1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Classic Muppets filming NBC Christmas special

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Sep 9, 2008.

1. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I do too! I was just pointing out that all of the Muppet feature projects or specials had sad moments in them that required some uplifting--which is what the Muppets do best.

2. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Sort of like how the Peanuts specials have had certain things always go wrong--Charlie Brown's team losing a ball game, Lucy pulling the football away, Schroeder treating lovelorn Lucy like garbage only to realize that she is his muse, Linus' first crush in Janice (ironically named, given the future RC Muppet sketch) getting cancer and nearly dying, Sally's love for Linus being unrequited, etc.--but yet, in the end, the gang happily ends up together, like in A Charlie Brown Christmas. Incidentally, since the Peanuts specials air on my NBC station, I wonder if the Charlie Brown special and this Muppets one will air back to back? ^_^

3. theprawncracker

...Right.

Anyway... :rolleyes:

4. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

Don't get me wrong, I adore Peanuts, but the comic and the TV specials and shows could be deeply depressing in a happy wrapper. It was around from the beginning... "Good 'ol Charlie Brown... How I hate him!"

What I liked best about VMX was the return of the Muppet Theater.

Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone know how long the Christmas special will be?

5. theprawncracker

The Muppet Newsflash can be sited as saying an hour long special... wait, no it can't. But they do have an AWESOME new picture up on the article! ! ! So I'm not sure how long... I think somewhere said an hour long though.

6. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

*faints with anticipation*

7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I thouhg ABC bought the rights to them and they only air on their network now.

Anyway, I'm so glad that this special is going to be an hour long! NBC always gives the Muppets a good amount of time!:)

8. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Depends on the network that Paramount wants the specials to air on.

9. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I don't see them as depressing, just realistic..but that could be because I am easily depressed myself, so I see that it was just suppose to be that way, not even with the happy wrapper part *lol*. Because even sad moments can be funny if you stop to think about them (not serious things like death, but little things, like being hungary all day, looking forward to an ice cream, and then dropping it)...

But to me, VMX was ten times more depressing..I just hope the new movie will not go that direction in its serious moments..realistic is one thing, but there is such a thing as being too serious I think :cry:

10. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Well, one thing I've always admired about the Muppets is how they can go through even sad things ... and deal with it. It's been very helpful in my own life.

11. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Indeed. They withstand adversity very well.

12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It's not that I think they shouldn't go though sad things it's just..the type of sad that was in VMX to me was almost unmuppety. Or maybe it was the tone, but whatever it was, I didn't feel like it was handled the way the muppets would have...

13. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

14. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

-.-I said that the way the saddness was placed and handled in tone within the story seemed unmuppety:cry:. It just did not seem how a muppet story would deal with it...and I hope that never gets repeated :o. I did not say anything about wanting no saddness at all :p

15. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Whilst I may be inclined to agree, others--including the makers of the film--tend to disagree. Such is life.

If it does, then it does. We may be fans and we may be able to get ourselves heard, but if the companies that produce these films want specifics things, then most likely said things will be included, unless all of us rally together against something (like--I dunno--the people possibly trying to seperate Kermit & Miss Piggy, as an hypothetical example).

And I never said you did.

16. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Since when does what the makers of the films feel have much to do with talking about how we feel about the movies on the forums here? (most of all the post-80's movies, where everyone has their own ideas about good and bad) :p Golly, there have been lots of movies made that the makers have loved but the public has hated :\. And just because some others disagree and love VMX should not mean I should never say anything about it and just say 'oh well, that is life' all the time -.-. We don't have to just agree with them all the time :)...

Given how badly it did I don't think it will :)...and having the right muppety tone to saddness is a how other hill of beans from trying to break up a long running canon couple IMHO...one is an element of good storytelling with the muppets, the other is staying true to long running characterization :)..and the later is a harder thing to do I think, since the muppets have had to pass hands and so much does depend on who is playing them...

Anyway, I've sure they learned from VMX and OZ and will be making a good movie that everyone can enjoy..it's been so long since I've ever seen the muppets on tv during the holidays ...Since I was very little actually...

17. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Well, a lot of us care what the performers have to say in regards to what they do.
    Agreed. And some even have cult-like followings to them, too.
    And I never meant that you had to. To each their own and all that. We all have our own views and just because someone says one thing & we disagree, that doesn't make us any less of fans, in all honesty.

18. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Ah, the performers are one thing, but I was talking about the writers ;). After all, the performers can only do their best with what the writers give to them, and sometimes it seems that the newer writers, while they think they are making a good story, are really not the best sort of writers for the muppets..maybe other movies, but not always the muppets :\
    Of course, like Little Nemo does :)
    Of course not :)

19. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Agreed. The same applies to other things, too. Like for WWE, the company hires these former NBC hacks that for the most part of the past few years, couldn't write a decent storyline, even if a great idea was shoved into their faces. ^_^

Granted, the company itself's been in a slump since the Attitude died, which makes writing storylines more difficult, but still, since these people were hired, they would do their best to pump out quality stories, but all we get is garbage (ex: The Fingerpoke of Doom, The Black Wedding, the Katie Vick story, the b@s+ard son angle, Vince pretending to die, etc.). XD

20. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well a good idea is one thing, but making that good idea into a good movie is another :)