Download the Muppets' Oz Teaser Promo

What are your expectations of the new Oz film?

• One of the best Muppet films ever

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Not like the 1980's, but pretty good

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • It will be a disappointment

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I'm happy with anything Muppet at this point

Votes: 34 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Craig Crane said:
Its my Birthday today. Im 35. I'm feeling somewhat reflective....

Keeping the spirit of the Muppets was an impossible task.... the charm went "by the by" a long time ago, and I dont think it can be attributed to anyones passing on...... I think the rot set in as far back as the Muppets go to Di$neyland Special. I think its just down to not knowing what to do with a good thing. With the Mastercard ads and the superbowl pizza hut spots, I see my childhood hero's now being corperate whores, on spots dreamed up by wannabe muppet fans who think that such a campaign will tap into my nostalgic side and make me want to part with my hard earned cash. Im sorry fella's, but allyour doing is taking what was once the flagship brand from one of the most daring artists and watering it down to not even a shadow of its former self....
I cropped your quote down a little so I hope you do not mind. Talk about watching a dream die. After Jim passed I was expecting the Muppets to fade away, when they did not I think I felt what Muppet fans across the country felt a sense of joy, and expectation. My whole life I wanted to perform with the Muppets and in truth I can do a better Kermit voice than Steve can and a much better Sam the Eagle than the new guy, I am working on Dr. Teeth and Floyd. When Muppets Tonight aired I watched 2 episodes and stopped watching, not only was it stupid, and at times disgusting, or overly sexual the magic was gone. I wrote Henson CO. a 2 page letter expressing not only my own discontent but also my younger siblings who could not understand what had happened to there friends the Muppets. Henson co wrote a snide little letter back to me thanking me for my input, but Muppets Tonight was a show for the 90's geared towards a 90's audience and they would take my suggestions under advisement.

Well the 90's were all about moving away from family and family values, television became more adult and edgy, and we suddenly were lowering the bar about what was and was not acceptable to say, and show on TV. The Muppets were no acceptation, while Muppets Christmas Carol was by all accounts and excellent film, which breathed life back into the Henson body, there characters them selves were breaking down. By the time we hit Muppets from Space, and It's a very Merry Muppet Family Christmas, the Muppet family had some how become dark, over the top edgy, foolish, childish, and well lets face it down right dirty, rude and just plain dumb.

In my mind the core values have slowly died away, and the Muppets have by all accounts sold out. It is now days more about turning a buck, and the almighty dollar sign $, than it is about producing a quality program, with good old fashioned values. Muppets have always done commercials, but those of the 50's, 60's and 70's we innovative, fresh, and interesting. Now days Miss Piggy is more like a parody of herself, a cartoon of her once graceful beautiful, aggressive self. She has become a farce, they all have, and kids to day do not know what they are laughing at.

Look at films like "the Cat in the Hat" or Scooby Do, which nothing more than toilet jokes, potty and sexual humor, and why are kids laughing at it. What are we teaching them, no longer are the Muppets educators using humors irreverence and sincerity to convey real information, they have sold out. The worst part is that it becomes more and more morally acceptable to watch that kind of crap and call it good family entertainment.

I had opportunity to talk with one of the producers of Sesame Street about 4 years ago. They used to produce 100 shows a season, but with other crummy programming like tela tubbies, Barney, and a few others. they now only produce a little less than half, the Henson of the 70's and 80's is gone, it is gone for good my friends, and the work horse known as Disney will only continue to pump out below standard films riding the success of thee once timely classics into the ground.

Muppet films Like Disney Animation was something that used to be a fine craft, it took months often years to create. The writing was not only thought provoking, but intelligible, endearing, loveable and could stand on its own with out any jazzing up. The jokes had a fresh decency, and we all felt better after experiencing the film. When I was a boy it was standard after a Disney film there was applause, not any more, not theses days, now we are out the door before we realize it is over and on to the next thing.

