Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got back from seeing the new movie Drillbit with Owen Wilson. I went in not really expceting much from the movie, but by the end of the movie i was so pumped up with exitment I was shouting all the way to the car. The first thing that got my eye was Appleglow had his name on it, and that got me hoping Segale would be involved in this some way, he was not. Then I saw something that really made me jump up and down.One of the Screen Play writers was none other than Seth Rogen.I knew then that I was going to be in for a real treat because I would get to see some more work done by one of the two new guys doing the next Muppet Movie.
The movie was so good me and my girlfriend where so happy about the movie its all we could really talk about. I'm not going to say much about the movie, but I will say this. It was yet another down to earth beliveable story. The charicturs in the story are so wonderful you will fall into there world right from the start.
All that said the movie has made any nevrs I had the new Muppet Movie gone. The two guys that are going to be working on this know two things that i think will bring the Muppets back to the way they where.
1. They know common funny. That means they make down to earth real comody.
2. they really know how to bring a person out and make them like you have known them your whole life.
I realy think this new Muppet Movie is not only going to be good but i really think Now it going to be GREAT!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I hear alot of complaints anout the jaded humor in VMMC (such as Scooter in the Go-Go cage) but I think people need to realize that you need to attempt to bring the Muppets into the present in all aspects and one of those aspects is the humor. Thats what makes Pepe such a great addition to the cast, his humor is definately geared toward a more adult crowd. Okay. The Muppets need to matre with the times just like everything else. Honestly it was not all that jaded.
It's just that not everyone agrees that that is adult humor. Some think that it's immature humor, like teenagers just trying to seem grown up. The adult humor in past projects, some say, was more sophisticated. And to me, some of the recent humor hasn't been just jaded, but oddly cruel. And that's not modern to me. It's just cruel. And even if it is modern, I wouldn't want to see it or encourage others. It's one thing to update for the times. But if you're going to change what you are so completely, it's not worth it. And it's not what the Muppets were about.

Kermit learns in Muppets Take Manhattan NOT to change his image in order to get his show sold because he didn't want to be a "phoney." I want the Muppets back too, but not at the expense of the original message.

I would want my kids to see the Muppets and learn that it's OK to be different. Not that it's OK to change yourself to fit the crowd. There's too much of that in the world right now. And it doesn't even really pay off as a lesson in the end.

And again, I'm not seeing the real life audience turning their backs on older entertainment, that's not happening.

But that's a whole different issue, and we all have our own opinions. We'll still have to see how this one turns out. :smile:

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got back from seeing the new movie Drillbit with Owen Wilson. I went in not really expceting much from the movie, but by the end of the movie i was so pumped up with exitment I was shouting all the way to the car. The first thing that got my eye was Appleglow had his name on it, and that got me hoping Segale would be involved in this some way, he was not. Then I saw something that really made me jump up and down.One of the Screen Play writers was none other than Seth Rogen.I knew then that I was going to be in for a real treat because I would get to see some more work done by one of the two new guys doing the next Muppet Movie.
The movie was so good me and my girlfriend where so happy about the movie its all we could really talk about. I'm not going to say much about the movie, but I will say this. It was yet another down to earth beliveable story. The charicturs in the story are so wonderful you will fall into there world right from the start.
All that said the movie has made any nevrs I had the new Muppet Movie gone. The two guys that are going to be working on this know two things that i think will bring the Muppets back to the way they where.
2. they really know how to bring a person out and make them like you have known them your whole life.
I realy think this new Muppet Movie is not only going to be good but i really think Now it going to be GREAT!
First of all, Appleglow? I'm going to start calling him that.

Second of all, I'm glad you enjoyed it, but nobody on "Drillbit Taylor", including Seth Rogen, is working on the new Muppet movie (that is, as far as we know). The one you wanna check out next month is "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", written by Jason Segel and Nick Stoller and directed by Stoller. They're the guys responsible for the new Muppet movie, and though they're part of that circle, they didn't have anything to do with "Drillbit Taylor".

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
A movie with that hideous annoying twit owen willson was good?:eek: **** must have frozen over! my goodness! lol
I sure hope they don't put him in the new Muppet movies I wouldn't be able to handle it.:stick_out_tongue:

unclematt

Reaction score
It's just that not everyone agrees that that is adult humor. Some think that it's immature humor, like teenagers just trying to seem grown up. The adult humor in past projects, some say, was more sophisticated. And to me, some of the recent humor hasn't been just jaded, but oddly cruel. And that's not modern to me. It's just cruel. And even if it is modern, I wouldn't want to see it or encourage others. It's one thing to update for the times. But if you're going to change what you are so completely, it's not worth it. And it's not what the Muppets were about.

