Fan-Fic: Remembering The Good Times We Had

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Seventeen

Kermit stood there, becoming numb himself. He saw Deadly, eyes closed, his hand on Eleanor's shoulder. A few tears were rolling down the old dragon's snout. Life had walked inside the room, although Deadly never noticed it. The frog just stood against the doorframe. He could go inside, yet he couldn't leave. Something kept this old frog pinned to the spot where he stood.

Life patted Deadly on the shoulder, she knew his mind was replaying old, painful memories.

"It is alright, old friend. Do you know what shall happen now?"

Deadly opened his mouth to speak, yet nothing came forth. He then simply shook his head.

"You know not, dear friend? You yourself said it. At least in your thoughts. You had wished for Eleanor to come here...to die in the theatre so she might stay with you for all eternity. Is that not what you wished, old friend?"

His voice was a deep, gruff growl now. "I thought it, yes. But I realized that was too foolish for an old dragon to think of. Not a wise choice you know. For it is only Death that can grant such privilages to the desceased. For all I know, she might very well have wanted to pass on!"

"Why did you choose to stay behind then, Deadly?" Life asked simply.

"I felt I had unfinished business. And I did." Deadly looked back at Kermit, who had still not moved yet.

"Did you accomplish it, then?"

"That, I cannot be sure of." He looked towards where the stage is outside of the rooms. He's been a player in their TV shows. He's even been in one of their movies, when they filmed here at the theatre. He's an accomplished actor of stage and screen. A bit player, but still...a player nonetheless. He has done what he had set out to do.

Life merely smiled, with no words. Her expression said it all....everything and yet nothing. She knew what Deadly suddenly realized.

"I cannot go yet, Life...please. They have become my friends....I've protected them time and again!! They need me!!!"

"Are you sure that they need you Deadly? Most times they complain, that you are in their way. What do you say to that, dear frog?"

Deadly frowned, looking over at Kermit. Then he laughed a bit.
"To this weary frog, everyone's a bother when it's the night before the show! Everyone is in everyone else's hair, people are shouting, and it is pure chaos!! This frog, Kermit...he is the eye of this hurricane they call The Muppets. He watches over these frogs, and dogs, and bears, and chickens...and whatevers."

Life did not smile, nor did she frown. "But...what about phantoms?"

Kermit took a few steps inside, and he placed his hand on Uncle Deadly's shoulder.

"It's because...he watches over me, while I watch over them. He has stopped robberies, Life. We wouldn't be here, if it weren't for him. The theatre most likely wouldn't be here either....we're proud to say that we have a ghost watching over us!!"

"YEAH!!"

All the muppets had clambored outside the door, and where yelling in appreciation of Uncle Deadly, and what Kermit just said.

"He got me down from the rafters, after my cannon exploded!"

"He helped get rid of all the pests inside this theatre."

"He helped find my joke books my Ma gave me when I had lost them!"

Kermit nodded, watching the others say of things Deadly's helped them with. It may have been a small thing here and there. And granted, he's scared them more then helped them, but whatever he did they all still loved him.

"So, you see Life. You can't take him away just yet." Kermit was almost pleading with Life now.

Life laughed softly.

"You see, dear frog. It is not my matter weather or not he stays or goes. A good friend of mine, Death. He is the one you shall need to speak with, dear frog. Plead your case to him, not me. He shall see fit should he stay or should he go. Now for me, I need to leave as well. If Eleanor shall be restored to life as had Uncle Deadly, I shall be back for that time. If not, you will most likely never see me again. So, I bid you farewell. Death awaits for you in one hour."

The Muppets watched as Life poofed out once more, quite possibly for the last time, as she had said. They left to go sit out in the theatre seats. They were for the most part quiet. Which was very strange for them. They all reflected on what Life had said, and what they saw.

Then Rizzo and Pepe started to fight over some sandwiches. And Scooter and Fozzie where fussing over how much time Fozzie should get in the next show.

