FanFic: The Bonds of Family

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aw Sara... And here we thought you wouldn't connect this one to the rest... But I must commend you on bringing back Doc Hopper and Max, his assistant. Also, the reference to SS and Hopper's name, nice touches. The scene in the hotel was a bit funny, good to have it added in there.

But the line that stays with you... "Kermit never wished death upon anyone..."
Deep stuff, looking forward to more soon.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
:wink: ....sorry...I couldn't HELP it! It takes place before any of the other stories though. So no Sadie, or Skeeter I think.

So, yes it does tie in. I will most likely not be including it with the books though, it wouldn't make much sense. This is after Muppets Tonight, and before Muppets From Space, hence the blowup over a scene. XD

Ed said:
Also, the reference to SS and Hopper's name, nice touches.
Well, it came about that I accidently typed in "Hooper" instead of "Hopper" and that was just kinda giggly funny to me, so I did that joke around it. XD

Ed said:
The scene in the hotel was a bit funny, good to have it added in there.
That came about, because in MFS, I...I honestly have to turn away, or put the TV on mute when that scene comes up, with Piggy just....I don't know starts squealing or this painful sigh come out when the TV cameras turn on in that studio. I just saw that as this scene that is just screaming "Miss Piggy is stupid and can't take cameras, she has stage fright." Usually that would make sense.

But after nearly...what you could probably assume a good chunk of time spent on stage in front of cameras, for TMS and the various other shows they do? She'd DEFINATELY be used to cameras from that.

So it was my kick in the back for that scene.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh... Don't worry about tying it in, just giving a bit of razz over it... But is sokay, s'okay?
Just run with the story, it's coming along great so far... And thanks for the insight bits.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Lots of unpleasantness coming up. The ever-so-slimy Doc Hopper is still after Kermit, and he's not above getting rid of other frogs to do so...and Eli is once again after Scooter (you really start to hate Eli after a bit).

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Whoa.....Hopper! Oh my gosh! And Eli oh wow! This is amazing! I too loved the Hooper/Hopper gag, that was very clever! And darn that Hopper for ruining those poor girls swamp! Thank goodness they've found Kermit and friends! :smile:

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Five

"Why don't we go and visit your swamp, Beth? Maybe we can figure out exactly what's happened there..." Kermit pondered aloud, smiling down at the two frogs. Beth's expression went from sadness to astonishment.

"You...You don't believe me!" She yelled, backing up a little bit. "You're just like every other frog I...I talked to. They NEVER believed me!"

"It's not that bad, I do believe you Beth. I..I'm just really suprised that Hopper is still alive after all these years." He looked down at his hands, and frowned deeply. Robin walked over to his uncle and gave him a hug. "Thanks. We need to figure out what's going on with him. Why has he come back with such a vengence?"

Kermit looked at Sara, and sighed softly. "You said your swamp wasn't...too far away from mine, right?"

Sara simply nodded, her arms around her big sister's arm, hugging tightly. Kermit went softly pale, a much lighter green. He had a feeling he knew what the old codger was aiming for.

His family.

------------------

Doc was standing on the old rickety dock, overlooking Leland's biggest swamp, Starry Bay. He chuckled, as he saw the men setting out traps, and nets. He was going to get 'em all.

"Uh....Doc?" Max asked, sitting on top of one of the now-empty crates, going over the numbers on his laptop. "Don't you think this is a little over the top? If you want Kermit's attention, you should just capture a few of the frogs, maybe find out where his family is, then just hold them hostage. Only threaten the others with capture, but not...actually....do...it." His speaking slowed down, as he saw Mr. Eli glaring at Max from beside Doc Hopper. Max blinked a few times, and figured it was the bright Florida sun that was baking his brain.

He swore Eli wasn't there a second ago. But he just shook his head, as Doc walked over to him. He clamped a hand on Max's shoulder and he smiled.

"Now there, Max. See what I've been tellin' ya for years!? You're thinking tiny, small, insignificant! Ya need to think big, and large! If this don't get that frogs attention, I don't know what will!!" He exclaimed, quite happy with himself over the plan he had devised. Eli merely frowned, and sat on another crate, his ever-present cigarette smoldering away.

"I'd rather be back in Manhattan....this place reeks of slime and wildlife.." Eli mumbled, as he pulled out a small phone, tapping a few keys on it. It rang on the other end, and he smiled devilishly. "Hello, Jerry." He laughed softly, continuing his one-sided conversation. "I expect the money by tommorrow, Grosse. Or I will have your nephew. Ah, pleading will not help this case. Money or the nephew, understood? Good. See you in a few weeks, when I get back from this...accursed place. What? I'm in Florida, in some backwater swamp. Another client, if you will. Right, right. The money, by tommorrow 5pm." He shut the phone, and turned his attention back to the two incompentents that had gotten a loan from him.

"Well, now. Who was that you were talking to Mr. Eli?" Doc inquired, curious about this man. He wanted to know more about him, his mind boggled at how he felt like this man was otherworldly, strange and untouchable.

