Fanfiction: The Fraggle From Outer Space

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Dear Nephew Gobo,
I trust that Goldie has arrived safely to Fraggle Rock by now and that she had no problems finding it. I don’t see why she would, since the directions I had given her were incredibly simple. Why, I’d be so bold as to say they were absolutely foolproof. I’d love to write more, but I find myself in a bit of a rush today. So I’ll write you more when I once again have settled down. Say hello to Goldie for me when you meet her.
Love,
Your Uncle Traveling Matt

The Fraggle From Outer Space
Chapter 3

“Love, Your Uncle Traveling Matt,” Gobo finished reading aloud.

After the bewildered fraggles finished acquainting themselves with the strange newcomer from Outer Space, Gobo had proceeded to read aloud the latest postcard from his uncle. Goldie rolled her eyes with every other sentence he read.

“Let me tell you something, Gobo. Your uncle’s either a moron or a liar.”

Red started to giggle, although she was trying to restrain it. Gobo glared at Red, who didn’t stop laughing, and then he looked again to Goldie.

“He’s not either! He’s one of the best explorers there ever was, if not THE best!”

“Gobo, the directions he gave me were just about impossible to follow. Half the time I was just trying to figure out what the heck he was trying to describe. I’m amazed he even knew what an address was, let alone be able to give it to me. After a while I gave up trying to decipher his directions and just looked up the address.”

Red couldn’t stand it any longer. The more she heard, the more she struggled. Finally she exploded into a fit of hysterical laughter. The other four fraggles looked at her in confusion. After a good long moment of laughter, Red finally stopped and tried to catch her breath.

“Finally, a fraggle who agrees with me! You’re gonna do just fine here, Goldie. Just stick with me, and you’ll have nothing to worry about.”

“Uh, thanks, Red.”

Mokey stepped up, hands clasped together as she bounced with excitement.

“Oh, Goldie. You simply MUST tell us about Outer Space.”
Wembley bounced in next to Mokey.

“Yeah, tell us about Outer Space, Goldie! And the Silly Creatures, too! And the hairy monsters, and the shiny creatures, and the giant fraggle ponds!”

“The what?” Goldie blinked in confusion.

“Hang on a minute!” Gobo jumped in, “She only just got here. I think we should get on with the party first. Don’t you think?”

“Yeah!” Red agreed, “Let’s party!”

“Party time!”

“Hip Hip Hooray!”

“Hip Hip Hooray!”

Goldie watched in amazement as dozens of fraggles appeared from seemingly nowhere to join in the celebration.

(Fraggles)
Hey!
Hip Hip Hooray!
We’re gonna dance and sing all day!
So come on in. Let the fun begin,
Cuz now it’s time to play.

Hip Hip Hooree!
We’re gonna sing for you and me!
We’re glad you’re here. Let’s give a cheer.
And have a jamboree.

Hip Hip Haroo!
We’re gonna sing for me and you!
We’re having fun. This song is done.
So on to something new.

Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!

Goldie stood there and watched as the seemingly choreographed performance played itself out. As the other fraggles continued singing in the background, Mokey stepped away from the crowd and approached the bewildered Goldie.

“Well, what’s the matter, Goldie?”

“You guys did all this just for me?”

“Oh yes. We just want you to feel welcome. Don’t you like it?”

“Well, yes, but--”

“Good,” Red popped up seemingly out of nowhere. “Let’s show you to your room so you can put your stuff down. Follow me.”

As Red and Mokey began to walk off, Goldie took one last look at the party decorations and followed them off.

“So I get my own room?”

“Sure you do,” Red answered, “And best of all, it’s right next to ours. So if you need us for anything, we’re right there.”

“Cool.”

Mokey looked back at Goldie, puzzled by the word she chose.

“Well no, it’s pretty warm actually. But if you want it cooled down, I’m sure we can think of something.”

“Uh, no. It’s just an expression.”

Mokey then slowed down and walked with Goldie, fascinated by this new knowledge.

“Ooh, an expression from Outer Space?”

