Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyGuy

Reaction score
I am enjoying reading this thread which discusses Mr. Segel's intention for the Muppet gang . I think he will be the next Jim Henson. There is an old song by country music artist George Jones called "whose Gonna Fill Their Shoes " in which Jones observes the so many legends who founded the country music genre are now deceased and the same query applies to the previous generation of muppeteers . So I think Mr Segel is a pretty wise choice to (finally ) fill Mr. Henson's shoes . I didn't say perfect because nobody is perfect.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
That is such wonderful sentiment Ry Guy - and glad you are here. Fairfax VA aye - I'm originally from Roanoke - now a Hollywood guy. Great to see VA in the house!:flirt:

beaker

Reaction score
You're right. People play the most violent and bloody video games where points are awarded for brutality and humiliation (like Grand Theft Auto) but a little bit of sex is still taboo in this country. I remember when the television program Three's Company was considered risqué so things have loosened up a bit. I remember Senator Lieberman stating in 2000 that he felt the program Friends should be shown after 10 pm due to its explicit content.

I look at sex, violence and other taboos in media as I do the work of Richard Pryor. If it works, it's not hurting people and there's good momentum behind it - go for the gold! I doubt the Segel-driven Muppet script will be snarky. He seems to know the Muppets as well as contextual humor. I still think of him as Marshall from How I Met Your Mother. A sweet character that actually believes in the Loch Ness monster and calls her “Nessy”. I have no doubts that this is - the guy!

I also didn’t notice the Sarah Marshall Muppet Central link. Wonder if he’s reading the forums or if he’s seen his picture on the home page? :zany:
I agree! I've no problem with sex in the movies. Also some cleverly written "snarkyness" is good...the Muppets have definately swam in their own snarky sense of humor. I can't see these two turning around and writing a pure, "old school" G rated Muppet movie.
I'd like to see a PG Muppet movie, whose humor and subtext works on various levels of smarts:smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I Can't belive that there is no more new news on this yet. I went over to Jim Hill Media and they still don't have anything on this. I kind of thought he would have at least had something by know.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I'm not surprised there is no more news as of late. They are 50 pages into the script (says Segal) and they are shooting "I Love You, Man" right around the corner from me now... I should dress up like my favorite muppet and run through the set - har har.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
It depends on the film. I believe they just started shooting so I would guess a couple of months for Segal on this one as he is "Acting" only - not writing or directing.

If they already have 50 pages of the muppet script it means they are into the project. I think he will be finding time to hammer the rest out in his spare time.

I keep hearing Segal & Stoller are taking on different projects as they are hot right now. I suppose we should all have patience... I mean we've waited this long. :big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well thinks uppity!. I have a question for you. You seem to know things because your in Hollywood, but my thing is are you some what of an insider?

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I work as an architect/designer and know & mingle with a lot folks in the entertainment industry. I also love the movies and try and keep up on the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.