1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Character changes?

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by Baby Gonzo, Sep 2, 2008.

1. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Good thing too. Miss Piggy only has eyes for a certain green frog...
  2. muppet baby

muppet baby Active Member

yep so true, no one denie that truth .
  3. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Especially since they were married. XD
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Seems to me, Baby Bean was unsure of himself and constantly depressed... and somewhat of a loaner. I am reading into it too far, since clearly the writers didn't know what they wanted to do with him. He asserts his cuteness a bunch of times, but somehow I think he doesn't know how to make people like him. In "Whose Tale is it Anyway" he actually sings a song about how he wants to make everyone happy at the cost of his own happiness. In fact, that was the only episode where they gave him a character instead of hand me down lines from another character.

Freddy wasn't just a moron... he was a VINDICTIVE moron, constantly framing everything on his nemesis Red Herring.

Of course, other than his leadership skills, his adult counterpart lacked personality most of the time. The movie version, seems like Freddie Prinz Jr. played him as the "Pup" version... where as the What's new Scooby Doo? episodes made him a little more personable, but like his older self.

Without a doubt, that's where the idea came from. I feel the Gonzo crush on Piggy in TMS was something that came out of the character BEFORE the chicken attraction (which really started out with Dave's adlib "You didn't get the Part. Nice legs, though.")

However, it seems the one difference Baby Bunsen has over his adult self is the know-it-all factoid spewing in certain episodes... what's the one where they pretend to go to outer space, but it isn't "From a Galaxy Far Far Away?"
  5. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

And only once was he right!
  6. Baby Rowlf

Baby Rowlf Member

I hated Baby Bean. I thought he was unnecessary, and that his character was all wrong. In fact, I could never understand why in the case of Baby Bean and Baby Janice, their voices were deeper than their adult selves. As far as his personality went, I felt he was too much of a smart aleck, and never really fit in with the other Babies. And then later on, he seemed to be more of a replacement for Baby Rowlf, taking over the puppy's role as the straight man, and even in one instance playing the piano!

That would be, Where No Muppet Has Gone Before". :)
  7. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Perhaps sadly foreshadowing Rowlf's role in the franchise (as even adult Rowlf is sparingly used, nowadays)?
  8. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It's just hard introducing a new character into a group. And I don't know exactly why but in TV Land these forced-in new characters often just come across obnoxious. Maybe it is just a case of trying too hard.
  9. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Especially one as diverse as The Muppets.
  10. Drtooth

I had a thread about him some time back.. it's probably still here... And I just don't understand WHY they needed to add a new character into the show (a Baby Rizzo palling around with Gonzo would have made more sense). I heard that the president of the network's daughter didn't like Bunsen and Beaker.... of course, Bunsen's knowledge was replaced by the old timey experience of Uncle Statler and Waldorf.

Replacing characters couldn't have been about the merchandising... I mean, the main merchandise was Baby Kermit, Piggy, Sometimes Fozzie, Rowlf, and Gonzo. Occassionally Animal... rarely Scooter and Skeeter... no one else was made into figures or plush or anything.
  11. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

And since the main babies were the only ones being merchandised, Busen and Beaker should've stayed, in my honest opinion.
  12. Baby Rowlf

Baby Rowlf Member

Actually, on a side note, I think I've seen much more merchandising with Baby Animal than I have with Baby Rowlf. Baby Animal, along with Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, and Gonzo, seemed to make up the "main 5" of the Muppet Babies after awhile. This trend I've noticed has carried over to the marketing of their adult forms as well.
  13. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Poor Rowlf. He's getting left out. But at least, he still sporadically appears, unlike Scooter, who hasn't been seen much since Richard's passing.
  14. Drtooth

I dunno... I remember having a Hasbro Rowlf, and not seeing that much baby Animal stuff... All I know is that he was in the Happy Meal as a Canadian exclusive figure... but that's not the point.

On that subject, did Animal have any major changes aside from the voice actor change? If there were, I didn't notice them...
  15. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

He didn't have his chain or his drum set yet...XD
  16. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

There's also the fact that Animal and Gonzo were closer here when they are hardly even seen together in any other show or movie. In a way, Gonzo took over the Floyd caretaker role for Animal.
  17. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

And in a way, Animal was what Rizzo is now.
  18. Drtooth

Actually, I got sorta confused and was thinking of Character Changes in the show...

Anyway, other than the fact he was a lot sweeter and more innocent and Baby like, he basically stayed the same. Other than the Gonzo thing.....
  19. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

It's odd that the show's entitled Muppet Babies, and yet, the babies seem more like toddlers (as they can walk, talk, and imagine rather well) and Janice--when she arrived--seemed more like a 8-10 year old, considering her reading skill.
  20. Drtooth

Toddlers doesn't have the same punch when you add it to the title. And personally, Janice seems more like a 4-5 year old... and I'm pretty sure she's lying about reading... cuz there's no rock concert in Peter Rabbit...