI version of the show... but then again....

I do like how they combine puppetry and CGI. Sort of a step in the direction Henson took in JHH. It combines the classic art of puppetry with the modern use of CGI. I forgive it ONLY if they use the Waldo system. But then again, the Muppet Babies were cartoons (not counting the fantasy sequence in TMTM).

And I gotta agree with Skeeter on the Anime subject. Why the heck can't true buffs like both? You might as well count out Zagreb Studios' wild experimental stuff, or CGIs and Stop motion. Yeah, Pokemon is an anime, and it's lame... but how's that different from the 10,000 Scooby Doo and Archies ripoffs that Hanna Barbara made in the 1970's? All forms of art have their stinkeroos. Why cannot someone enjoy old warners cartoons, and not Akira or anything like that? In fact, a lot of popular cartoons from the 80's were Animes , as they were animated in Japan. Let's count them off. Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget, TMNT, and... (to tie this up in irony) MUPPET BABIES!!!! (As per my understanding)
  14. floydnjanicefan

floydnjanicefan Active Member

I actually think that the show will be pretty good. CGI can be impressive, and I think that Disney will do a great job with it. My concerns for the show are which characters they will use (please keep Rowlf, Scooter, and Skeeter), and which ones they add. I personally would like to see only the originals living in the nursery, and maybe more visiting characters (like what Bunsen and Beaker were in the original show.)

Visiting characters that I would like to see: Pepe, Johnny, Sal, Sam, Chef, Bunsen, Beaker, Dr. Teeth, Floyd, Janice, Zoot, Rizzo, Robin, Bean, Sweetums
  15. zanimum

zanimum New Member

Often the Academy picks actors and movies for ratings. Often it's "woah! the underdog won!" or in this case, "woah! the Academy likes something I like, they must be cool! I'll continue to care about them!"
  16. zanimum

zanimum New Member

They do need to work on it a bit, though. See the trailer for Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas to find out why:
    http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/moviefinder/products/3252103.html

Compared to classic Disney animation, it just seems stiff. The Muppet equal or surpass Disney in amount of movement (just look at Kermit speak), and so it could all end up a little awkward.
  17. Luke

Luke Active Member

Again, Disney are not making this show or using any of their own animation techniques to do things with it. Henson has the deal to make ALL Muppet shows and will be using their own in-house performance control system. Tests for this show have been done, character voices are in place. It's just up to Disney if they want to commision Henson to actually make it as part of the deal or not.
  18. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Hmm..that's looks interesting. I hope this isn't how all their productions will be done though. It's odd seeing these characters in this way. It's realistic and catoony all at once. The main problem seems to be with the mouth, but that shouldn't be an issue with muppets.

I hope Henson uses their Waldo technology. I assume they will. That seems to be the way they do CGI with muppets. If that is how it is done, and they use the main muppet performers, it will be cool. CGI has come such a long way. It should look cool.
  19. Luke

Luke Active Member

They aren't using the main Muppet performers, they are apparently using some of the newer Muppeteers. I think there are some names floating around somewhere. A Henson insider posted on another forum about it a while back.
  20. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Will these newer guys be doing the voices? I'd rather have Frank (or most likely Eric) do baby Fozzie and Piggy instead of some new guy. Of course the voices on the old cartoon weren't exactly matches either so I guess it doesn't matter.

Will this be a totally new show or a continuation of the old one?