So far, it was life as usual for everyone. But...they still remembered, no matter much they tried to push it out of their minds, it was like an ink blot on a white sheet:

Death was coming. And he was sure to be angry at what's happened here.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Wow and wow again! I had alot to get caught up on this morning! Anyway, more good stuff here! I wish I could comment more, but I'm at work....but anyway this is simply marvelous and I can't wait to see what happens next when Death comes (yeah it sounds weird I know). I think I'll be sneaking peeks at this all day!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Thanks, redBoobergurl! Yeah, the rate I'm going at, it'll be like tommorrow and the story will be done. XD

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Eighteen

Death was waiting around in the theatre, watching over Eleanor's spirit.

"Why must we do this, Death?"

"WE MUST SEE IF HE IS TRUELY WORTHY."

"Worthy of what then? He has served you faithfully over many years. As so will I. But please, restore me as you have my love."

"I SHALL DECIDE ONCE I SEE HOW HE REACTS."

"Reacts? To what?" At that statement, Eleanor felt a great shove behind her, and her spirit was shoved towards her body. She felt something....click...one could describe it. It was if the puzzle was put together. Her soul...her spirit, and her body. As one, once more.

But this time, her heart did not beat, nor did her lungs take a breath. She was as Uncle Deadly is. Her body paled slowly, to the ashy blue that Deadly was. Her eyes had become black, with pale golden-yellow eyes. She slowly stirred, her eyes opening slowly.

She gripped Deadly's hand, a small smile coming across her beautiful fanged jaw.

"Deadly...open your eyes..."

Uncle Deadly could not bear to, his heart, although not beating, was telling him....she is not there, she is dead and lost. His heart denyed what his brain was telling him. With his not moving, Eleanor sat up, gripping Deadly's shoulders tightly. Her black/yellow eyes bored into his.

"Deadly Devonshire...please open your eyes, and look at your love." She sighed, smiling. "Doth has no pleasure as thine presence, Deadly."

He opened his eyes, but he did not look at her just yet. He mumbled softly, his soul feeling like it was dragged and beaten to a pulp...

"Thou hast beauty as the morn' shines o'er the hills of gold....no candle holds to thy beauty, my love."

"..Thou a fool, old dragon. Open your eyes already!!" She playfully slapped him across his snout, hoping to get some kind of reaction out of him. His eyes snapped open, and he was staring directly into Eleanor's blacked eyes, and paled face.

"You act like a young man still....you are grown, dearest love." She watched him search her face, while she talked. "Deadly? What is the matter?"

"You're more beautiful then I've ever seen before."

"Oh...my. Thank you, dear. What made you see a difference..."

He looked down, and placed a hand over his heart. "My heart, although it does not beat any longer, it had grown cold over so many years. My heart denyed it was you, darling. But....it finally agreed with what my mind remembered. And I am finally seeing you as the true beauty you are."

Piggy watched this, and she leaned over to Kermit, whispering. "He thinks she's a beauty!? Humph."

Kermit glanced at her, and just grasped her hand, squeezing a little too tightly, "Piggy, hush."

Eleanor stood up, and gave Deadly a hug, then she saw Death standing the corner of the room suddenly. Uncle Deadly stepped forward, glaring at Death.

"You cannot take her, Death."

Death frowned, glaring back at Deadly. "YOU CANNOT TELL ME WHAT TO DO OR NOT TO DO, DEADLY. I DO AS I PLEASE, AND YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT. BUT, AS FOR YOUR WIFE...."

Deadly stopped in his tracks, staring at Death, he gripped Eleanor's hand tightly, worried if she was going to leave him again.

"....SHE DIED IN THE THEATRE, SHE SHALL HAUNT IT FOR ALL ETERNITY, AS YOU SHALL STILL DO, DEADLY."

The muppets cheered. And suprisingly, so did Deadly! He hugged Eleanor tightly, and they went dancing around the room, giddy that they were to stay together forever now.