OZ is a story that is over 100 years old, it was written in a fresh, brilliant style, with humor, and fun built right in, it is full of good values, morals and a friendly philosophy built right in. Things that the Muppets used to use to there advantage, I am disappointed and regret to say that this Muppet Oz thing looks like a total flop......and I regret holding on to my own dream for so long.

I am 29, and as a cold hard dose of reality there is only one boy in this entire world who will never grow up, and he died a long long time ago when Hook was eaten by the Crock.

christyb

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that most of TV and movies is nothing but crud. However, it's true filth sells. To change that you'd have to change America. And well most people would rather watch trash than good clean (I mean completly clean no innuendos, cuss words, nada) family entertainment. (I hated the rave idea and scene in VMMC) However, I still have a glimmer of hope for the Muppets. Can't help it I just do. I gave up on Disney long ago. I'm sorry for your bad experiences Craig. I'm sure that you have good memories though. Hold on to those. Call me ignorant, young, blinded whatever. Whatever the truth is and whereever the Muppets and Henson Co. is heading I'll never know. Frankly I don't want to know. Where there's still time left. There's still hope. Nothing's gone until it's completly dead. Which the Muppet's aren't..yet.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
christyb said:
In the teaser trailer. The scene where Queen Latifah (Auntie Em.) Is sitting at a table in a type of audience (I'm going from memory here so work with me.) In the lower part of the screen...Check it out. So is it David Golez sitting there or is it not????
It sure is.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
teaser.

Well i guess my macintosh is too darn old or something because I cannot play the teaser. I have seen the stills from it, but I can not get it to play. If some one has it in a formatt a mac can read please let me know.

beaker

Reaction score
To Craig Crane:

Thanks so much for posting, rarely do we get an indepth personal puppeteer's view. I am so sorry you never got to work on that Muppet film and get a career with JHC. That truly sucks.

I think it's denial on the part of fans, but truly the dream has crumbled. And it isnt all the EMTV and Disney buyouts. The fact the workshops were closed down, and the UK becoming not quite the creative output it once was for JHC...I mean the spiritual mecca of the Muppets is no longer NYC, but some studio closet in Burbank now.

To the good doctor, yes the Muppets have always been about core family values, there has always been an edge to the Muppets. Unfortunately, the Muppets have now gone down the sterile 'safe family fun' tubes to the other extreme now that Disney has got em. There is no balance anymore, tho I was probably one of the few people really cheering on the Muppet Fox Prime Time thing.

I know and I respect the Muppet fans are willing to take scraps...ABC posts what has to be the most lame duck, anti creative dreck since Classic Fairytale Theatre and people think it's the bomb.

the sooner we get into the reality of the situation, the sooner we can figure out how to process this unfortunate state of affairs.

Like I said, The Muppets 1955-2004

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
Well i guess my macintosh is too darn old or something because I cannot play the teaser. I have seen the stills from it, but I can not get it to play. If some one has it in a formatt a mac can read please let me know.
I converted the WMV file into QuickTime MPEG4, and higher quality MPEG. If you want I can e-mail or AIM it to you. The MPEG4 file is 1.3 mb's and the MPEG file is 11.8 mb's. The 11 mb one I would have to send over AIM, but the 1 mb one I can e-mail.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
I converted the WMV file into QuickTime MPEG4, and higher quality MPEG. If you want I can e-mail or AIM it to you. The MPEG4 file is 1.3 mb's and the MPEG file is 11.8 mb's. The 11 mb one I would have to send over AIM, but the 1 mb one I can e-mail.
Please email the quicktime to me @ scaecrow34@hotmail.com.

In fact any one can email meif they want to.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
Sent.

It's scarecrow34@hotmail.com though, isn't it?

Hey man thanks fro sending that, I got it and just realized that there is some kind of blocker her at work so we cannot watch video here. Now that I am out of the house i will have to see about getting the net turned on at the new place.

I am so dumb I cannot believe I spelled my own email address wrong.

scarecrow34@hotmail.com

Like I said any one can email me.