“Um, yeah. The humans say it to describe something they like.”

“Humans?”

“Uh, I think you call them ‘silly creatures’?”

“Oh! Of course! It’s a silly creature term. Oh, you have to tell us more about the silly creatures.”

Red rolled her eyes at her best friend’s apparent infatuation with this new information.

“Mokey, please.”

“What? I think it’s fascinating. She could teach us so much about Outer Space that even Uncle Matt hasn’t seen yet.”

“Who cares? We’re here.”

The three stopped at the entrance to a small nook in the rock, just big enough for one fraggle to make herself at home. Goldie stepped into the hole and down a small set of steps into this small, but spacious hole, looking around at the empty hole. The room had windows on two of the walls. There was one beside the door and one large one on the sidewall looking out to the Great Hall. There were also two large rocks in the room: one large rock beside the larger window, big enough for a fraggle to lie on, and a much larger one in the center of the room that could easily serve as a table.

“So whaddaya think?” asked Red.

Goldie turned to the other two and put her suitcase and the paper bag of rock soap down on the rock table.

“I think I’m gonna like it here.”

“That’s wonderful,” Mokey replied as she stepped in with Goldie, “Now we have to take you to see the Trash Heap.”

“Say what?”

The very idea of it threw her for a loop. A trash heap? They wanted to take her to see a heap of trash? Why, she thought?

“Yeah, that’s right,” Red added, as if reminded of something important. “We promised Madame Trash Heap we’d introduce you to her when you got here.”

Now she was really confused.

“Madame..... Trash Heap?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------​

“Hey, come on, Boober! You can’t stay in there forever, eh!”

“Yeah, Boober, Gobo’s right!”

The entrance to Boober’s room was blocked by a large sheet that Boober had pinned on all sides to the rock. Boober wanted to make sure nobody could get in. The window was equally blocked so no one could look inside either. Gobo and Wembley were right outside trying to reason with the cowering fraggle inside.

“Oh, yes I can!” Boober yelled back from inside.

“Okay, so maybe he can...”

“Wembley.”

“Sorry, Gobo.”

“Boober, you’re being irrational! What are you so afraid of?”

“What else, Gobo? Germs! Horrible, yucky, disgusting germs from Outer Space! And now that Goldie’s here, my only hope is to quarantine myself from the rest of the Rock so I don’t get infected!”

“You know, he’s right, Gobo. Those germs can be really sneaky.”

“Wembley, you’re not helping.”

“Sorry, Gobo.”

“I don’t care what anyone says!” Boober continued, “I’m not coming out, and that’s that!”

“You know what, Boober? Fine! Stay in there! It’s your loss!”

“Fine! I will!”

“Well fine!”

“Fine!”

Exasperated, Gobo marched away to go about his business. Wembley, now confused by the outcome of the argument, looked back and forth between the blocked doorway and the angry marching fraggle. After a few seconds, he decided to follow Gobo.

“Uh, hey, Gobo! Wait for me!”

“So let me get this straight,” Goldie said as the three of them made their way up a tunnel that stopped at an opening to the outside. “You go out and seek advice and wisdom... from a giant pile of trash?”

“That’s right,” Red answered as they stopped at the exit of the tunnel. “Whenever we have a problem, the Trash Heap always has the answers.”

Red peeked out of the hole and looked around outside. Then she stepped out.

“Okay, the coast is clear.”

Goldie and Mokey followed her out of the hole and began walking along the huge wall of stone.

“Clear of what?”

“Gorgs.”

“Gorgs?”

“Stick around long enough, you’ll see one eventually.”

“Well,” Mokey added, “At least there aren’t any outside the castle right now.”

“Which is weird, because usually we’d see at least Junior Gorg by now.”

Goldie blinked in confusion.

“Castle? What castle?”

They walked past a gap in the wall that revealed the vegetable garden and castle beyond the wall. Goldie could hardly believe her eyes. It was enormous. Bigger than any skyscraper she’d ever seen. Red stepped back and nudged Goldie.

