1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dad hears a "racial slur" on Fraggle Rock

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Oscarfan, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

Well, I seriously don't believe that Rush was trying to be racist. It's just the way the media automatically tries to portray him.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Even if he was, people would shake it off as Rush being Rush. That's the other difference. He never needs to apologize or give in for anything... not even when he was saying nasty things about the Haitian Earthquake. If Hallmark or Hub displayed that kind of "I don't care" attitude, they wouldn't have to recall or censor anything.
  3. Mupp

Mupp Member

I'm late here, but I have to say that I am very disappointed that the Hub is going to edit the sentence.

All because of one goon.

At least the episode is still in its original form on a DVD set.
  4. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

:crazy::confused: - wow, just wow... I learned a new vocabulary word today...
    never heard that before... I would hope The Hub wouldn't have to edit every single episode of Fraggle Rock where Wembley said "Gee, Gobo" really fast- because he kinda uses that phrase a lot. And for a show over 25 years old too...I know the show did not actually have that word in there and I'm sure didn't even consider that someone would misconstrue "Gee, Gobo" for a racial slur... Sounds kinda :fishy: to me-I throw it away and it comes back to me!
    Oh well- as Shakespeare said, much ado about nothing.:sigh:
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

The sad thing is the first time I've ever heard that slur word was from that man bringing it up without justification. The word is outdated and awful and all he's doing is bringing it back into the world's vocabulary (again without justification).
  6. Drtooth

That's just what I said. I never heard it before until this guy pointed it out. I'm pretty sure even hardcore racists don't know about that one.
  7. GonzoLeaper

One thing to keep in perspective is that it was an older black gentleman- for many older black people, they can still remember the discrimination they faced growing up in the '60s or earlier and those stinging words are probably a lot closer on their minds than it is to someone who has not experienced this... nonetheless, I think the guy should still have realized that no racial remarks whatsoever were intended (since he obviously misheard the dialogue) and let the matter drop.
  8. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that I'm not the only one that didn't know what the heck that meant til this happened.

Daniel
  9. heralde

Yeah seriously!
  10. Drtooth

What bugs me is the guy who saw malicious intent in this misheard line whined about it, reported it to his minister, got the attention of Hub and Henson, causing them to censor it, and then complained that their censoring it because he pointed it out meant that they were in the wrong in the first place. I've heard a LOT of things I misheard that sound... well... I can't post any here except one... I have a Wacky World of Tex Avery DVD with a Maurice and Mooch cartoon that has the sound cut out at a strange moment... the line is Mooch calling out "Hey Junior!" and it cuts out so it sounds like "Hey Jew!!!" That makes me snicker inappropriately, not get outraged over nothing.
  11. This is beyond belief. The parents are familiar with the show, obviously, so they know A.) The character's name is Gobo, B.) Wembley's speech pattern - he talks like that all the time, C.) The message of peace and love that Fraggle Rock gives on every single episode. Unless they never spend time with their child and this was the first time they ever heard it. But even then, common sense tells you that the character is not saying "jigaboo". Geesh.
    Bannanasketch and BobThePizzaBoy like this.
  12. heralde

I didn't get the impression the father was familiar with the show; just that he knew his daughter watched it all the time. I mean to be fair he's probably working during the day.

Very true, the context doesn't make any sense and if he listened to it over and over that should have been obvious. But he was probably angry and heard what he wanted to hear.
  13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I think they should rerun those ultra racist Looney Tunes cartoons on tv, just for the lulz. People have gotten so ultra PC in this society we're now just turning into idiots.
    Bannanasketch likes this.
  14. Drtooth

I think the fact that so many people can get away with UN-PC stuff ironically (South Park, Family Guy...etc) shows how goofy PC (or as I refer to it analretentively correct) can be. The Asian community goes apenuts when someone does so much as a respectful accent. And I saw the Liki Liki episode of European cartoon Lucky Luke, and even the Canadian dub of it was highly offensive... and it was made only 10 years ago. Every country besides the US doesn't give a crap about PC. They still draw black people in Japanese cartoons with red baboon lips and no one complains.

