1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

eFX's Rizzo Thread

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by the80sdrummer, Jan 16, 2010.

1. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I've stopped saving money for this in order to invest in things right here and now. There's no reason to put my life on hold in this challenging economy. I do feel Rizzo could eventually come out, but I'm quite underwhelmed by the lack of information from EFX. They could be silent because they don’t know anything new or because they are going under as a business. There’s just no way to tell.

I'm no stranger to the world of small business and how much harder we have to try than the bigger guys. It's just that every time EFX announces something they make it seem like this product is just around the corner when it isn't. I just hope that I’ll have enough money if Rizzo ever comes out.

There’s likely to be a sizable Muppet product push next year and this Rizzo could just get lost in the mix. Now is the time to release an expensive poser.
  2. hoopless

hoopless Member

I've pretty much given up too, but part of me is still crossed. Last time I checked the Efx site they were taking orders for the Snow White heart box which was announced at a similar sort of time to Rizzo, so maybe he's next on the agenda once they've dealt with that. They don't seem able to deal with more than one collectible at a time.
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I guess Wondercon in a few weeks or D23 in a couple months will be the final test of Rizzo's viablility. :shifty:
  4. hoopless

hoopless Member

I would think they'll aim for D23 (what does the 23 stand for? I was thinking it was just the number of times the convention had happened, I guess not if it's gonna be 23 again). Makes sense for them to do that when they have already announced a discount for members. Perhaps that way they think they will get more pre-orders if they make him available there first. Just guessing obviously.
  5. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

The 23 stands for 1923, the year Walt Disney set up walt Disney studios.
  6. muppetguy

muppetguy Member

I'm not really one to say this, and it's out of character for me, But I feel the same as others here. I have no faith in Rizzo coming out. I wish they would, but I just feel it's been way to extremely long for a release date or a pre-order date. I know things take time, but this is waaaaaay too much time. Oh well. I had enough for him, but have directed that money elsewhere, like Jaime.:shifty:

eFx, if you're reading this, seriously, throw us a bone, and not the same bone you've been throwing either. Your website has not been updated AT ALL. It looks like no one has even pre-orderd the evil queens heart box yet. It just makes sales look bad.:sympathy:
  7. goldengonzo

goldengonzo Member

D23 isn't until August of next year. 2011.
  8. Boba Lynn

Boba Lynn Member

The new EFX news letter that just came out today has nothing listed about Rizzo.
    Lynn
  9. hoopless

hoopless Member

ahh that makes sense.

Rizzo was on show at comicon again from what I've heard but decidedly more faded than he was last year, but still no news.
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

No news is the news. No factory wants to handle this piece at the cost and quality required by EFX and Disney. I think they want to avoid the weird sizing issue with Kermit and mouthplate issue with Animal of MR's factories that committed to making something they couldn't quite deliver. It would be nice if they kept us in the loop and hadn't yanked our chain as much in the beginning, but at least we know the skinny on it now.

My prediction: If these get made it won't be this year. The time it would take to manufacture and test these items would probably set the release date somewhere in the first half of next year if things start going well. Maybe Comic Con provided EFX with some new options. I have a feeling that the license will lapse before these get made.

Either way, in my 20/20 hindsight...I would gone with Beaker as the first EFX poser. He would have sold to fans and non-fans alike and while no Muppet construction is simple, the design and materials would be a little easier to get right. I would have also packed a survey inside the box to see what people who actually bought the poser would want by way of future posers. That's all fine and easy to say now, of course, but it would have been the best way to get these done IMHO. :eek:
  11. Davina

Davina Member

maybe whoever winds up with the license in the future (if it has one..) will take that into consideration..
  12. MuppetCaper

MuppetCaper Active Member

I still don't understand you reason for Beaker being a Muppet poser. there are a lot of people out there that would know Miss Piggy before who beaker was. Beaker is not that popular of a character as you are making him out to be. Maybe in your eyes Beaker would be the it factor for eFX, but in todays market, people would go with chaqraters they know all too well. Basically, Beaker was just a stand in character in the Muppet labs episodes and kinda in the background if you would say. You show a green frog and everyone knows up front that it is Kermit. People want key charactersYou say Darth Vader....everyoneknows who he is and he is a high sell in the Star Wars community, but if you put lets say....a Jawa, everyone is going to pick who they remember the most. It sure isn't going to be Beaker as a first character. I think Kermit is the best bet to give people who did not get him the first time a second chance.
  13. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I disagree. Beaker and Animal, despite being fairly one-note characters (or perhaps because of) have kind of eclipsed every other Muppet in popularity with the exception of Kermit, Piggy, and perhaps Gonzo. I see more Animal merchandise than almost any other character, except Kermit. Beaker has plenty of merchandise, too. People remember and LOVE Beaker, at least anyone I know. Bring up the Muppets, he's one of the first people remember. As far as merchandise, he would be a big seller. Of course, a moving head for Beaker is absolutely necessary, but would put us right back here. Too many mechanics.
  14. MuppetCaper

Still...Beaker would not make a better choice. And most likely, a background character or one that is rarely seen in all the Muppet show history is the least chosen character for this kind of collection other than the Muppet fans themselves. People would probably remember Scooter much more than they would Beaker, And I am talking about people that might remember some charaters from this show, NOT the die hard fans. This is a non seller collectible.
  15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Beaker is king, and them's the facts.

