1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dad hears a "racial slur" on Fraggle Rock

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Oscarfan, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

From what I read, that was more of a case of not realizing how bad it was... the writers and animators thought it was a tribute. The thing that always gets lost is the fact it was a WW2 propaganda cartoon too. That was the message they were trying to spread at the time, but it got lumped in with the rest of the censored eleven

The difference between Dragon Ball and Tin Tin is 50 years. Like most themes in Japanese cartoons, they basically took it from older stuff we did. Now, other than some obscure WW2 propaganda film (the Japanese did them too), they didn't draw them that way to be nasty, but rather as an homage to something we stopped doing in the 40's. of course, it should be known that in Japanese cartoons, baboon lips aren't exactly exclusive only to black charicature, but rather are imployed as a goofy looking character device... best example...

[​IMG]

And that's just one. Of course, conversely, not every black character in anime has baboon lips, just a few for a short period of time. Of course, I think Mr. Popo was supposed to be either Indian or Middle Eastern, not really black... another character called Mr. Black had sort of those kinds of lips, but was redesigned in the 90's to look more Hispanic.

I should also point out, and don't ask my why I know this, it was a short lived early 80's fad to do black faced soul musicians. But nothing any worse than what Lilly Tomlin did... I know she did that too a long long time ago.

As for Europe... well, I know the Asterix people tried to make strides... there's a pirate character in a crow's nest that has baboon lips and a bone through his hair... in 1980's Asterix movies, they changed it to a normal black guy, but kept the lips.
  2. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

When I first saw Mr. Popo I actually didn't initially think he looked exactly African-American anyway...Middle Eastern/Indian sounds closer.

I can't remember too much of this stuff in Asterix offhand, but I love that comic series too! Uderzo did a great job with delivering a consistently hilarious book.
  3. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Im asian and I laugh my butt off at asian stereotypes in cartoons. Tho that could also be because Im about as "white washed" as it gets and have no connection to anything remotely cultural asian wise
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

As an Italian American, I really don't like the Mafia jokes. I mean why would you want your cultural identity to be constantly associated with low life criminals and murderers?

The Godfather I don't mind as much because it actually portrays the mob accurately: a desperate, horrible choice some immigrants made in order to make it in a new, unfriendly country. And in the end, such a life will only bring you pain.

However, I will laugh at the Italian jokes in The Golden Girls because they're not cruel and in many ways they reflect real family dynamics.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The problem with the Mafia is simple... the Italian one's the only one people know about or even associate BECAUSE of The Godfather. Every culture has their own Mafia... Russians, Irish... the Japanese Yakuza. And while I see references here and there to the others (like that episode of Frasier where Frasier and Niles get high quality caviar from a member of the Russian Mob... classic episode), everyone's lazy and just copies Godfather, Goodfellahs, and the Sopranos.

I once had an idea of a Norwegian Mafia that controls herring distribution. I gotta use that somewhere before someone takes it.
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's another thing. It's so cliche and uncreative at this point.
  7. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

I agree with what everybody else says: I think this man is overreacting a bit. I mean, if everybody acted the same way in every situation like this, Fraggle Rock would have aired once a month--it would take that long to write a show because the writers would be watching every combination of words for slurs! Still, however, you have to feel sorry for him. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but maybe he heard a lot of mean words in his life and just wants to protect his daughter from them, or perhaps he is, by nature, sensitive. You never know, anyway.
  8. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

First all those Sesame Street toys talking about death, now this?
  9. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Hey I thought the misundersatnding line from Fraggle Rock is all over!