1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Elmo, Ready for Action! and his Overdominance

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by SSLFan, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Lemme just say, when I was writing the bit aout Big Elmo's Elm-tacular Totally Elmo-ture show (elmo), I almost ha a heart attact laughing. Be thankful you weren't present to the great "Mini-gobo" Fiasco of Two Thousand Ought Two

"save the elmo, save the world"
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I know, I just meant I wouldn't be surprised if they really did that. ;)

Elmo-tacular, lol, there's something hilarious about that word, lol.
  3. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

Yes...I interact with kids on a daily basis (sometimes it seems more like a neverending basis :insatiable: )

Anyway, we really shouldn't underestimate kids. And I still have vivid memories of being a kid myself. The thing is some kids like Elmo it's true. But think how many MORE kids would get into Sesame Street if it could somehow make itself a little hipper, a little less Elmo-centric. That's all I'm saying. (and many others have said it to).

When I have kids, I intend to show them both the new and the old Sesame Street. I'll try not to bias them towards the classic SS too much, but you know...:p
  4. Drtooth

If you wanna get technical, I put "Elm-Tacular" not Elmo-tacular. it's a matter of keeping the sylables sounding the same as the original word. Plus the fact it could also sounds like an elm tree gives it a nice pop.

Anyway:

Unfortunately, that's how quite a few entertainment companies think. I like hearing that not ever kid likes Elmo. I mean, sure, I liked virtually everyone on Sesame, be they human or Muppet. But back in those days there was quite a bit to choose from.

One could argue the fact that Elmo actually revitilized Sesame Street, after struggling to find their place after multiple talents passed on or left the show. Around the corner is an example of this. I can easily compare it with Muppets Tonight- The older characters were still there, but newer characters were added to fill gaps. Much like Scooter and Rowlf were retired (or just not officially recast) and Frank Oz's absense and , characters like Pepe, Johnny, Sal, Andy and Randy pig filled those spots, Characters like Humphry and Ingrid, Sherri netherland, Elmo and Zoe were used to fill in various other characters. By the time Elmo got famous, they found a way to return Sesame Street to the more classic sense of the Main street, Hoopers, the Nest- etc.

The 90's were a tough time for Kid's educational TV. I blame the rise of Barney the Dinosaur for this. Elmo pretty much helped the show come out of the 90's relatively unscathed (while afformentioned Nick Jr. shows started to arrise). unfortunately, his popularity (as well as the lack of characters from the past, both recent and distant) pretty much altered what the show was.

that said, know what else would be funny? If they took an old show, used the same audio, but randomly cut in lines to feature Elmo. And his lines add nothing to the show. he'd just go around agreeing whith what the others say, like:

Big Bird: I know! Let's play an imagination game!

Elmo: Elmo agress with what Big Bird just said!

Ernie: Let's imagine that we're on a pirate ship, looking for treasure. And Rubber Duckie can be my first Mate.

Elmo: Pirates and Rubber Duckie!

Oscar: Uh, let's not and say we did.

Elmo: Oscar likes to make disparaging remarks.

And let's not forget redubbing songs in the same manner.

Grover: I'm Fuzzy and Blue

Elmo: And Elmo

Grover: Fuzzy and Blue

Elmo: with Elmo, who's red

Grover: Don't you wish that you

Elmo: Elmo likes to wish

Grover: Were all fuzzy and Blue

Elmo: I'm the one known as Elmo!

sort of like this
  5. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Oh I loved Pinky and The Brain and Larry! They were making fun of the fact that the network wanted them to add i another character and they felt like their would be not reason to do so and that he would have just been in the way, LOL! I was just watching that episode the other day!
  6. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

7. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Here's another thread along these same lines. Some good points are brought up by both past and present members:

Elmo Theories

Convincing John
  8. Drtooth

So, when do you suppose they're going to randomly re-title something Abby Cadabby's something or other? you know, to hype that character up more?

This played last weekend, and I kinda wanted to sneak in and see if I could just buy souveniers.
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

When ever she gets a doll that sells like the Elmo one did I assume.
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This thread just keeps getting more and more hilarious!
  11. Drtooth

Wait and see is all I can see. In fact, she had a parade balloon before Elmo ever did. And I'm not talking about these. And I've seen entire lines of Party hats and gear like that that feature only Abby, while even Elmo had to share his with Ernie, Bert, Oscar, and Big Bird.

