Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the quality or lack of music this time around... Disney and the muppets just won a grammy remember.

This is a quote from a review on film.com of the new Forgetting Sarah Marshall movie which they said is one of the funniest movies this year.

"Jason Segel is a talent to be reckoned with, a new emerging comedy voice who was both equally fantastic as the romantic/comic lead as he was as the film's screenwriter. Likewise, first-time director Nicholas Stoller proved that he made the right transition from his own writing career and displayed his talent for getting into a joke and getting out before it ever got old. The comedy is so fast and furious in this that not a single joke is left to linger, not a single moment feels wasted."

C.R. Cargill
This cant miss, I love it...

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
I think that the choice of Stoller and Segel is an odd one given their resumes, but they are outsiders to the world of The Muppets and the way things have been done with them recently, which means:
a) The movie will hopefully not rely on its soundtrack to be "funky, zany, and a 'wild ride'". See "Muppets From Space". And,
b) The movie will rely less on having a "hot" (in the pop culture sense) human character driving the story, and the story won't suffer as a consequence. The Muppets will get to be the central characters. See "Muppet Wizard of Oz".

Bryan Singer allegedly had written a script for "The Next Muppet Movie", according to a story from some years ago. He would have made a great choice too, it seems the timing just didn't work out. While I wholeheartedly would much rather see a new movie written by Jim Lewis and Kirk Thatcher (with much love to Jerry Juhl), I'll take this over the alternative. No one's going to match Jim's original vision and genius when it comes to his characters, and to expect that is to set yourself up for disappointment. Still, I'm very optimistic that, if and when it gets made, we'll get a movie here that we'll all love.

Redsonga

Reaction score
No one's going to match Jim's original vision and genius when it comes to his characters, and to expect that is to set yourself up for disappointment. Still, I'm very optimistic that, if and when it gets made, we'll get a movie here that we'll all love.
I hope so :smile: I always have higher hopes for 99% of the movies that have plots that I love and get disappointed, so it would be nothing new if I am. But I am still ever hopeful :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
You've got to stay positive Redsona. You gotta BELIEVE! :smile:
Think happy thoughts..think happy thoughts *rises off computer chair and hovers* * falls flat on face*
Darn it :stick_out_tongue:! I need more pixie dust!
I wonder how long it takes for them to write a movie?
I was watching Muppet Caper last night and the credits said that was written by four people :smile: . So I guess good muppet writing really is a group effort...

Redsonga

Reaction score
*Is very happy after reading this*

“I just want to go take it back to the early 80’s, when it was about the Muppets trying to put on a show. That’s what I’m trying to bring back.”
YAY! :big_grin: *does the 80's babies are now having some say in the Muppet World dance*

*looks up Clifford*
Oooh I remember him :confused:! I never really hated him at all that I can remember, I thought he was okay...

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Wasn't that the best news of the day? Originally I was picking up very good energy from this project but, his words were beyond even what I could have imagined. Yes, yes take it back to it's roots! Muppets under water, i'm still laughing :big_grin: this guy is funnneee...

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
Wasn't that the best news of the day? Originally I was picking up very good energy from this project but, his words were beyond even what I could have imagined. Yes, yes take it back to it's roots! Muppets under water, i'm still laughing :big_grin: this guy is funnneee...
I knew he wouldnt come into this half-hearted or with a quick easy idea... that was indeed the best news of the day.

Might be time to make this sticky, I bet this becomes one of the highest posted in threads in MC history...

Status
Not open for further replies.