1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dealing with depression and anxiety

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by charlietheowl, Dec 30, 2011.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Well, I actually tried writing down thoughts that are bugging me onto paper before I call it a night..... And it really helps to an extent. I don't even sugar coat my thoughts. I literally just empty out my bad toilet mouth on those slips of paper.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

How do you even figure it's Obama's fault? Then again, how do you figure he's somehow made everybody in the country sheltered? I don't see your logic.

If anything, I think social media has played a bigger factor in it than anybody or anything else - I think fuzzygobo said it in another thread that social media has pretty much desensitized people to actual personal interactions with real people in real time; nobody knows how to communicate anymore unless it's through some sort of a screen that can protect them and give them anonymity.

DramaQueenMokey likes this.
  3. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent, but at the same time I find it ruefully ironic that we're talking about this particular topic on an online forum. Just saying.

Social media was a big factor in my temporary depression during college. Eventually I got help and made it a point to find friends I could trust online AND offline. I've been trying to have more real-time, face-to-face interactions at a coffee shop or the movies. I met up with a high school friend recently for lunch, and we chatted for nearly four hours about our lives, families, politics, music, and art.

While social media has many benefits, it has plenty of downsides. Look at how many people are talking about "Facebook envy" and "FOMO" these days! That's what social media tends to do. How do we stop it? We can't eliminate it completely, but we can meet up with real people and do fun things together. That's a big start.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Pig's Laundry likes this.
  4. LittleJerry92

You know, I was looking at this comment the day after I posted it and did think I was a bit biased when I said that.

At the time though, I just felt Obama was the reason why so many people nowadays are just so overly sensitive to everything and are just like "I'm offended by this, I'm offended by that! That means I'm right and you're wrong!" Because I've honestly felt like ever since he came in, people just don't know when to shut up about what first world problems bother them.

To an extent though I will say he does have SOME partial issue when it comes to people in general getting so overly dramatic about being for or against gay marriage or being for or against gender neutral bathrooms (the former I'm fine with, the latter I'm not for reasons).

I will at least give him props for finding Bin Laden, health Care and allowing gays to be married. I won't say I'm happy about the gender neutral bathrooms but that's another story.

For awhile I also felt like he was the reason there's so much hate over race and so many riots, but you know, looking at it now, I think it's just people being stupid.

But, yeah, just one of those days where I've just had enough with everything and I don't think about what I say (and like I said above, I'm just right now trying to write down my thoughts on paper just to clear my head).

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  5. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I think part of the blame of technology is from being thrown on people so fast, people don't have time to get acclimated to it. Technology evolving faster than people can absorb it. It wasn't that long ago when Windows 95 was state-of-the-art, or this wonderful new thing called DIAL-UP, which in about a half hour can transport you to the World Wide Web!
    This thirst for the latest app you can put on your phone (and probably never use) comes at a price. It is sad when when you see a family out for dinner, and Mommy, Daddy, Jason and Jennifer are all on their own devices in their own self-absorbed little cocoons. I'm sure the inventors at Verizon and Samsung never intended for this to take place.

And technology can bring out the worst in people. Cyberbullies feel empowered because they have this anonymous cloak, so they could lash out without fear of retaliation or consequences.
    One such troll lurked on here for the longest time. Finally he got banned. Stopped polluting here, but simply found other sites to spread his poison.

It's also a paradox how technology promises unlimited freedom. Yes you can access stuff you've never seen before. But at the cost that if you can't get online, or if you lose or break your device, people go through severe withdrawals.
    Is this freedom, when technology holds you as a slave? When it makes you so dependent on it you can't function without it?
    In some ways it's so addicting, and that is a a dangerous thing.

6. fuzzygobo

Actually, my brother in law shed some light on how texting got to be such a big deal. (My brother in law graduated from Stevens Institute of Technology, so he has seen the full evolution of this stuff).

Texting was introduced and promoted by the phone companies, because it only took up 1/15 of the bandwidth a phone call would take. And the phone companies made a higher profit margin on texts. So text wasn't some random accident. The powers that be knew exactly what they were doing.

7. LittleJerry92

Honestly, people just need to use their common sense when it comes to social media. Like, if I'm driving, I refuse to pick up the phone. Or if I'm in class or work, I usually put my phone on silent. End of the day, I just don't want to make myself a slave to technology.

8. D'Snowth

My phone driving policy has always been this: if you call me while I'm behind the wheel, I will not answer, I will return the call once I'm parked somewhere. In emergency cases (if someone continues to call me repeatedly), then I'll pull over somewhere to answer the call, otherwise, it can wait.

If I'm at a red light and I get a call, I'll answer but ask them to be brief and to the point if they can.

Otherwise, cellphones were banned from schools altogether back in my day. School security would routinely do metal detections and surprise locker inspections just to make sure nobody was sneaking them (or other electronic devices like CD players and such) into school.

9. LittleJerry92

Reminds me of a time when an old friend of mine named Andrew in college (before he sadly ended up bailing after only being in my program for 3 quarters, but he did seem to be getting tired of the school) had a math class with an instructor that would have you give her your phones and not allow hats.
    I get that cell phones are a distraction, and I am guilty of looking at my phone in classes I can not stand, but even then, a simple "put the phone away or leave my class" would be a simple answer. Cause at the end of the day it is college, not high school.

Not to mention, not being allowed to wear hats? Come on now....

10. D'Snowth

Hats were never allowed when I was in school. There were only two exceptions to that rule: medical or religious.

11. LittleJerry92

I mean I can understand if it's grade school, but having it in college is ridiculous.

12. fuzzygobo

How my generation got through college without phones is something.
    Most of us made it through without hats as well.8)

13. LittleJerry92

Idk, a hat is a hat to me, it's something you wear on your head. Phones keep you distracted and cause disruptions.

14. 1000 Eyes

1000 Eyes Well-Known Member

Introducing the new iHat. Now you can finally look up all your s*** and protect your head from deadly sun rays at the same time.

15. LittleJerry92

The sad thing is... I think you just predicted the future.

1000 Eyes likes this.
  16. 1000 Eyes

1000 Eyes Well-Known Member

1000 Clairvoyants strikes again. :concern:

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  17. DramaQueenMokey

DramaQueenMokey Well-Known Member

Family life isn't great just due to some very personal family conflicts I'd rather not discuss but, my mom has been very nice and supportive (again, not gonna question or fight it) and, my health has improved a lot thanks to medicine that actually seems to be helping my epilepsy and, that in general is helping everything look up and feel better. I'm doing worlds better in grad school (not having seizures during lectures helps that a lot) and well, I'm just glad to finally be feeling like myself again.

Again, I realize I'm only human and I'm going to make mistakes like any other human but, I feel so much better all around :)

*sending good vibes to anyone who may need them*

:) :) :) :) :)

MikaelaMuppet and Pig's Laundry like this.
  18. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I respect that you would rather not talk about your personal family conflicts.

DramaQueenMokey likes this.
  19. DramaQueenMokey

DramaQueenMokey Well-Known Member

I blew up at someone I love today because of a misunderstanding; I thought they had called me stupid which hurt because the last person who called me stupid day in and day out was my dad who I no longer speak to.

My relative said that I had a tough time remembering things which I took as an insult to my intelligence what with all I've achieved education-wise and, I lost it, got in their face and screamed. They said they forgive me but, I still feel absolutely horrible and again: to me, this is just proof that I'm a horrible person who doesn't deserve much of anyone or anything.

This brought up some other depressive tendencies and while I was thinking about self-harm, I can't do that to myself; I've been over a year free from self-harm and don't want to go back there.

Though, again: I just feel so horrible and like I'm someone no one asked for and what with all my illnesses and the fact that I still can't drive due to one of those illnesses until my doctor says it's alright, I'm just more and more feeling like a burden.

20. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Who drives you to and from places?