Death shook his head, glaring at them.

"QUIIET, YOU CRETINS!! ELEANOR, YOU WILL BE UNDER DEADLY'S CARE. YOU WILL LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAYS, UNDERSTOOD?"

"Yes, Death. I understand. He has been dead longer then I have, so I know what you are meaning."

"GOOD. ALSO, YOU MUST FOLLOW THE RULES OF DEATH, ELEANOR. ONE, YOU CANNOT SPEAK WITH THE LIVING. SECOND, YOU CANNOT LEAVE YOUR PLACE OF DEATH, WHICH FOR YOU, IS THE THEATRE. IF YOU LEAVE IT, WITHIN A FEW HOURS, YOU SPIRIT WILL YOU, AND YOU WILL BE IN LIMBO...FOREVER. FINALLY....YOU CANNOT HAVE LASGANA ON THE 3RD WEDNESDAY IN MARCH."

Eleanor nodded at all of that, until he got to the last rule.

"No lasgana on the...third Wednesday in March?? Why?"

"I DON'T LIKE LASGANA, THAT'S WHY."

"I see. Wait!! What about that first rule...I cannot speak to the living anymore??"

Death stopped for a moment, then he turned around. He sighed deeply, he did not like giving out this privilage to just anyone. Few people had gotten it before.

"DEADLY HAS THIS EXECPTION, AS SO SHALL YOU, ELEANOR. YOU MAY SPEAK WITH THE LIVING. BUT AS A PHANTOM, YOU SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. UNDERSTOOD?"

"Yes, Death. I understand." She nodded, her arm interwined with Deadly's.

"I SHALL TAKE MY LEAVE THEN. AND GONZO..."

Gonzo just stared at Death, he was suprised that he spoke to him.

"I ENJOY YOUR STUNTS....THEY ARE QUITE....DEATH-ENTICING!!!" He cackled loudly, going back in a blaze of black flames and smoke.

"D-Dosn't he mean...death-defying??" Fozzie piped up, quite afraid of Death himself.

Uncle Deadly just laughed, and Eleanor joined him. Then he whispered to Eleanor, and she nodded vigriously.

"Kermit, dear friend. I cannot thank you enough for how you have helped me these past few days. Is there anything we could do to repay you?"

Kermit thought about it, and he smiled, shaking his head. "Just keep watch over this old theatre, and you've done more then enough for us, Uncle Deadly."

Uncle Deadly bowed graciously towards Kermit and his Friends. "Then, we shall take our leave, up into the rafters, to rest." Uncle Deadly gripped Eleanor's hand, and the two flew up towards the rafters, dissapering into the darkness that envloped that high area.

Scooter yawned, he was stratching his chest, those bandages were itching him something fierce. He checked his watch, then jumped up.

"Hey Boss!! It's 3 hours to showtime!!!!"

Kermit looked at Scooter, and glanced at the clock on the wall, it was only 3 hours till the show was supposed to start.

"EVERYBODY GET READY NOW!!!!" He yelled at the top of his lungs, as everyone scrambled to get ready.

-------

Beauregard was setting up the backdrops, Fozzie was praticing his jokes. Scooter was lining up the acts, and pestering everyone with the countdown to showtime. Miss Piggy was going over her costumes and she was bugging Kermit as to which one she should wear. Stalder and Waldorf were coming in, as they always did early. Fozzie went to help the hecklers into their balcony seat. They heckled him, but he wasn't against helping them either.

And while everyone and everything else was rushing about, one small little frog walked out off of the stage, and onto the floor, where the seats were. He held a small sign in his hands, but, instead of one this time, he held two.

Walking over to two seats in the middle of the last row, he placed two signs, one on each seat.

Both of the signs read:

"Reserved for The Devonshires"

-----------

The End.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... What can I say. After three chapters...
Uncle Deadly reliving the night of the fire. Such bravado in that blue dragon.
The part with and where you introduced Sadie were the best.
Uncle Deadly frowning at Kermit, then laughing and proclaiming the frog was the eye of this hurricane called the Muppets...
That's one of the best lines I've heard in a long while.