"It was another client of mine, Hopper. Keep your nose to the grindstone, or I'll put it there for you!" The end of the sentence was in a snarl, as he stood up, then walked over to a tree. He quickly lit up into the branches, and settled into a large overhanging branch, watching the chaos of the men unloading equipment and supplies in and around the swamp.

Max shivered when he saw Eli moving about. That man's presense just drove chills down his spine in the weirdest way. He decided he'd go and check up on some of their frog prisoners. He stopped when he saw the large cage, holding about 20 or so frogs. He saw most of the male frogs, those that didn't have a mate, were milling around a corner speaking amongst themselves, they were worried but didn't show it. Then there was the married couples, they clung together, especially the younger newer couples, they were scared. Some of them had tadpoles, or eggs, and they were scared for their children's safety. Then there was two couples of frogs that caught Max's attention the most. Two couples, one was younger then the other. Sitting against the far most edge of the cage, the part that was not underwater, sat Annette Bullfrog, and her husband, Don Bullfrog. Beside them sat the older couple of James and Jane the Frog.

"You're a terrible man, Mr. Max!" The younger female frog spat on his shoes as he walked closer. Max ignored it and kneeled down into the soft murky mud beside them.

"I'm not terrible...I'm just following my uncle's orders that's all." He frowned a little, as he saw the older female seeming to agree with him.

"Although what you're doing is dispisable, I understand that you're following him." She said softly, looking straight at him. "But perhaps you should follow what you believe, you know."

Max looked down for a moment...he never expected the frogs to be wise like she was. He felt a small slippery hand grab his sleeve and yank him towards the cage. Suddenly he was looking up into the face of a very angry male bullfrog. His color was a deep dark forest green with dark yellow spots on his back, his eyes were clear, and were focused strongly on Max now. The frog was easily the size of his chest, and could pose quite a problem if he wasn't careful.

"Where are our little girls?" He said softly, glaring into Max's face.

"D-Don't frogs have lots of children?? Er...tadpoles??" He asked, he was wondering why the bullfrog just said 'little girls' usually frogs have more then just a few children. But he shook his head softly, and listened to the female frog beside him.

She was a beautiful green color, she almost looked like the older female frog. She had no hair, and she wore thick rimmed glasses. Max wondered how a frog could wear glasses, but he didn't let him bother him long. She looked like she was on the verge of tears already.

"Our swamp is near this....fun park, or something....the girls have seen it, but I haven't. When the two of them were just eggs, amongst their siblings underneath the leaf where they hung...something...cousin Kermit called it a 'chemical'. It attacked the eggs, many died then, and only the two of them survived even past tadpole age." She sniffled softly, as the bullfrog wrapped his arm around her, and she started to sob. She glared at Max. "Because of you, our daughters fled the swamp, looking for others to bring help...but...knowing what you do, you've probably already gotten the whole marshland captured now!!"

Max sighed, he wasn't sure what to tell them. He knew it was bad that because of them two little girls were now lost. With all the other frogs, even though they were captured, they at least had their family with them.

-----------------

"Let's get to the swamp guys!" Kermit shouted happily, standing like a general in Scooter's jeep. Piggy, Scooter, Gonzo, Kermit, Fozzie, and the two little frogs were going down to the swamp to see what was going on with Hopper now.

Scooter just laughed, and cranked the engine up as he barreled down the highway, going towards the swamp. Piggy had tagged along, because she knew if it was Hopper again, she wouldn't want to leave his side. They were getting nearer to the swamp now, she'd fight tooth to nail to keep Kermit with her. She kept that in mind as dirt was being kicked up along the sides of the jeep, and she had a tight grip on her head scarve, her teeth gritted.

"This is for Kermie....and I will endure this. I am a strong pig...AHH!! WHAT'S THAT!?!?!" She yelled seeing Arnie the Aligator as they got deeper into the swamp. Kermit laughed softly, and saluted Arnie.

"Stop the jeep Scooter." Kermit said, tapping Scooter's shoulder.

"Right Chief!" He stopped it suddenly, nearly sending Piggy snout first into the backseat. Gonzo went flying out of the backseat and landed in a tree. He laughed as he slid down the tree's trunk, and did a backflip landing perfectly on the ground.

"That was awesome! We should do it again!!" He yelled, as he hopped back into the backseat. He was muddy and dirty and he was getting everyone around him absolutely groady.

"Shut up Bananabeak! Kermie's trying to talk to that aligator.." Piggy snapped at him. She turned her attention to the two of them.

"...so you said that all of the frogs in Crystal Springs...AND Starry Bay were captured!?" Kermit said, getting more and more worried by the moment about this. This was more then just hundreds of frogs on tiny crutches.

This was his family. And his friends. He was not going to take this sitting down on the lilypad.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... You go give 'em a piece of your mind Kermit.

Just hope he's not put into more danger than already present.

