Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I'm with Beau - completely freaked out that they found someone writing this who is in our corner!

Amazing and on the ceiling too!:embarrassed:

Redsonga

Reaction score
By being current I meant along with a good story that they have current situations, comedy and guest appearances. This will all draw crowds to see the film. I gather from what he is saying is that he is going to go back to the original formulas of what made them work while adding current talent & etc.
That's what I was hoping for, going back to what worked :smile:. I could not care less who the current star is as long as they can act (and if they can't that they actually can make fun of themselves for it :coy: )

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Mind if I take a moment to comment?

Now, I haven't read the whole thread because, frankly, the whining really isn't doing anything for my constitution...but I have done some research on the Writer and Director of this potential next movie...and what I see is far far from High School Muppets, Janice and Stitch or any other sucky "I hate Muppets and can't even respect Disney" title you anti-Disney people can come up with.

Jason Segel has acted in many movies, including Knocked Up, and wrote Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Everything that I have seen of him is anathama to the "Oooh, I am a fluffy Disney thing" feel. His movies are always ground-based, and realistic -- joining the ranks of 40 Year Old Virgin, Juno, and Super Bad.

He seems to act in movies that involve him being a down-to-earth realistic guy (His character of Sam in Alias was one of the first "Real-life-ish" people I'd seen on the show, and his appearence blew me away as one of the most memorable guests even though he was only there for one episode.)

The director wrote Fun With Dick and Jane, as well as an episode of Strangers With Candy, along with writing part of the soundtrack for Blades of Glory. (Segel also performed in soundtracks)

From what I have seen, we will get a movie that has a strong "Buddy-friendship" element...Fozzie and Kermit? Gonzo and Fozzie?...a HUGELY realistic take on the Muppts and Muppetdom. Pop-culture references that FIT (like the "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" poster in Knocked Up, rather than the "Girls Gone Wild" Mwoo reference.) We should expect original songs, even if they are more like Going to Go Back There, or Everyone Matters...rather than Cabin Fever. (There are great, sentemental, realistic songs in Knocked Up and Juno.)

So the last thing we need to worry about is Disney Disneyfying the thing, if anything be more concerned that there will be more nipple references and SEX jokes.
Everything about this post is fantastic and true! And it just reaffirms what great news this is. :big_grin:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
recently-revealed plans to resurrect Rowlf and the gang.
Oh I pray they get some one good to do Rowlf and others!
And it's funny members on here are ragging on those of us who say we're sick of all these lame muppets: do the whatever type of movies in recent years, and this guys saying it to! haha
But I guess that's ok....he pretty much made the same exact joke I did. :stick_out_tongue:

“We want a lot of cameos. You look back at Charles Grodin, Charles Durning, there were just such great performances in those movies.”
Oh lordy I hope they get some good people :smile:
And those people where in the old movies because they where either good or friends of Jim. Shame we don't have many great actors anymore.

“I remember thinking that Kermit was the original Tom Hanks - he was the everyman for a kid,u201D
That one doesn't work for me I don't like Tom Hanks...lol

I don’t think I realized he was a puppet.”
I hope he really works Steve hard then..or erm Kermit.

I'm looking forward to finding out more and more about this in the months and year to come.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And it's funny members on here are ragging on those of us who say we're sick of all these lame muppets: do the whatever type of movies in recent years, and this guys saying it to!
How true that is. :wink:

But it's all in good fun of course, we all have our opinions. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
And it's funny members on here are ragging on those of us who say we're sick of all these lame muppets: do the whatever type of movies in recent years, and this guys saying it to! haha
Hehe. But, no. He was ragging on Mwoo and MFS which are directly related to the Muppets...whereas other people were needlessly ragging on High School Musical, or Emporer's New Groove...which have nothing to do with anything.:insatiable:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
You know what's even more awesome about this? How high-profile this is. I mean, the news that it's going to be written has been out, what five days? And already it's circulating heavily in the media. THIS Muppet project WILL NOT pass by unnoticed by the world.
Thats what I was laying in bed thinking about. This movie is not even done being wrote,and it is already getting a whole lot of buzz. This movie is going to be big on a lot of different factors. One a long time fan who has made his name big doing things not related to the Muppets writeing a script, and really isn't that like all of us fans dream. Second the story is going to be based around Kermit, and that has not been done a whole lot since Jim's death. Lastly I have a feeling that he is going to try to use a lot of the classic Muppets we knew from the Muppet show. Ones we have not seen in a very long time, or have not had speaking lines. Also I would not be suprised if he at least trys to get the Sesame Street Muppets to make a cameo. To me that made the first three movies have an extra bit of WOW to them.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
How true that is.
But it's all in good fun of course, we all have our opinions.
Indeed, I wasn't even trying to be harsh like Beau thinks I am, I'm getting rather annoyed..
Hehe. But, no. He was ragging on Mwoo and MFS which are directly related to the Muppets...whereas other people were needlessly ragging on High School Musical, or Emporer's New Groove...which have nothing to do with anything.:insatiable:
Actully it has allot to do with everything considering the fact that's what Disney is making now, at this very moment.
But it has nothing to do with the directors, which no one was linking those titles to at all people were talking about Disney.
Since no one really knew the directors from a hole in the ground at first, but he seems like a cool guy and I wish him much luck, as well as the Muppets, which I always want to see do well, no matter how much I may or may not dislike who they are living with.:big_grin:
And for the last dang Time Beau I wasn't ragging on them, I was making a joke of all the 2 and 3 part direct to DVD horrid things they had done. :stick_out_tongue:

So wait let me get this straight, it's not ok for me to make a joke about poor disney projects and how I don't want to see Muppet projects like that.
But it's ok for this guy to come along and make fun of Muppet projects.
Yes thats a great look at things, while I agree with him both of those movies are not the best, but I hardly see how thats ok, when he flat out stated what he didn't like.
And I made a joke of it, some days I don't get people on message boards, it's like people want to pick a fight and point fingers more often then try to understand what the person was getting at.
I seriously don't want any trouble but I'm not going to sit by and be accused of doing things that I'm not doing. & now I'm going to bed it's way to early in the morning to be dealing with these sort of things.

Thats what I was laying in bed thinking about. This movie is not even done being wrote,and it is already getting a whole lot of buzz. This movie is going to be big on a lot of different factors. One a long time fan who has made his name big doing things not related to the Muppets writeing a script, and really isn't that like all of us fans dream. Second the story is going to be based around Kermit, and that has not been done a whole lot since Jim's death. Lastly I have a feeling that he is going to try to use a lot of the classic Muppets we knew from the Muppet show. Ones we have not seen in a very long time, or have not had speaking lines. Also I would not be suprised if he at least trys to get the Sesame Street Muppets to make a cameo. To me that made the first three movies have an extra bit of WOW to them.
I was thinking about the same thing, I really think this is gonna be huge. The guys directing this is lucky, and in the same hand so are we, he really seems to care, and I like his answer to the Clifford question lol.
And having fraggles, and sesame and whatever else is just the cherry on top of the muppet cake for me!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Indeed, I wasn't even trying to be harsh like Beau thinks I am, I'm getting rather annoyed..

Actully it has allot to do with everything considering the fact that's what Disney is making now, at this very moment.
But it has nothing to do with the directors, which no one was linking those titles to at all people were talking about Disney.
Since no one really knew the directors from a hole in the ground at first, but he seems like a cool guy and I wish him much luck, as well as the Muppets, which I always want to see do well, no matter how much I may or may not dislike who they are living with.:big_grin:
And for the last dang Time Beau I wasn't ragging on them, I was making a joke of all the 2 and 3 part direct to DVD horrid things they had done. :stick_out_tongue:

So wait let me get this straight, it's not ok for me to make a joke about poor disney projects and how I don't want to see Muppet projects like that.
But it's ok for this guy to come along and make fun of Muppet projects.
Yes thats a great look at things, while I agree with him both of those movies are not the best, but I hardly see how thats ok, when he flat out stated what he didn't like.
And I made a joke of it, some days I don't get people on message boards, it's like people want to pick a fight and point fingers more often then try to understand what the person was getting at.
I seriously don't want any trouble but I'm not going to sit by and be accused of doing things that I'm not doing. & now I'm going to bed it's way to early in the morning to be dealing with these sort of things.

I was thinking about the same thing, I really think this is gonna be huge. The guys directing this is lucky, and in the same hand so are we, he really seems to care, and I like his answer to the Clifford question lol.
And having fraggles, and sesame and whatever else is just the cherry on top of the muppet cake for me!
Hey jimhensonhour,

I don't recall the joke you had said or i would have said something about it. I think if it was just a joke though it should be let go and forgoten about. I mean sure Disney is doing good right now but that don't mean everything they put out is gold. and i think that is what you have been saying this whole time, and i agree with you.
There are the ones on here that have said Disney is "kill", "mess up" or "ruin" the Muppets and they think that the Muppets are also not going to ever do anything good again, Thouse are the people i get mad at, and in another thread i did loses my cool and say somethings i didn't mean. I think that when they are at least trying with good season sets of TMS and the new Muppets.com why tell them and fans who don't know about them that Disney is going to kill the Muppets. THEY CARE THEY REALLY CARE thats all i am saying.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're fans? And they hated the concept movies? That couldn't be a better sign. And with the talk of older characters like Rowlf and the Mayhem... that gives me high hopes when this script is produced. They're clearly just throwing around ideas, and seeing what sticks to the wall, like cooked Pasta. I'm sure we'll see something for new and old fans alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.