Still, I am glad we're out of the era of those bad old Black face cartoons form the 40's. They do have lulz, definitely, but I never feel comfortable watching them. I never got through the entire Coal Black an de Sebben Dwarves.

Still, hearing what you want to hear and calling it offensive. Bugs the crap out of me. Like those mothers who buy Elmo toys with bad fuzzy recordings and try to make them sound violent. "Kell James" and "Who wants to Die-o." Your kid DIDN'T hear it... you did.
  15. GonzoLeaper

That could be because the percentage of black people in Japan is pretty small. I would be surprised if that is shown in anime in the US and no censorship of some sort is done.
  16. Drtooth

You never heard of Mr. Popo of Dragon Ball Z, have you?

This is how he's supposed to look like

[​IMG]

This is what he currently looks like on network broadcast TV...

[​IMG]

While there wasn't too much of a problem when the show first popped up in the 90's, there was a complaint...

There was also a character on Shaman King, Chocolove McDonnell ... his named was changed to Jocco (still sounds kinda racist) in the broadcast anime version, only his name was changed... for the Viz manga editions, Viz re-edited his lips.

Again, these countries have very small populations of various different races... therefore, no groups complain about them and they tend to do whatever they want. Japan, Europe... it doesn't matter. We're the PC ones.
  17. heralde

I know you feel dirty after seeing those, lol. It is incomprehensible to me why anyone ever thought that was funny. And even leaving aside the racist element, they're still not funny!
  18. GonzoLeaper

Yeah- that's what I was saying... I generally don't like political correctness, but it depends on what we're talking about. I don't know that anime creators in Japan were purposefully trying to denigrate blacks with this character's depiction in Dragonball Z.... but I wouldn't know much on that- I don't really watch much anime. I do know that in Herge's Tintin comics, you run into a similar issue, but I have to admit I never really thought about it when reading those comics as a kid. Even today, I can see the stark caricatures but still enjoy the comics in any case. (By the way- go see the Tintin movie on December 21st!:) I'm excited to see that.:excited:)
  19. Drtooth

From what I read, that was more of a case of not realizing how bad it was... the writers and animators thought it was a tribute. The thing that always gets lost is the fact it was a WW2 propaganda cartoon too. That was the message they were trying to spread at the time, but it got lumped in with the rest of the censored eleven

The difference between Dragon Ball and Tin Tin is 50 years. Like most themes in Japanese cartoons, they basically took it from older stuff we did. Now, other than some obscure WW2 propaganda film (the Japanese did them too), they didn't draw them that way to be nasty, but rather as an homage to something we stopped doing in the 40's. of course, it should be known that in Japanese cartoons, baboon lips aren't exactly exclusive only to black charicature, but rather are imployed as a goofy looking character device... best example...

[​IMG]

And that's just one. Of course, conversely, not every black character in anime has baboon lips, just a few for a short period of time. Of course, I think Mr. Popo was supposed to be either Indian or Middle Eastern, not really black... another character called Mr. Black had sort of those kinds of lips, but was redesigned in the 90's to look more Hispanic.

I should also point out, and don't ask my why I know this, it was a short lived early 80's fad to do black faced soul musicians. But nothing any worse than what Lilly Tomlin did... I know she did that too a long long time ago.

As for Europe... well, I know the Asterix people tried to make strides... there's a pirate character in a crow's nest that has baboon lips and a bone through his hair... in 1980's Asterix movies, they changed it to a normal black guy, but kept the lips.
  20. GonzoLeaper

When I first saw Mr. Popo I actually didn't initially think he looked exactly African-American anyway...Middle Eastern/Indian sounds closer.

I can't remember too much of this stuff in Asterix offhand, but I love that comic series too! Uderzo did a great job with delivering a consistently hilarious book.