Elmo, Ready for Action! and his Overdominance

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Well the last time I checked the show was called Sesame Street, STREET as in a community of people and animals living in a neighborhood together in peace no matter how diverse or different they were. NOT about one creature's imaginary world taking up 1/2 the show, and don't give me any bull about needing to draw in a younger audience, how old were you when you got sucked into that wonderful world? I was 1.

Do you really remember age 1?

I remember being 2 but can't imagine anyone remembering before that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So, here we have Kindergartners who are expected to write constructed responses to test questions, and meanwhile they're being shown babyish material on TV? In my opinion, neither approach is correct. What happened to a happy medium between the two? :attitude:
That's a good point I hadn't thought of. From what I've seen of education, experts want kids to do better and be more ambitious, but they're hesitant to make kids really work for it. I don't mean they should be like drill sargents. Just that kids need to be given more credit. Making things easier for kids only gives them the impression they can't do anything themselves.

StarrFilter

Reaction score
Chill out guys... Sesame Street is for kids and the kids LOVE Elmo. Also, Vee Corp's highest selling SSL show EVER was Elmo's Coloring Book in 2005. Their lowest selling show was Super Grover! Ready for Action which followed in 2006. If I worked for Sesame Workshop or Vee Corp's corporate office I would plaster Elmo on everything too. The truth IS, no matter what character's are in the show, none of us will enjoy Sesame Street as much as we did when we were kids.... because we're NOT kids... Feel me? And in my opinion the Sesame Street television show and live show get's better and better every year.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think the Grover merchandise might sell more if he (and other characters for that matter) were featured more. :super:

And again, I'm concerned about the kids who don't follow the trends. I don't like that they're learning that they must follow the popular stuff so early in life.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We have a winner:

Sesame Street is for kids and the kids LOVE Elmo. Also, Vee Corp's highest selling SSL show EVER was Elmo's Coloring Book in 2005. Their lowest selling show was Super Grover! Ready for Action which followed in 2006
AH- HAAA! That's what I've been waiting to hear. It IS a marketting tool, and clearly they won't alter the show too much. Maybe a little to feature Abby. But that's it. That said:

But does anybody else have a problem with the fact that Abby was pretty much invented for the point of merchandizing? I thinks its a good thing to develop a character who's a role model, don't get me wrong. However, I'm a bit offended as a long time fan that Sesame (Street or Workshop, I'm not totally sure) would stoop so low to create a character whose primary objectives is to compete with another children's television show and sell some stuffed animals. The show was to celebrate learning, sot side-check another program to boost ratings...
I don't completely doubt she was for marketting, but she was clearly added in due to the fact that the only female SS Muppets that had any staying power were Zoe, Rosita, and Prairie Dawn. Quite a few female characters left with Stephanie D'Abruzzo (sp?) And we got Zoe, Prairie, And Rosita vs, Big Bird, Oscar, Cookie Monster, Grover, Ernie, Bert, Snuffy, Telly, Baby Bear, and of course, Elmo. So it pretty much is a more male dominated area (there's another thread about it, which explains what I think about that thing). But clearly, with a female character, they can appeal to the female demographic when it comes to merchandise. Old Schoolers would want Prairie, and that leaves Zoe and Rosita. It really is a swing at Dora the Explora, trying to get a positive female role model into the show. (how positive is Dora? She has no personality).

SSLFan

Reaction score
Chill out guys... Sesame Street is for kids and the kids LOVE Elmo. Also, Vee Corp's highest selling SSL show EVER was Elmo's Coloring Book in 2005. Their lowest selling show was Super Grover! Ready for Action which followed in 2006. If I worked for Sesame Workshop or Vee Corp's corporate office I would plaster Elmo on everything too. The truth IS, no matter what character's are in the show, none of us will enjoy Sesame Street as much as we did when we were kids.... because we're NOT kids... Feel me? And in my opinion the Sesame Street television show and live show get's better and better every year.
You know it's weird since ECB was done back in 1997, and you'd expect that show to sell big since it came out not long after the Tickle Me Elmo craze. But I figured the Super Grover show would have done poorly, since Elmo's name isn't on it. :rolleyes:

And your right your right about the whole 'us not being kids' thing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
True, we are not kids, that's something to keep in mind, lol. But I am honestly also thinking of today's kids, not just myself. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Somehow, i have the horrible thought that This will be the next SS Live show.

(I wish I had Photoshop... it would've been a lot funnier if done well)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ah, nice! Lol Hopefully it won't get that bad.

I know what you mean about lack of Photoshop (though that looked fine). Microsoft's Paint program just doesn't deliver for me. :wink: