Do you like Disney owning the Muppets?

P

Philo and Gunge

Oh, come now people!

All power to the grand Dutchy of Eisner!

Zeig Eisner! Zeig Eisner! Zeig Eisner!

(No, I don't really slaute Eisner. This whole thing in general just has pros and cons)

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
No, it's not. Disney did not buy the "Jim Henson" brand name as part of the deal, they bought the "Muppets" and "Bear in the Big Blue House" and everything associated with them....

...Once again, they are not from the "Walt Disney" unit(s). When you see the "Disney's" brand on certain programs and products, they are not referring to Disney Corporate.
I looked into this, and Disney bought "Bear in the Big Blue House" and "Jim Henson's Muppets". The did not buy the name "Jim Henson", but they did buy "Jim Henson's Muppets" (meaning they can't put Jim Henson on anything they want, only things with the Muppets). Technically (and llegaly speaking) their is not "Muppets" only "Jim Henson's Muppets". "Jim Henson's " is part of the muppet's brand name (which was bought by disney, and they will still use). They may however add a Disney to the brand, but they can't remove parts of the brand so "Jim Henson's" will be part it still. But only when talking about the muppets. They can't say Jim Henson Presents, or Jim Henson Productions, or stick Jim Henson's on the title of another puppet show they create. They can only use it with The Muppets

Also most Muppet Products will not be under the Walt Disney unit, this is why they created The Muppet Holding Company, to keep them seperate. Disney and the Muppet will do things togeather, but Disney will not be slathered all over them. They remain a seperate branch, but now owned by the Disney coperation (like ABC, ESPN, ect). So Disney will control, maintain, and work with the Muppets but the Muppets are not a Walt Disney brand...yet, this could change, but to start out Disney has decided to keep the two slightly seperate. However being owned by Disney they will still be tied to them (so don't expect to see them on FOX, or doing commercials for SixFlags) and will work with through them (so expect them on ABC, at Disney world, or in the Disney Stores). They are Disney's, and since Disney is such a large entertainment corperation they will work internally to get things done effeciently and profitable for them. Their will most likly be a Disney somewhere on the Muppet items and products but no more than when they made Christmas Carol and Treasure Island with them. Just expect it on everything now, not just those two productions and it's merch.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Look on the bright side. At least Classic Media didn't get them. There may be concerns about the direction the Muppets are going, but at least they are going, rather than going away.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
You said it. With the Classic Media/Sesame Workshop bid (reported only a day before the Hensons bought back JHC), yeah there would have been the symbolism of ALL the Muppets sitting under one roof, but so what? Classic Media owns stuff for the sake of owning them, with little exploitation. Yeah Disney may have its drawbacks, but if you want to see the Muppets back in the forefront, it is going to take more than a small rights-holding company to do that.

McFraggle

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
You said it. With the Classic Media/Sesame Workshop bid (reported only a day before the Hensons bought back JHC), yeah there would have been the symbolism of ALL the Muppets sitting under one roof, but so what? Classic Media owns stuff for the sake of owning them, with little exploitation. Yeah Disney may have its drawbacks, but if you want to see the Muppets back in the forefront, it is going to take more than a small rights-holding company to do that.
I complete agree. As you said Classic Media justs own stuff for the sake of owning it. If they had owned the company, it wouldn't have helped the Muppets anymore than where they were at the time. It is very hard for a small rights company to be able to get mainstream corporate exposure.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
I love the name Disneys muppets
They're not Disney's muppets though! If Jim wanted the muppets to get bought by Disney, he would have invited Walt over for tea and crumpets and given him the frog faster than you can say "Mickey!" He didnt though, did he? However, they're keeping the same Puppeteers aren't they? And writers? If they are, then they will only be Disney's in name. If they're getting in new writers, puppeteers and even new MUPPETS then I think that this will be the world's biggest mistake ever! I think the only way we can ever criticise is on Muppets Wonderful Wizard of Oz. If it stinks like "Hunchback of Notre Dame 2" then we shall stage a protest outside of Mickey's lil cottage. If not, I shall visit and congratulate him on putting muppets back on top.

Either way "Disneys Muppets" arent going anywhere and there's not enough money in the world to make Disney give them back. I say, give them Sesame Steet for free, as it pains me to see them seperated!!

o o
O + :smile: = ???

beaker

Reaction score
I've begun to see how "Muppets"(not "Disney's Muppets") under the guise of the Muppets Holding Company(well, ok..Disney, but not by name) just may be exactly what we need to get our furry pals into the spotlight again in 2005.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
beaker said:
I've begun to see how "Muppets"(not "Disney's Muppets") under the guise of the Muppets Holding Company(well, ok..Disney, but not by name) just may be exactly what we need to get our furry pals into the spotlight again in 2005.

Beaker thats funny how you sayed "Disney Muppets". Becouse when i explan the Muppet thing to my friends...like the other day in Hot Topic, they had a Fraggle Postcard and my friend goes "Stevie theres some Muppet Postcards" and i go "Yeah thos are the Fraggle Muppets Not the "Disney Muppets, remeber i ONLY collect Disney Muppets... Disney owns JUST Kermit, Piggy and the the muppet show and Bear gang, NOT fraggle or Sesame Street" then when when we where eating in the mall i told them the story why there all split up... :smirk:

McFraggle

Reaction score
TuttertheMouse said:
They're not Disney's muppets though! If Jim wanted the muppets to get bought by Disney, he would have invited Walt over for tea and crumpets and given him the frog faster than you can say "Mickey!" He didnt though, did he?
What an interesting visual picture. :smile: Especially when you consider Walt was dead by the time that "Sesame" had even begun. :wink:

Bubbadog

Reaction score
In my first post, I will voice my conecrn...

I really must admit that I felt a little betrayed by the sale of the Muppets to The Walt Disney Comany. :boo:
However, I am trying to keep an open mind about the whole thing, just to see if they Disney-fy the Muppets. One of the things about the Muppets that I like is that fact that they do not over sweeten any situation, as Disney is notorious for. And in any title regarding the Muppets, in the future bearing "Disney's Muppets" will probably send me off in a rant, although it will be at home and not online. I could possibly never forgive them. Possibly.
The only thing that really keeps me from not accepting it totally is the fact that Jim Henson himself was in talks to sell it to them before he died.
But for the Henson family to sell the Muppets to Disney after buying it back from EMTV, I was shocked, outraged, and utterly disappointed.
In time I may very well be whistling a different tune. Just because I don't like the fact that Disney owns it, doesn't mean I won't watch as I hope the Muppets continue as something I may show my future children someday. :smile:
But like I said, I will wait until I see what they have in store for my all time favorite childhood memory and long time obsession. The first test being The Wizard of Oz. I am very excited to hear about having the Muppets come back in film, even if it is on Television. I ended up buying VMMCM on DVD as soon as it came available and I have to admit it has replaced "The Muppet Christmas Carol" as my favorite Christmas film, But can not replace A Muppet Family Christmas as the best Christmas special ever. :cool:
As this is my first post, having been a long time viewer of the site, but never registered to post until today, I am taking advantage of as much as I can. Including the smilies, I love em!
But being my first post, this would have to be what I would want as a first post. And I hope they never recast any of the original muppet characters voices until the performers just can't do it anymore. Frank Oz still has a ways to go I think. I can't imagine Fozzie or Animal without him.