Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I want to bring up something that I don't think has been really talked about a whole lot. With all three of the older movies there where some very wonderful songs. Do you all think that one thing that the Muppets need is another "Rainbow Connection" type song to really make a big comeback? With that thought in mind we know that all three movies had a good mix of songs,and all the songs where sung by the Muppets not the human gust stars. So what do you all think should the Muppets new movie be a muisical or no singing but a great soundtrack from other singers?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
A musical, definitely, that's not even a question, I don't think. The music is what makes those older movies SO good and continues to make MCC and MTI just as good. The music is one of the KEY parts of making a Muppet film, and we all saw how non-Muppet songs went over in MFS.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I agree; it just seems unnatural when the muppets DON'T sing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I am nervous about bringing an isider in as well, we have to realize that the Jerry Juhl (we miss you) era is over.
And has been since 1999, when he (rightfully so) stormed out of Muppets from Space. heck, he wasn't even working in Muppets Tonight. I'm well aware we won't see the same sort of writing that Jerry created anymore than we'll See Bugs and Daffy in all their Bob Clampett, Chuck Jones, or Friz Freling glory. If franchises don't keep moving, they'll be nothing more than nostalgic relics that warrent conversation like, "Remeber when __________" or, "When I was younger we had__________" or something like that.

The problem lies in the ideas and execution. Why didn't Muppet Oz work? Because it wasn't too good a concept, and a very poor execution. Like it or not, mainstream people love stupid pop culture references. And I'm not talking Animaniacs, Histeria, or Sesame Street type well crafted cultural satires, either. I mean "Meet the Spartins" style, "let's see how many movie lines we can pilfer, and obvious at the moment jokes about celebrities we can shoehorn in, and names we can drop for no apparent reason" crap. That's another thing that hurt Oz. Just hearing that they want to get away from that really makes me happy.

If we can get the next great muppet project or the next great muppet writers, we'll see something great. As it stands, the next theatrical Muppet event is Sesame Street Dinosaurs playing at Kidtoon Cinemas. And even then, that's a triumph in and of itself. If this project and the Fraggle Film get off the ground, we'll see the Muppets come back like we haven't seen. And not just "Tickle Me Elmo" stuff either.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Jerry Juhl stormed out of Muppets from Space? Am I the only one who didn't know this? What happened?

Beauregard

Reaction score
He didn't exactly storm out...But I am led to beleive that he left on uneasy terms because his idea of a Muppets IN Space movie was adjusted into Muppets From Space and he was given no creative say.

unclematt

Reaction score
"I feel that the prawn and the rat have replaced the dog and the gofer these days and I miss those guys!"

Maybe one of the best stated and well put statements in recent MC forum history. Love that you said it and I couldnt agree more.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
As much as I love him, and maybe it's just me, but I was happy when they made a collective decision to not have Rowlf speak anymore after Jim's death. I thought it was a perfect tribute. And I was sorely disappointed by what I heard in the Christmas Party Sing Along song. I would've rather they left him as a silent tribute to Jim.

And I think it's also hard with Scooter because it's been a long time since Richard passed away and we really haven't had someone take over that character. Not officially, anyway. And it seems to me that people who were around the original performer do better at stepping into a roll, and really no one who was around back then and got to see Richard perform is available to play Scooter. So, idk. I hope they do something with him, but I'm definitely prepared for any Scooter-bit to seem a little off.

THAT SAID, it's well known that I think the prawn is HIGHLY overused and that focus on him should be cut back.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/03/31/jason-segel-reveals-plot-of-the-new-muppet-movie/

Apparently the original Muppet crew must gather together to put a show on to save an old theater. Possibly the original theater from The Muppet Show or maybe the Broadway Theater from The Muppets Take Manhattan? (probably less likely). Apparently an evil character wants to tear the place down to get to the oil underneath. Apparently said evil character has not seen There Will Be Blood, and doesn’t understand the concept of “DRAINAGE!” Sounds like an interesting idea to me. At least it’s not going to be another lame classic story brought to life with Muppets.
So ermmm let me get this straight...he's making a very merry muppet christmas movie then? I mean really that sounds almost exactly what was going on in that movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
"I feel that the prawn and the rat have replaced the dog and the gofer these days and I miss those guys!"

Maybe one of the best stated and well put statements in recent MC forum history. Love that you said it and I couldnt agree more.

That's the problem. I'd love to see Forgetful Jones and Guy Smiley on Sesame Street instead of Elmo and Abby as well... but we haven't really found performers to really continue them on a regular basis. Even in the Christmas CD, I didn't really feel some of these characters (Especially Dr. Teeth). It's very hard to just bring up old characters with new puppeteers. After all, Scooter already went through 2 more people in as many movies.

And you'd think with all the Pepe focus, there'd at least be some more merchandise. Other than the action figure, the carny prizes, a Jack in the Box toy, and a push puppet that looked exactly like the action figure, there really isn't anything. Even in the new assortment of carnival plush.

So ermmm let me get this straight...he's making a very merry muppet christmas movie then? I mean really that sounds almost exactly what was going on in that movie.
It does seem odd they'd chose a plotline that mimicks another. And a recent one at that. I like the idea, and I think they'll utilize it better than that film, but I was hoping for something more allong the lines of the first three movies. You know, they're not in the theater, but they're not recreating books or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.