“That castle.”

They continued on their way, past the gap to the far end of the garden. The three stopped in front of a gigantic pile of trash.

“Madame Trash Heap,” Mokey greeted, “Goldie’s here. We brought her here to see you.”

Goldie watched as Mokey spoke to the large and motionless trash heap. She was beginning to think that maybe coming to this strange place wasn’t such a good idea. Then she heard a small and grungy voice speaking from inside the pile.

“Greetin’s and salutations.”

Then another.

“You are in the presence of...”

“The all-knowing...”

“The all-seeing...”

Then both the voices said together as two strange rat-looking creatures popped up into view:

“Trash Heap! Nyeh!”

Goldie blinked at the two rodent-like creatures. And then glared at Red and Mokey.

“Why did they bring me here?” she thought to herself.

Then one of the rodent things started tapping at the pile they sat on.

“Hey, Marjory, wake up! We got company!”

Goldie was just thinking how stupid this all was when the pile suddenly began to rise. She watched as a face and a pair of hands appeared in the seemingly lifeless trash heap. Imagine her shock when the thing started talking.

“Oh! The new fraggle! How wonderful! You can’t imagine how excited I’ve am to meet you. Oh, don’t just stand there pointing at me with your mouth hanging open, child! Speak to me!”

But she couldn’t speak. She stood there, pointing and gawking at the talking mound of garbage.

“Ah.... Ah.... Ah....”

“Look at that, Marjory. She’s speechless.”

“She acts like she’s never seen a trash heap before.”

Red and Mokey couldn’t help but stare at the stunned fraggle standing between them.

“Goldie, what’s the matter with you?” asked Red.

“Aren’t you going to say ‘hi’ to Madame Trash Heap?” Mokey added.

“Ah.... Trash? Talking? T-t-talking trash? Speaking? With the words? And the speaking? And the moving?”

“Mokey, she’s cracked!”

“Oh my goodness! What do we do?”

“I’ve got just the thing,” replied the Trash Heap. “Philo? Gunge?”

“On it, Marjory!”

The two both climbed down from her mountainous form and over behind Goldie while she continued gawking and rambling.

“Stand back. Ready?”

“Go!”

Together they bit down on Goldie’s tail, snapping her out of her daze.

“OW! Hey!”

“Peh! You’re welcome.”

Goldie grabbed her tail and massaged her new wounds, and the two rodents spat as they climbed back up on their perches on the Trash Heap’s “shoulders”.

“Now,” Madame Trash Heap began, “Let’s try this again. Hello, little fraggle.”

“Uh... Hi, Madame Trash Heap.”

“There, now. Was that so difficult?”

“I... I’m sorry. I’ve just never seen a talking trash heap before.”

“Well, there’s a first time for everything, isn’t there? You come from the world beyond Fraggle Rock, do you not? The world Matt Fraggle is currently exploring.”

“Yes.”

“Well, let me tell you, little fraggle. You ain’t seen nothing yet. This world is very different from the one you came from. In that world, magic is not believed to exist. You will discover many, many things here that would not make sense in that world. If you are to survive in the world of the fraggles, you must learn to expect the unexpected.”

“Like the fact that I’m talking to a pile of garbage?”

“Hey, Marjory ain’t no ordinary pile of garbage,” The one called Philo objected.

“She is the dispenser of cosmic wisdom,” Gunge added.

“Boys, boys. Settle down. Yes, young fraggle. Just like you said. You’ll see a great many things just as surprising.”

“After seeing something like this, I don’t think anything will shock me.”

“We’ll just see. Just remember what I told you. Just when you think you’ve seen everything, you’ll see something completely new. Expect the unexpected. That is my advice to you.”

“The Trash Heap has spoken! Nyeh!”

The three fraggles thanked the Trash Heap and went on their way back. Philo and Gunge watched intently as the strange new fraggle walked away.

“That fraggle’s a real piece of work, ain’t she?” Philo asked as he dove into the garbage below him.

Gunge nodded.