Oh... And the whole descript and conversation of the swamplands and the frogs with Max was very well-done.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Wowowowow. This is just amazing. It gave me chills when you're like Kermit was not going to take this sitting down on the lilly pad. And the whole family thing, it's just so powerful! You've done it again Sara! You're painting such a lovely picture it's so great!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Six

James set to pacing a little bit in that small cage, sighing. He knew they were after his son again, and he just simply wished that he would stay away. He wanted to be free, but he would sacrifice himself to save his son, or for that matter, any of his children. In the plastic-bottomed cage, he leaned against his cane, looking out over the swamps. They were his home, and even though he was merely a simply hop away, he missed them. He knew this might be the last time he saw his old hopping grounds.

"James....Kermit will come, I know it." Jane said, wrapping one of her arms around her elderly husband. He sighed and tilted his head over towards her.

"That's what I'm afraid of...." He said softly, looking at his wife with tired eyes. "He's told me what that Hopper fellow had done to him, or tried to do. I wouldn't want to put my boy in that kind of danger again."

It was Jane's turn to sigh then. She didn't know what to think lately. They had been in that cage for nearly 4 days by then. Or was it a week? She'd already lost track of time it had seemed. She worried over her friends, and their children, as well as her own children. But she never let it show. She had to be strong for everyone. She was Great-Grandmother, and Grandma. And she especially was...

"MOM!" Kermit shouted over the roar of the jeep. His eyes were boggling when he saw his mother and his father in the cage with his family, and seemingly everyone else from Starry Bay Swamp. He hopped over the lilypads and the logs, with Sara and Beth not too far behind him, Sara kept slipping on the logs and Beth just grabbed her and kept on going. "Mom...Dad....are you alright!? This is Hopper's doing isn't it??"

James frowned, and nodded his head. Annette's attention was on the van. Piggy was slowly getting out of it, after having put on knee-heighth rubber boots, while wearing black pants underneath them. She did not want to get dirty, but she hurried over to Kermit's side. Fozzie and Gonzo followed Piggy, not caring about the muck and the mud. Scooter had stayed in the jeep, he had figured they might need a quick getaway.

What was drawing Annette's attention, was the blackened figure behind the jeep. A black hand wrapped around Scooter's mouth and neck, and dragged him away from the still-running jeep. No one noticed it at all, it was so silent and quick. Annette opened her mouth to yell, but nothing seemed to come out, she was terrified for the boy. But her gaze settled downwards hearing no struggling, and she saw her children.

"Mom..." Beth whispered, getting as close the cage as she dared. Sara was wriggling through her hands, and squeezed through one of the holes in the fences mesh, and hopped over to Don. She clambered up into his arms. Such a tiny frog in a huge bullfrogs arms.

"Daddy!! Momma!!" Sara squealed, she was happy to be with them again. Beth was too large to do what she had done, so Annette reached through the cage, and gave her the best hug she could give her.

"..We thought you were dead...we did what Dad taught us too....we found help." Beth stated, smiling softly. Annette's smile turned to a soft frown.

"Tell Kermit that his friend, the orange thing....he was just captured a few minutes ago! Something black took him!! I saw it, but I was too scared to make a noise about it." She whispered quickly to Beth, who hopped off to tell Kermit.

It didn't look like she'd be able to talk to him soon though. He was arguing with Max and Doc Hopper was coming in close, towards him.

Kermit glared at Max, and frowned. "I can't believe you, Max. You had...you had said you would leave him!" He was furious with Max. His temper was past the calm eye of the storm now. He now realized just how Piggy could get so angry so quick. Max flinched, when he felt Hopper's hand light on his shoulder.

"Now, now Max. You just tell Mr. the Frog here, why you chose to stay with me after all??" He said, a malicious smile playing across his old fat face. Eli was gone for the moment, but no one paid attention to it.

"I..I stayed...because he's family..." He stammered, he didn't want to be put out like last time. He was penniless and broke, and he hated staying with that terror of a man.

"What else, Max? Tell Kermit everything, he'd like to hear it, I think." Hopper slapped Max on the back happily, smirking widely.

"..and because I support him in his cause to make Hopper's stores the most popular in the entire US." He said that last sentence so deadpan, and toneless, that if it wern't for Doc Hopper being so thickheaded, and deaf in one ear...old Hopper would have realized that Max didn't care a lick about what happens to those stores, and that he wanted out of there.

Kermit just fumed, watching Hopper laugh loudly, he had figured he had Kermit where he wanted him. About to be caught, and made into a green frogburger.

----------------

Scooter's vision was double, and he smelled slime, and mud; and he felt murky, thick water lapping at his feet. He looked around dazed, then sighed. Nothing was near him, so he stepped off of the rock he was on.

But it ended up, he couldn't. He was stuck tight to that tree, in a mummy position, wrapped up to his neck and down to his ankles in thick dripping wet vines. He could smell blood, and he looked around. Then he realized it was his own blood he smelled. As if it all came back to him, he remembered. The thing that caught him, clocked him over the head with a rock to get him to shut up, and quit yelling. His head was throbbing so badly, that his double vision wasn't going away.

He felt like puking right then, with his oncoming vertigo, and double vision it was becoming a daunting task to stay coherent and consious. He heard the shouting about 10 yards away from him, he started to shout, but something in his throat prevented him from speaking. So, he did what came to him, he closed his eyes, and just tried to sleep. Perhaps he could build up some energy and attempt escape later that evening.