Elmo, Ready for Action! and his Overdominance

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It like I said before. it's Urkel all over again. Where I characters takes over a show form an ensemble casts and takes the focus off of everybody els. LOL!:stick_out_tongue:
Kind of like Hawkeye on M*A*S*H.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well sort of, I mean Hawkeye was already the main character, at least in the original movie he was. In the case of Elmo, he belonged to an ensemble cast where no one was really supposed to be the main lead. But now that's changed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well sort of, I mean Hawkeye was already the main character, at least in the original movie he was. In the case of Elmo, he belonged to an ensemble cast where no one was really supposed to be the main lead. But now that's changed.
Actually, Trapper was the star of the original movie, and was supposed to be on the show, but I think Alan Alda's performance as Hawkeye is what lead to Hawkeye being the "star" of the show, even though it WAS supposed to be more of an ensemble series.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm I always saw the two of them as being sort of partners in the movie, with Hawkeye being a little more important. The movie basically follows him from beginning to end, while he meets the other characters.

But on the other hand, as far as the show, I agree, Alan Alda owned that role! Hehe

But anyway, back to the topic. :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
He just sort of came and showed up like a whirlwind and slowly took over. :shifty:

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
It would make more sense to have a wider range of characters. The show was about diversity to begin with after all.
Well the last time I checked the show was called Sesame Street, STREET as in a community of people and animals living in a neighborhood together in peace no matter how diverse or different they were. NOT about one creature's imaginary world taking up 1/2 the show, and don't give me any bull about needing to draw in a younger audience, how old were you when you got sucked into that wonderful world? I was 1. And I learned how to count, say my ABC's, opposites, and even how to say water in spanish (that I used a lot when I was young) all before I went to kindergarten when I was 5. I don't understand why they make television more stupid and simpler for younger kids now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It like I said before. it's Urkel all over again. Where I characters takes over a show form an ensemble casts and takes the focus off of everybody els. LOL!:stick_out_tongue:

Yeah, but then again, with Urkel, the only other interresting character in the series was Carl. Other than that, the mystery of what happened to the little girl who's greedy mother priced the child actor right off the show is the only thing that gets me interrested in watching it again. Not that I didn't like it when I was a kid....

Elmo on the other hand is part of a very diverse and interresting cast. Take away characters that have been retired, or just don't have a suitible recast, you still have Bert, Ernie, Grover, Cookie, Bird, Snuffy, Oscar, the list goes on and on. Now I give credit to the merchandise. They have started to focus more on Ernie, Bird, Cookie, Abby, and Oscar. But still, the balance is still skewed. Until you get to the stuff driven to collectors and older fans. Elmo does have adult sized mens T's, but its more common to see Bert and Ernie, or the Ensamble cast. or Oscar. (Still kinda depressed they never made an adult Telly Shirt)....

which actually brings me to the next item. How the shell is Telly still underrepresented in merchandising? Elmo may be in every episode, but Telly's in most of, if not every other episode. But other than a mention in Family Guy, you never hear much about him. Even Baby Bear gets a little representation from time to time.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Yeah, but then again, with Urkel, the only other interresting character in the series was Carl. Other than that, the mystery of what happened to the little girl who's greedy mother priced the child actor right off the show is the only thing that gets me interrested in watching it again. Not that I didn't like it when I was a kid....

Elmo on the other hand is part of a very diverse and interresting cast. Take away characters that have been retired, or just don't have a suitible recast, you still have Bert, Ernie, Grover, Cookie, Bird, Snuffy, Oscar, the list goes on and on. Now I give credit to the merchandise. They have started to focus more on Ernie, Bird, Cookie, Abby, and Oscar. But still, the balance is still skewed. Until you get to the stuff driven to collectors and older fans. Elmo does have adult sized mens T's, but its more common to see Bert and Ernie, or the Ensamble cast. or Oscar. (Still kinda depressed they never made an adult Telly Shirt)....

which actually brings me to the next item. How the shell is Telly still underrepresented in merchandising? Elmo may be in every episode, but Telly's in most of, if not every other episode. But other than a mention in Family Guy, you never hear much about him. Even Baby Bear gets a little representation from time to time.
the Doctor of Teeth has a point. Bet ya kids just don't like him in test screenings, but he is a good supporting character and that puppeteer has been around forever, maybe longer than Kevin

who plays him anyway?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well the last time I checked the show was called Sesame Street, STREET as in a community of people and animals living in a neighborhood together in peace no matter how diverse or different they were. NOT about one creature's imaginary world taking up 1/2 the show, and don't give me any bull about needing to draw in a younger audience, how old were you when you got sucked into that wonderful world? I was 1. And I learned how to count, say my ABC's, opposites, and even how to say water in spanish (that I used a lot when I was young) all before I went to kindergarten when I was 5. I don't understand why they make television more stupid and simpler for younger kids now.
Right, when I was talking about diversity, I meant that the show needed to include all the different sort of characters, not just Elmo. :smile:

And I get the impression there are a lot of child experts nowadays saying we must avoid "confusing" children too much. That adults must always make things extra easy for kids and not challenge them. It's not helpful in the long run and we will pay for it down the line.

Children are not as simple as some people think they are. And if they do have questions, that's what parents and teachers are for. And to raise them without challenges means they will be unprepared for life. Jamie Lee Curtis recently talked about how she helped advertise toys for awhile and there was this one toy she remembered where it looks like you're winning, but at the last second, your tower may crash and you lose. Apparently, parents were so sick of their kids' tantrums when they lost, that the company changed the game! Parents may have avoided the tantrums, but they also avoided teaching their kids how to live a full life.

SSLFan

Reaction score

They have(referring to Ernie and Big Bird)? Lately it's been the Elmo, Oscar, Abby, and Cookie Monster show. :rolleyes:

I wish they would branch out into other characters instead of just these 4. And your right, Telly should be on more merchandise. It seems as if he's on the show more than Big Bird and Ernie combined!(which is pretty sad).