“Yeah, no kiddin’. Hey, Marjory. How is it you know so much about that other world, huh?”

“As has been said many times before, Gungy. The Trash Heap knows all.”

Philo then popped back up into view.

“Yeah, well. It doesn’t hurt that Traveling Matt Fraggle left us a few of these the last time he was here.”

He laughed as he pulled out a torn and moldy issue of Reader’s Digest. The Trash Heap couldn’t help but laugh with him.

“Oh, ho ho. How right you are, Philo. How right you are.”

“Hey, Goldie. What did Madame Heap mean when she said magic doesn’t exist in Outer Space?”

The three of them were walking away from the Trash Heap and back towards the hole to Fraggle Rock.

“Exactly what she said. Where I come from, there is no magic, animals don’t sing, and trash doesn’t talk.”

“That’s awful,” Mokey replied, “Where did you go when you needed to seek wisdom?”

“I got it from my family. They gave me all the support I ever needed.”

Red and Mokey looked at each other in confusion. Then Red turned her gaze to Goldie.

“So why didn’t they come with you to Fraggle Rock?”

Goldie was about to answer the question when her thoughts were interrupted by a loud thumping noise that shook the ground. Then there was another, and another. And then a loud voice called out to them:

“Fwaggles!”

“It’s a gorg!” Mokey yelled, “Run!”

As Red and Mokey ran straight to the hole, Goldie made the mistake of looking up at the creature calling to them.

It was the hairiest, ugliest, most gigantic creature she’d ever seen in her life: a giant, at least twenty feet tall, with long brown hair all over its body, big googly eyes, tan shirt, and dark brown shoes. Watching the gorg as it started to run right towards her, Goldie stayed where she stood, completely unable to move.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Song Credits:
- Hip, Hip, Hooray—From the episode “Beginnings”, lyrics slightly modified

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pork

Reaction score
Now, I'm wondering when the next chapter will be ready. I'm really looking forward to it.

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Now, I'm wondering when the next chapter will be ready. I'm really looking forward to it.
Don't worry. The next chapter's already up on fanfic.net, so you'll be sure to see some more fraggley goodness up here on Monday. :wink:

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Wow! Chapters 2 and 3 of this story were really great! Love how Goldie is just getting into the aspect of Fraggle Rock, with all of the weird things that go around the setting.

Did we ever disclose how she ended up in Outer Space in the first place? Or is that something that'll be revealed in the upcoming chapters?

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Wow! Chapters 2 and 3 of this story were really great! Love how Goldie is just getting into the aspect of Fraggle Rock, with all of the weird things that go around the setting.

Did we ever disclose how she ended up in Outer Space in the first place? Or is that something that'll be revealed in the upcoming chapters?
I intend to reveal that in a later chapter. :wink:
I just need to work out the little kinks as to how it happened.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Wonderful! I loved her reaction to the Trash Heap! It was hilarious! Looking forward to reading more!

dwmckim

Reaction score
I don't usually reply to fan fiction posts but i had to give you some real high marks here.

No offense made to anyone else here who posts fan fiction, but i've never been one to get into it that much (not just Muppet/Henson but any fan fiction in general). I'd much rather read stuff that comes from either the official writers (or at least people that have been hired to write official books and such based on the area of fandom.) To me at least, most comes off as very good for what it's supposed to be...*fan fiction*...but just not something that comes off as something real or anything more beyond that. (Again, this is addressing fan fiction across the board, not just this forum).

But you truly have a very special gift. This actually seemed like it could very well be from an official writer - be it a prospectus for an actual Fraggle episode, special, or movie or official book. Not only could i easily see it being produced but you also have taken the extra steps of making it a worthwhile read for both longtime fans or newbies, plus it reads well as both a narrative story and as a "script" for broadcast.

I don't give high praise like this unless its truly earned so you can be sure that you've done a really extraordinary job so far. I don't know what your goals are in terms of your writing - if it's a hobby, for fun, or more...but i think if you really wanted to, you could actually have a future as a writer for Henson.