I think you're speaking to your personal taste rather than actual sales. Beaker is big business! Incredibly, Miss Piggy's sales are sluggish when she's pegged next to the rest of the gang. These are facts that both Disney and Henson would tell you and it is mentioned to their licensors.

Rankings for side-by-side Muppet sales for the past couple decades go something like this: Kermit, Animal, Beaker, Gonzo, Fozzie, Swedish Chef, Piggy. You will notice that the first two characters that usually get the product treatment are Kermit and Animal. And yes, Fozzie is a much slower seller than he used to be due to low exposure, but that’s changing. However, Gonzo has a fairly large fanbase. Pepe and Rizzo are the wild cards that I don’t know exactly how to rank. Scooter is a very slow seller. Rowlf, while not as slow as Scooter, is also a slower selling character. Again, this has to do with low exposure.

People who can't even correctly spell Beaker would shell out big bucks for him. The redheaded lab assistant has a very broad appeal! :eek: Personally, I'll take a faithful representation of Miss Piggy or Scooter anyday over Beaker (even though I love that meepster too).

This information comes as a fan, as someone who worked on Muppet product and also as a store manager who has sold Muppet items in a toy shop.
  16. MuppetCaper

It isn't based on my taste at all, it is based on people who actually know these characters. For example, I asked people as well as co-workers and who ever I can find just to ask them if they knew any of the characters of the Muppets. Most of them knew who Kermit was, as well as piggy. I asked them if they knew who Beaker was and you wouldn't believe that a lot of them did not know who he was. Even after I discribed him to them, they still couldn't get him to remembering. This has nothing to do with personal taste, but a matter of how people would base a character off of. And comparing a little plastic toy to a high end Poser is way off, it is like comparing apples to oranges. You ask Bryan if they would make Beaker and see what kind of responce you would get regarding sales. If he was made, lets just say, he would be a very low number and extremely limited. Most of the buyers would probably be hardcore fans if most could afford a piece like this. I don't know where you got your statistics from, but I sure would like to see how you figure this to be the best choice.
  17. MuppetCaper

Also, just cause you work in a toy shop and made figures doesn't mean that you know everything about what goes on with other companies and there products. You helped in making them, not selling them directly from the company. Now if you where a head CEO and was making the profit and knows what is selling is one thing. I worked for a major big company at one time also, but I cannnot sit here and think that I know everything about it cause I don't and I don't try to and don't want to. I did what I was suppose to and that was it. And like I said toys are one thing a collectible is another thing.
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I can't vouch for Bryan or your coworkers. I'm certainly not an expert, but I do have a little more working knowledge than most in the area of basic action figures, high end collectibles, Muppets and what customers of all sorts will spend real money on. Sometimes it bewilders me how a bit character has more popularity than a wider-known icon. Nonetheless...everybody knows Beaker. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't recognize the Muppet, but I've always lived in the US cities that tend to be particularly influenced by pop culture. It really could be different everywhere else. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it conflicts what I've experienced. I still feel that the meepster would be a huge seller no matter what kind of product. :eek: meep
  19. MuppetCaper

All in all...I would like to see at least one character made. I don't care who it is. It would be nice and different for a change just to add to the rest of the gang. I am sure that anyone would agree on this one! ;)
  20. Luke

Luke Active Member

Um dude ... if this was five years ago when Beaker wasnt being used much i would kinda half agree with you, although even then he was always a pop culture symbol and these posers are obviously marketed to pop culture lovers. But recently we had "Ode To Joy" ... 10 MILLION hits (probably more). He was a viral sensation, near enough Susan Boyle like. Most people know who he is now, probably only Kermit is more recognisable and loved at the moment.

Beaker would be a perfect choice right about now. While he's "hot" in marketing terms.

The thing about doing Kermit again to give people another chance at getting him. The market for these is only so big. 80% of the people who buy the posers this time will be the same people who bought the posers last time. Sesame fans might be more likely to go for this version given its "Reporter" like, and i'm sure it'd do fine, but its not going to be the answers to all their prayers in selling these.