CGI Muppet Babies Show?

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
Forgive me for my ignorance :embarrassed: , but Skeeter Muppet, could you please tell me who that person is in your avatar? I believe he's a character in a Henson production performed by Richard Hunt, but that's all I can determine at the moment. :confused: :concern:
That is the Wild Impresario, from The Ghost of Faffner Hall. And you're right, he was performed by Richard Hunt; after Scooter, I'd have to say the Wild Imp is my favorite character performed by Richard.

-Kim

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
CGI Muppet Babies? humphf! I don't like the idea. Not at all. CGI anything concerning Muppets is a bad idea to me.

You know what? When I was a kid I wrote to Disney and suggested that they get the Henson Company to make Muppets of Disney Characters (from the Mickey Mouse genre) and produce a Movie with those. They said that to use puppets rather than animation would not be within keeping the integrity of those said characters.

I hope they don't become idiots and begin trying to CGI Muppets. That would definitely NOT be within the integrity of THOSE said characters. I mean, if it's a long shot and we need to see the full bodies walking or something, sure--special effects, no problem. But, why even then? They made kermit and Piggy and the gang ride bikes in GMC--who needs CGI?!

I don't!

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
CGI Muppet Babies? humphf! I don't like the idea. Not at all. CGI anything concerning Muppets is a bad idea to me.

You know what? When I was a kid I wrote to Disney and suggested that they get the Henson Company to make Muppets of Disney Characters (from the Mickey Mouse genre) and produce a Movie with those. They said that to use puppets rather than animation would not be within keeping the integrity of those said characters.

I hope they don't become idiots and begin trying to CGI Muppets. That would definitely NOT be within the integrity of THOSE said characters. I mean, if it's a long shot and we need to see the full bodies walking or something, sure--special effects, no problem. But, why even then? They made kermit and Piggy and the gang ride bikes in GMC--who needs CGI?!

I don't!

Yeah but Muppet babies WAS a cartoon to begin with :smirk:

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Skeeter Muppet said:
So, those of us who actually *like* anime aren't "true animation buffs", is that it? Because we happen to like animated shows that come from Japan, we can't possibly enjoy or appreciate the animation that's done here? Remember: it was an anime that won the first Best Animated Picture Academy Award in 2003.

-Kim
First of all, you don't know who my friends are. Secondly, one of my friends, Kate Monahan, is TOO wrapped up in anime and she and I are lessons in opposites. She has absolutely no restraint and I have restraint. Period.

BJ

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
erniebert1234ss said:
First of all, you don't know who my friends are. Secondly, one of my friends, Kate Monahan, is TOO wrapped up in anime and she and I are lessons in opposites. She has absolutely no restraint and I have restraint. Period.

BJ
First of all, I never said a thing about your friends. Did you see me take any pot shots at your friends anywhere in my response?

Let's just say that I am steamed. I'm blowing off steam in the direction of Michael Eisner and hope to that Great Cub in the Sky that he actually listens to all of our complaints about this deal and the ones of us who are "true" animation buffs (No ANIME) who are really steamed at him right now because he's basically ruined us animation buffs' right to petition him for this, that or the other thing. I want to go in and kick him out so bad, it hurts me.
Secondly, see the the quoted text up above? The way it's worded, one could infer that the "us" stated in that paragraph to mean Muppet fans in general, or animation fans in general. If you meant your friends, then maybe you should have made that a LITTLE clearer.

Thirdly, my initial reply still stands - people can be fans of both types of animation, and are fans of both types, something which the above quoted text seems to condemn.

-Kim

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
Yeah but Muppet babies WAS a cartoon to begin with :smirk:
Muppet Babies first appeared as a part of Miss Piggy's fantasy in The Muppets Take Manhattan. Not long after that the JHC began extending those fantasies of her's using all the Muppets as babies in the cartoon. Puppets first, cartoons second. Now...CGI?! Ugh. Animation would be better...but, then...I wonder. If they did the work like was done in Toy Story, and it's not that cheesey-cheap CGI, it could work! I just don't see a company using theatrical CGI to produce a television program.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Muppet Babies first appeared as a part of Miss Piggy's fantasy in The Muppets Take Manhattan. Not long after that the JHC began extending those fantasies of her's using all the Muppets as babies in the cartoon. Puppets first, cartoons second. Now...CGI?! Ugh. Animation would be better...but, then...I wonder. If they did the work like was done in Toy Story, and it's not that cheesey-cheap CGI, it could work! I just don't see a company using theatrical CGI to produce a television program.
Well, we could always hope that the CGI is similar to or on par with the folks who did Reboot...

-Kim

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:

I don't!
I find it ironic that Disney said that...and then later on went to create that one show that had Muppet versions of Winnie the Pooh. I forget what that show was called, but I don't think it's on anymore.

If they do anything production-wise withthe Babies, why not just break out the puppet versions?

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Baby Rowlf said:
I find it ironic that Disney said that...and then later on went to create that one show that had Muppet versions of Winnie the Pooh. I forget what that show was called, but I don't think it's on anymore.

If they do anything production-wise with the Babies, why not just break out the puppet versions?
That show is "The Book of Pooh" and I dunno if they have new eps; the style of puppeteering was Bunraku, the Japanese form of puppetry, to set the story straight. And no, I find total puppetry in that style (bunraku) is just a tad bit annoying, kinda like the "old" marionette style (in other words, the marionettes you work from above, not below). I hope they scrap that idea altogether, that does get very annoying after a couple viewings.

Cantus

Reaction score
I'm all for it. Henson hasn't really done much with the computer assisted puppetry. There were the mosquitos in Muppet Treasure Island, and obviously there was Waldo, but I don't recall it ever being done for all the puppets in a show involving only puppets... Well, you know what I mean anyway. To be honest, while I'd rather see the Muppet Babies in an animated format, preferrably back in the old cell animation, I wouldn't mind if they tried it the way they did the Book of Pooh. But I think Henson is far more traditional in their muppet productions to branch out that drastically. Wasn't the guy that did book of pooh an ex-henson-er?