So, we can't rule anything out just yet.

because we could surely see This

it's not quite as funny, but 'struth!
  12. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

It could happen. But it feels like it might be a little forced you know?I think even the beginning of Elmo main just sort of caught everyone off guard and happened sore of naturally. Then, it was shoved doe everyones throats after they just ran with it and he all of a sudden became the direction they were going in.

It's hard to create and recreate that kind of response.
  13. Drtooth

seems like with Elmo, we had a rising star that wound up dominating the action later on down the line. Abby seems like Sesame is trying to get as much publicity as possible. I mean, I grew to like the character and all, but it comes on WAAAAAAAY too strong. I know the importance of a positive female lead in a TV series for kids, but let's grow into the character first, before the media Blitz.

But hey, anything to stay one step ahead of Nick Jr's highly commercial spaztastic overrated line up.

I miss Pinwheel. Though I only saw it like twice.
  14. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

I just saw on the news that they're using Elmo to teach kids about what their parents are going through in the war or something like that. I know this has been brought up on this forum before, so I'm not gonna keep bringing it up, but actually, if you were to put a character in that position, Elmo, even if he wasn't being used as much, would be perfect because of him being so child-like. But then again, whatever happened to the good old days of childrens television? I mean, where are all the Mr. Wizards at? Why don't they show re-runs of THAT anymore?

Daniel
  15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Mabye because today's stations are moving forward into the future and have no need for older shows. Take TV Land for example. They've started showing more recent shows.
  16. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Mr Wizard was the bomb-diggity. I mean, at least show it on Noggin or something.

Daniel
  17. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Well, what I mean when I was talking about throwing everybody of guard was right before the very hight of the character started. But it's understandable that it happened anyway, so it really didn't came so too much of a suprised besides just out out of hand it escalated too! But yeah, *** can feel like there is more Abby out in the public eye they there has been on the show itself.

I agree with you about Nick JR. These days! And I used to love Pinwheel! Used to watch it ever day sense my kindergarten was only half a day.:D

But theres always room for older shows!:D
  18. Drtooth

Definately. Politics aside, Elmo was the perfect Muppet choice to talk about it, as he was during the post 2001 PSA's teaching kids about dealing with fear.

Elmo is one of the few muppets, as I've said, I can totally believe is a kid, and not an ambiguosly aged cartoony character (right up their with Big Bird and Robin). So no doubt he would have been a great choice in telling kids about something important that just wouldn't fit on the series.

And yes, kid's television, as I've said, has been dog excriment for years. It's all about making similar looking and sounding shows with no appeal to anyone over the age of 3. What started this asinine movement of making shows for kids younger than the intended age of television anyway? kids younger than 3 shouldn't be watching TV at all hours of the day. it's not going to make them any smarter. Especially with what they're watching.

Sigh. I've talked about it a million times. they just want the everybody else, who's watching everything else market, and they don't care about the fringe groups that DON'T like the Mainstream choices. Sure, I like Office and Earl and stuff like that... but there aren't any choices. And without cable, you have even less choices (no thanks to Cable existing, and apparently having only a few different choices).

The sad thing is, when I was little, we had syndication, and we were able to see different cartoons... Disney Afternoon, various toy themed programs, and of course, classics like Popeye and Looney Tunes. They aren't around anymore, so they can be aired on Cable networks that choose not to air them anymore. Simple as that.

It's hard to tell where Abby as a character starts, and Abby as a Publicity stunt ends. I know SW is hungry for publicity (look at the false plant about Cookie Monster not eating cookies years back, and the misinterpretations of why SS Old School wasn't for kids), since Nick Jr's garbage line up is getting more popular. Plus, all the fuss they come under for having the male muppets outnumber the female muppets. Plus, the need for gender specific merchandise. But getting a parade balloon is pretty big a publicity stunt. Seriously, not even Elmo has a Macy's Balloon.
  19. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, Abby is pretty sincere as a character and she is pretty low key and not over the top. But It's like all the hoopla surrounding her is crazier then she is. It dose kind of make you wonder just what there trying to get at?:search: :smirk:
  20. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That's what I was saying that first year they introduced her... I mean, they made SUCH a BIG deal out of her, she had all this publicity, and they were making her out to be the brand-spankin' new addition to the Sesame family that year, and then she only appeared in THREE episodes!