DOES Kermit Love Piggy? A Challenge to prove..

Beth C

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What started out as a simple arguement has now been turned into a challenge. It began with my kids babbling on about the Muppets in front of my Ex-Husband. I entered the room to find my kids arguing about who belongs with who on the Muppet Show.

Of course I said that Kermit belonged with Piggy, just like Gonzo and Camilla.

The all mighty EX said no, that Kermit despised Piggy, and couldn't wait to get away from her.

He then Challenged me to find 10 times in either the Muppet Show or any of the Muppet Movies or specials that PROVES that Kermit loves Piggy. He gave me one week to do this, stating that even if he gave me a month that I wouldn't be able to come up with 10. The loser buys a steak dinner for the winner of the challenge.

I can come up with these on my own:

In TMTM - The whole rollerskate thru the park and fight that comes afterwards where Piggy nearly cries and Kermit clearly feels bad that he upset her.

In Rocky Moutain Holiday - Kermit is clearly jealous of Piggy's horseback ride with John Denver and the note she wrote him telling him (don't mention this letter to Kermit)

In Muppet Family Christmas - Kermit is clearly worried about Piggy in the snowstorm, he keeps looking out the window hoping she will make it through fine.

Of course in TMTM - the wedding, but the EX says that was just for the Broadway show they were trying to sell, and it wasn't real and they aren't really married. I say they are - he still insists they are not. (Can anyone settle this too??)

In The Muppet Movie - When he first meets Rowlf playing the piano, Kermit is clearly upset that Piggy left him alone at the table after the call from her 'agent' They then sing about broken hearts.

In The Great Muppet Caper - He is obviously very much taken with 'Lady Holiday' and even kisses Piggy after she is thrown in jail.

That was all I was able to come up with on my own as I don't have the DVD's yet and I've only seen a few eps of TMS - so can ANYONE help me win this steak dinner? Does Kermit love Piggy and can you give me proof that he does?

I don't want to be the one buying the steak dinner here - sooooooo HELLLLP!!!!!

~Beth C :smile:

Whatever

Reaction score
About the wedding, Piggy snuck an actual minister in instead of Gonzo, so they really were married in that movie. However, the movies tend to contradict each other.
In Muppet Treasure Island, Kermit is upset about Piggy's being marooned on rhe island and says "Oh Benjimina, this is alll my fault" when they are interrupted by Long John.
Then when they are hanging by their feet, he says "Don't cry for me, Bengimina" and they sing "Love led us here."
Kermit gives Piggy a mink at the end of Muppet Family Christmas.

BornBlue

Reaction score
They are friends

Well, you are right.

Kermit DOES love Miss Piggy. As a friend. She has always wanted it to be something much more than it was. :mad:

The reasons the movies contradict eachother is that Jim Henson has always claimed that the movies were just that... movies. The Muppets were simply the actors. While Kermit and Piggy often play eachother's love interests in the films, in "real life" Kermit has always maintained that they are just great friends while Piggy has hoped for more. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah Kermit is acting. Have you not seen the Kermit The Frog E-True Hollywood Story? He's a love machine in real life - Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, Martha Stewart ...... Miss Piggy was just one of many. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Whatever said:
About the wedding, Piggy snuck an actual minister in instead of Gonzo, so they really were married in that movie. However, the movies tend to contradict each other.
He wasn't a real minister, just an actor hired to play a "real minister." Per the JHC, they side with Kermit: The two are not married.

This won't help your cause, Beth, but I think Kermit loves Miss Piggy enough that he would date her if she wasn't so bossy. He had also better be careful with that Jessica Simpson, too; Nick Lachey will be after his little green hiney!

I can say that Kermit got jealous during SEVERAL episodes of The Muppet Show, though! I THINK one was the ballet dancer, and someone else. Sorry, I don't remember details. My brain is tired!! LOL!!

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Another indication I can think of,is when Christopher Reeve guest starred on The Muppet Show.Kermit was bumed out when Piggy suddenly paid special attention to Christopher Reeve. :smile: :mad:

Luke

Reaction score
Well really it all depends whether you count "The Muppet Show" as "real life" for the Muppets or whether they were all acting to a script in that as well, even the backstage segments. If you look at the way the ALF thing has been done nowadays they have the ALF character saying that his life in the sitcom was just one big acting job.

BornBlue

Reaction score
I guess I've always kind of considered "The Muppet Show" to be like "real life". All the backstage segments are how they interacted with eachother.

And once their variety show took off, that's when they went off and made movies.

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over, but the Muppets have all sorts of contradictions... if "The Muppet Movie" was supposed to be a film about how they met, how do you explain the Muppet Baby film in a Muppet Family Christmas?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Ugh...don't get me started on Muppet Babies...

The Muppet Show is canon, I think.
The Muppet Movie (according to Kermit) "is sort of approximately how it happened."

Obviously, GMC and TMTM were acting jobs, not canon; MCC and MTI were just the Muppets in movies; MFS is controversially canon (I agree with it after Gonzo's fascination and focus on "out there" all his career); and VMX is along the lines of TMM to me, because I think it's how it looks at the theater and stuff...but I think all the other stuff with Whoopie as God and Arquette as an angel...well, you know...