Oh, if noone's caught this by now... The parts where you mention Uncle Deadly stopping robberies in the theater, a possible reference to Summer in the Theater?
Now, for more story we'll have to wait... But since we can't wait for more story, and Death. I hope Death will kindly wait for us to get back to more of this story.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
What a great ending!!!! Who knew Death had a soft side! I loved his line about Gonzo too, that was funny! Anyway, this was one amazing story Renee. I hope you keep writing because you have unbelievable talent!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! *Stands up and leads applause from the Netherworld section of the crowds. Truly a classic for all time here at MC.
Such a thrill to have a new phantom in the Muppet Family... Thank you sooo much for a grand tale Renee.
Maybe next one should be about Scooter's mom? Don't know, but was intrigued by Jerry Peters and Sadie Grosse. Hope to see your next work when it opens.
Now, if you'll hexcuse me, I have to get these bats and ghouls back to their death beds.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Okay, now I'm tempted to do a commentary like I've seen lots of guys do. A question though?

Should I do a commentary?

Especially I churned this story out over less then 2 days. More like a day and a half actually.

The Count said:
Well... What can I say. After three chapters...
Uncle Deadly reliving the night of the fire. Such bravado in that blue dragon.
Yes, he was quite brave.

Count said:
The part with and where you introduced Sadie were the best.
Yeah, I was always thinking about Scooter and Skeeter's parents, so I came up with Sadie. XD And if anyone didn't get it in the story, that's Scooter's mama that was caught in there. XD And she was only 3 years old too.

Ed said:
Uncle Deadly frowning at Kermit, then laughing and proclaiming the frog was the eye of this hurricane called the Muppets...
That's one of the best lines I've heard in a long while.
Thanks. I was reminded of all the "muppet speeches" I've watched in the movies (nearly every movie has one!) and almost also every fanfiction. So, I just took that "frogs, and dogs, and bears, and chickens..." line, then tweaked it a little bit. I heard something on the TV talking about "hurricanes" and I was reminded of some line out of another fanfiction (sorry I forgot names, I'm horrible at remembering exact details!!) about someone calling Kermit "the eye of this storm amidst all the chaos"

....oh wait. It was Jim Henson who said that!! I was watching my MTM DVD and I watched some of the Jim Henson interview. And he reffered to Kermit that way. XD That's really bad when you forget where stuff came from...

That Counting Vampire said:
Oh, if noone's caught this by now... The parts where you mention Uncle Deadly stopping robberies in the theater, a possible reference to Summer in the Theater?
*DING DING DING DING* Count got it right. Yes it was!! I saw that, and my mind just raced about Uncle Deadly, and how he could have helped them. I mean, that theater is so old...and although there have been times they've had to scrape, I can't believe their would never be a robbery or a defacement of some sort during all that time! :big_grin:

1 said:
Now, for more story we'll have to wait... But since we can't wait for more story, and Death. I hope Death will kindly wait for us to get back to more of this story.
Well, that actually was the last of the story, Count. I'm sorry, but stay tuned! I'll do a commentary of this story, in a day or so!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry. My first post was after reading Chapters 15-17, and I posted after finishing... Not realizing that my post had been beaten out by Chapter 18 and Beth's reply. So, there's another post of mine above about the end. Good luck with whatever other story you fancy wrting after this one.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Okay, simple stats on this story. In WordPad it is 25 pages long, printed out.

• 14pt Arial - Title - Bolded / Underlined
  • 11pt Arial - Chapter Headers - Bolded / Underlined
  • 10pt Arial - Story Contents - Normalized.
  • This story clocks in at 14,790 words total. Amazing huh?
And look closely during the next two days or so, I shall be doing a commentary, with Scooter, and myself. Jim and Jerry may be joining us as well! Tune in tommorrow then!!