1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Elmo, Ready for Action! and his Overdominance

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by SSLFan, Apr 3, 2008.

1. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's a good point I hadn't thought of. From what I've seen of education, experts want kids to do better and be more ambitious, but they're hesitant to make kids really work for it. I don't mean they should be like drill sargents. Just that kids need to be given more credit. Making things easier for kids only gives them the impression they can't do anything themselves.
  3. StarrFilter

StarrFilter Member

Chill out guys... Sesame Street is for kids and the kids LOVE Elmo. Also, Vee Corp's highest selling SSL show EVER was Elmo's Coloring Book in 2005. Their lowest selling show was Super Grover! Ready for Action which followed in 2006. If I worked for Sesame Workshop or Vee Corp's corporate office I would plaster Elmo on everything too. The truth IS, no matter what character's are in the show, none of us will enjoy Sesame Street as much as we did when we were kids.... because we're NOT kids... Feel me? And in my opinion the Sesame Street television show and live show get's better and better every year.
  4. heralde

I think the Grover merchandise might sell more if he (and other characters for that matter) were featured more. :super:

And again, I'm concerned about the kids who don't follow the trends. I don't like that they're learning that they must follow the popular stuff so early in life.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

We have a winner:

AH- HAAA! That's what I've been waiting to hear. It IS a marketting tool, and clearly they won't alter the show too much. Maybe a little to feature Abby. But that's it. That said:

I don't completely doubt she was for marketting, but she was clearly added in due to the fact that the only female SS Muppets that had any staying power were Zoe, Rosita, and Prairie Dawn. Quite a few female characters left with Stephanie D'Abruzzo (sp?) And we got Zoe, Prairie, And Rosita vs, Big Bird, Oscar, Cookie Monster, Grover, Ernie, Bert, Snuffy, Telly, Baby Bear, and of course, Elmo. So it pretty much is a more male dominated area (there's another thread about it, which explains what I think about that thing). But clearly, with a female character, they can appeal to the female demographic when it comes to merchandise. Old Schoolers would want Prairie, and that leaves Zoe and Rosita. It really is a swing at Dora the Explora, trying to get a positive female role model into the show. (how positive is Dora? She has no personality).
  6. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

You know it's weird since ECB was done back in 1997, and you'd expect that show to sell big since it came out not long after the Tickle Me Elmo craze. But I figured the Super Grover show would have done poorly, since Elmo's name isn't on it. :rolleyes:

And your right your right about the whole 'us not being kids' thing.
  7. heralde

True, we are not kids, that's something to keep in mind, lol. But I am honestly also thinking of today's kids, not just myself. :)
  8. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Yeah...
  9. Drtooth

Somehow, i have the horrible thought that This will be the next SS Live show.

(I wish I had Photoshop... it would've been a lot funnier if done well)
  10. heralde

Ah, nice! Lol Hopefully it won't get that bad.

I know what you mean about lack of Photoshop (though that looked fine). Microsoft's Paint program just doesn't deliver for me. ;)
  11. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

LOL! I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.
  12. Drtooth

You are all victims to my WeIRd sense of humor. Maybe the cheap, pieced together in 5 minutes look makes it funnier. Sort of like they'd throw something together to please stock holders or something.
  13. heralde

Well what I think I liked most was the different ways of including his name, especially "Elmo of Sesame Street." Lol

I wouldn't want Elmo to disapear entirely of course, just be one of the gang again so to speak. ;)
  14. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

I agree 100%.:)
  15. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

So true to like. So true to life. LOL!:batty:
  16. StarrFilter

StarrFilter Member

I actually received a tip that the next show is gonna be about global awareness, the environment, helping our planet, etc...

What do you think they'll call it...? "Elmo saves Earth" LOLOLOL!
  17. heralde

Oh sure...all by himself! :coy: Hehe

Well, I do at least admire them for focusing on the environment. :wisdom:
  18. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Oh this is great! I love the enviroment after all. Hmmm..what should the title be? How about "Save Our Earth!" :insatiable:
  19. heralde

Yeah I mean, maybe the emphasis should be more on the audience and how they can help out, rather than how this one character does it.
  20. StarrFilter

StarrFilter Member

well yeah. i know it will be more about what the audience can do. i was just joking. but seriously, i bet it'll be something like "elmo's clean up club" or something like that.