eFX's Rizzo Thread

Davina

Reaction score
maybe whoever winds up with the license in the future (if it has one..) will take that into consideration..

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I still don't understand you reason for Beaker being a Muppet poser. there are a lot of people out there that would know Miss Piggy before who beaker was. Beaker is not that popular of a character as you are making him out to be. Maybe in your eyes Beaker would be the it factor for eFX, but in todays market, people would go with chaqraters they know all too well. Basically, Beaker was just a stand in character in the Muppet labs episodes and kinda in the background if you would say. You show a green frog and everyone knows up front that it is Kermit. People want key charactersYou say Darth Vader....everyoneknows who he is and he is a high sell in the Star Wars community, but if you put lets say....a Jawa, everyone is going to pick who they remember the most. It sure isn't going to be Beaker as a first character. I think Kermit is the best bet to give people who did not get him the first time a second chance.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I still don't understand you reason for Beaker being a Muppet poser. there are a lot of people out there that would know Miss Piggy before who beaker was. Beaker is not that popular of a character as you are making him out to be. Maybe in your eyes Beaker would be the it factor for eFX, but in todays market, people would go with chaqraters they know all too well. Basically, Beaker was just a stand in character in the Muppet labs episodes and kinda in the background if you would say. You show a green frog and everyone knows up front that it is Kermit. People want key charactersYou say Darth Vader....everyoneknows who he is and he is a high sell in the Star Wars community, but if you put lets say....a Jawa, everyone is going to pick who they remember the most. It sure isn't going to be Beaker as a first character. I think Kermit is the best bet to give people who did not get him the first time a second chance.
I disagree. Beaker and Animal, despite being fairly one-note characters (or perhaps because of) have kind of eclipsed every other Muppet in popularity with the exception of Kermit, Piggy, and perhaps Gonzo. I see more Animal merchandise than almost any other character, except Kermit. Beaker has plenty of merchandise, too. People remember and LOVE Beaker, at least anyone I know. Bring up the Muppets, he's one of the first people remember. As far as merchandise, he would be a big seller. Of course, a moving head for Beaker is absolutely necessary, but would put us right back here. Too many mechanics.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Still...Beaker would not make a better choice. And most likely, a background character or one that is rarely seen in all the Muppet show history is the least chosen character for this kind of collection other than the Muppet fans themselves. People would probably remember Scooter much more than they would Beaker, And I am talking about people that might remember some charaters from this show, NOT the die hard fans. This is a non seller collectible.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Beaker is king, and them's the facts.

I think you're speaking to your personal taste rather than actual sales. Beaker is big business! Incredibly, Miss Piggy's sales are sluggish when she's pegged next to the rest of the gang. These are facts that both Disney and Henson would tell you and it is mentioned to their licensors.

Rankings for side-by-side Muppet sales for the past couple decades go something like this: Kermit, Animal, Beaker, Gonzo, Fozzie, Swedish Chef, Piggy. You will notice that the first two characters that usually get the product treatment are Kermit and Animal. And yes, Fozzie is a much slower seller than he used to be due to low exposure, but that’s changing. However, Gonzo has a fairly large fanbase. Pepe and Rizzo are the wild cards that I don’t know exactly how to rank. Scooter is a very slow seller. Rowlf, while not as slow as Scooter, is also a slower selling character. Again, this has to do with low exposure.

People who can't even correctly spell Beaker would shell out big bucks for him. The redheaded lab assistant has a very broad appeal! :eek: Personally, I'll take a faithful representation of Miss Piggy or Scooter anyday over Beaker (even though I love that meepster too).

This information comes as a fan, as someone who worked on Muppet product and also as a store manager who has sold Muppet items in a toy shop.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
It isn't based on my taste at all, it is based on people who actually know these characters. For example, I asked people as well as co-workers and who ever I can find just to ask them if they knew any of the characters of the Muppets. Most of them knew who Kermit was, as well as piggy. I asked them if they knew who Beaker was and you wouldn't believe that a lot of them did not know who he was. Even after I discribed him to them, they still couldn't get him to remembering. This has nothing to do with personal taste, but a matter of how people would base a character off of. And comparing a little plastic toy to a high end Poser is way off, it is like comparing apples to oranges. You ask Bryan if they would make Beaker and see what kind of responce you would get regarding sales. If he was made, lets just say, he would be a very low number and extremely limited. Most of the buyers would probably be hardcore fans if most could afford a piece like this. I don't know where you got your statistics from, but I sure would like to see how you figure this to be the best choice.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
This information comes as a fan, as someone who worked on Muppet product and also as a store manager who has sold Muppet items in a toy shop.

Also, just cause you work in a toy shop and made figures doesn't mean that you know everything about what goes on with other companies and there products. You helped in making them, not selling them directly from the company. Now if you where a head CEO and was making the profit and knows what is selling is one thing. I worked for a major big company at one time also, but I cannnot sit here and think that I know everything about it cause I don't and I don't try to and don't want to. I did what I was suppose to and that was it. And like I said toys are one thing a collectible is another thing.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Also, just cause you work in a toy shop and made figures doesn't mean that you know everything about what goes on with other companies and there products. You helped in making them, not selling them directly from the company. Now if you where a head CEO and was making the profit and knows what is selling is one thing. I worked for a major big company at one time also, but I cannnot sit here and think that I know everything about it cause I don't and I don't try to and don't want to. I did what I was suppose to and that was it. And like I said toys are one thing a collectible is another thing.
I can't vouch for Bryan or your coworkers. I'm certainly not an expert, but I do have a little more working knowledge than most in the area of basic action figures, high end collectibles, Muppets and what customers of all sorts will spend real money on. Sometimes it bewilders me how a bit character has more popularity than a wider-known icon. Nonetheless...everybody knows Beaker. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't recognize the Muppet, but I've always lived in the US cities that tend to be particularly influenced by pop culture. It really could be different everywhere else. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it conflicts what I've experienced. I still feel that the meepster would be a huge seller no matter what kind of product. :eek: meep

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
All in all...I would like to see at least one character made. I don't care who it is. It would be nice and different for a change just to add to the rest of the gang. I am sure that anyone would agree on this one! :wink:

Luke

Reaction score
I still don't understand you reason for Beaker being a Muppet poser. there are a lot of people out there that would know Miss Piggy before who beaker was. Beaker is not that popular of a character as you are making him out to be. Maybe in your eyes Beaker would be the it factor for eFX, but in todays market, people would go with chaqraters they know all too well.
Um dude ... if this was five years ago when Beaker wasnt being used much i would kinda half agree with you, although even then he was always a pop culture symbol and these posers are obviously marketed to pop culture lovers. But recently we had "Ode To Joy" ... 10 MILLION hits (probably more). He was a viral sensation, near enough Susan Boyle like. Most people know who he is now, probably only Kermit is more recognisable and loved at the moment.

Beaker would be a perfect choice right about now. While he's "hot" in marketing terms.

The thing about doing Kermit again to give people another chance at getting him. The market for these is only so big. 80% of the people who buy the posers this time will be the same people who bought the posers last time. Sesame fans might be more likely to go for this version given its "Reporter" like, and i'm sure it'd do fine, but its not going to be the answers to all their prayers in selling these.