Kermit learns in Muppets Take Manhattan NOT to change his image in order to get his show sold because he didn't want to be a "phoney." I want the Muppets back too, but not at the expense of the original message.

I would want my kids to see the Muppets and learn that it's OK to be different. Not that it's OK to change yourself to fit the crowd. There's too much of that in the world right now. And it doesn't even really pay off as a lesson in the end.

And again, I'm not seeing the real life audience turning their backs on older entertainment, that's not happening.

But that's a whole different issue, and we all have our own opinions. We'll still have to see how this one turns out. :smile:
I would really like to know what you are so offended by? In my statement I was able to back up what I was sayong with examoles and characters. Could you please help me understand where you are coming from?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think I see both sides...

Yes, Muppets From Space was kinda selling out. Everyone was releaseing Space movies that year from SpaceJam to Star Wars (I think?) and Muppets sort of joined the wave...But they did have a story to tell.

Yes, Muppets Take Manhatten was about not changing...but in Muppets Take Manhatten, Kermit dressed up in a wig and a pearl-necklace and tried to hawk his show and to "fit in". He did this, why? To get a laugh from the cinema audience.

In Muppets From Space he tries to be hip, why? Not because he is changing his image, but because it would get a laugh.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, MTM I felt was for a laugh, yes. But then there was the message that he shouldn't have tried to change. But with MFS and other recent projects, for me it felt more like the overall attitude of the film is different. More jaded, cynical attitude like they were too hip and self involved for a moral. Like in MWoO, Floyd says something like, "We've driven the same junky van since the '70s." Floyd would never call their van junky (or whatever the similar word was). It just sounded like they were obsessed with being popular and current. Yes, Floyd always wanted to be hip. But it was on his terms, not the popular crowd's. (Yes, I sound like a geek, lol, but I'm just doing character analysis, which many people get paid for hehe).

What I don't like is this recent sense that in order for the new projects to be accepted, the older Jim era projects need to be put down. I liked the Muppets because of those older projects. I'm not going to suddenly switch everything I like about the Muppets just because they changed. Even this Segal is saying they should go back to the MTM format.

I think the Muppets have already tried being more popular and current with the more recent projects, and overall audiences (kids and adults) have not responded positively. That's why the Muppets aren't big anymore. Not because they're "too old" or "in the past."

To me (and clearly to Segal), the past is the solution, not the problem. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with much of heralde's assessment except for the Oz Floyd line in the extended DVD version (that scene didn't appear on the ABC broadcasts). I kind of like that moment. I think he just referenced driving the same van since 78 rather than outright calling it old or junky. It is a bit self-aware. The Muppets have always had those moments, but they tend to come-off differently now. Some of these more recent one-liners can come off as cynical or even presumptuous to many audience members old and young.

The Muppets never really try to be hip and in any effort that they do it always ends in outrageous silliness. In more modern efforts certain hip attempts fizzle badly because it appears that the characters are taking themselves too seriously rather than tongue-in-cheek. It ends up seeming a little sad. Hey, it can't all be comedic gold, but until muppets.com it appeared that certain Muppet "it" factor was gone.

It’s back and in a good way. I don’t think things will rock back to where they used to be. The fact that Disney seems to understand Muppet humor more these days and that a fan is writing and directing the film causes me to be quite optimistic. Even if this isn't the best Muppet film (behind the original, of course) it would take an act of Crazy Harry for it to end up on the bottom rung with MFS. :crazy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Muppets have always had those moments, but they tend to come-off differently now. Some of these more recent one-liners can come off as cynical or even presumptuous to many audience members old and young...In more modern efforts certain hip attempts fizzle badly because it appears that the characters are taking themselves too seriously rather than tongue-in-cheek.
I think you're absolutely right and hit it on the nail! Fans of Weird Al Yankovic might know about his hero, radio host Dr. Demento. I remember in the Behind the Music show, Dr. Demento said Al has a skill for "puncturing the pomposity of pop music" which he says "does take itself too seriously sometimes."

I think the Muppets were also skilled at "puncturing the pomposity" of pop culture while still remaining hip themselves. But in more recent projects, there's less puncturing and more joining.

But anyway, being negative sometimes takes too much out of you, lol. I wish Segal and Stroller good luck!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I think you're absolutely right and hit it on the nail. Fans of Weird Al Yankovic might know about his hero, radio host Dr. Demento. I remember in the Behind the Music show, Dr. Demento said Al has a skill for "puncturing the pomposity of pop music" which he says "does take itself too seriously sometimes."

I think the Muppets were also skilled at "puncturing the pomposity" of pop culture while still remaining hip themselves. But in more recent projects, there's less puncturing and more joining.

But anyway, being negative sometimes takes too much out of you, lol. I wish Segal and Stroller good luck!
That's a really interesting way of putting it. :search:

Status
Not open for further replies.