Fanfiction: The Fraggle From Outer Space

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks, dwmckim! :smile:
That really means a lot.
Really, I'm using my fanfiction to give me a bit of practice before I delve into a real novel of my own.
And it's really REALLY nice to know I'm on the right track. ^_^

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Chapter 4

:smirk::excited::coy:
The Fraggle From Outer Space

Chapter 4

Goldie stood in frozen in panic as Junior Gorg eagerly ran towards her.

“I’ll get you, you pesky widdul fwaggle!"

She could only watch as the gorg jumped down to the ground and wrapped his huge hairy hand around Goldie, lifting her from where she stood.

“Hahaha! I got you now!"

The quivering, whimpering fraggle was beginning to see her life flashing before her now-watering eyes. After a long hard moment staring into the eyes of certain doom, she couldn’t help but start bawling like a baby.

This confused Junior, because he’d never seen a fraggle cry before. He tipped his head, watching the tiny creature crying its eyes out.

“Hey...” he said in a softer tone, “H-h-hey c’mon. Don’t cwy.”

“Juuuuuniooor!" Another gorg sing-songed from inside the castle.

“Ohhh," Junior groaned and turned his head around, “Yeah, Ma!"

“I hope you’re getting those rutabagas I asked you for.”

“Ugh! Yes, Ma! I’m getting dem.”

“Junior!" a third voice bellowed from inside the castle, this one loud and gritty. “You’d better not be out there catching fraggles again!"

“No, Pa!"

“Then hurry up an’ git yer mother those rutabagas!"

“Yes, Pa!"

He turned his gaze back to the horrified fraggle in his fist, still crying rather loudly. He also noticed that two other fraggles had climbed up on his hand to try and pry her free.

“What? Hey!"

“Let ‘er go, you big ugly gorg!" Red grunted as she pulled on Junior’s thumb.

“B-b-but--”

“Junior! Where are my rutabagas?"

“I’m coming, Mommy, but---”

“Grrr! Let go!"

“JUNIOR!"

“But, Pa! I--”

“AAAAAHHHH! I DON’T WANNA DIIIIIIIE!"

“Let ‘er go!"

“Alwight! Alwight! Alwight! I’ll wet you go! Just pwease stop making dat howible noise!"

Junior finally released his grip on Goldie and backed away. Red and Mokey wasted no time yanking Goldie away immediately afterward. The poor confused Junior was left scratching his head as the three fraggles disappeared back into the large rock from whence they came.

“And what was DAT aw about? Eh. Oh well. Bettuh get dose wutabagas for Ma.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Red, Mokey, and Goldie made it safely back into the rock, all three panting from the sprint. Goldie was still wide-eyed with shock. Red grabbed her by the shoulder and started shaking her.

“Hey, Goldie. Snap out of it.”

“There, there, Goldie," Mokey added, rubbing her shoulder, “The gorg’s gone. You’re safe now.”

Slowly, Goldie regained her composure, although she still couldn’t stop crying. Seeing a gorg like that was quite possibly the most horrible thing she’d ever experienced in her life. She looked to Red and Mokey, not really sure what to say.

“Are you alright?" Mokey asked.

“I... I think so.”

“What happened out there, Goldie?" Red asked. “Why didn’t you run from the gorg?"

“I don’t know. I just froze. Then when that thing had me in his big, nasty, hairy hand.... I just...”

Mokey stepped up and hugged Goldie as she started crying again.

“Shhh, there now, Goldie. It’s alright. It’s all over. Let’s get you back to your cave, okay?"

(Later)

“I cannot believe how bad she freaked out at the Trash Heap.”

After getting back from the gorgs’ garden, Red and Mokey had brought Goldie back to her room so she could rest for the evening.

Red was lying on her hammock, softly swinging left and right on it as she thought out loud. Mokey was busy watering her night-blooming yellow-leaved deathwort, who eagerly waited with its big toothy mouth wide open.

“There you go, Lanford," Mokey said, and then started singing to herself as she watered.

“And the way she froze with that gorg! I mean how hard is it to just run away? Gorgs aren’t that hard to get away from.”

“There, now. Isn’t that good?"

Lanford purred in response.

“Mokey, are you listening?"

“Oh, I’m sorry, Red.”

She put down her watering can and walked over to Red’s hammock.

“You really shouldn’t be so hard on Goldie. She’s lived in Outer Space her whole life, after all. She’s probably never seen a gorg before.”

“So?"

“Don’t you remember your first time seeing Junior Gorg coming at you?"

“No. It was a long time ago. I was too little to remember it.”

“Well, I remember my first encounter with him. I was so frightened, I couldn’t move. Just like Goldie was today. So you see, Red, it’s perfectly normal. She’ll probably feel better in the morning.”

“If she can sleep after all that. Her first day in Fraggle Rock and she gets caught by a gorg. I don’t think I could sleep after something like that.”

“Well, yes. There’s that too. I suppose that means we’ll just have to be extra accommodating so she feels extra welcome.”

Goldie stared at the rocky ceiling above her as she lay quietly on the futon she’d rolled out on one of the large rocks in the room. Her thoughts were keeping her awake.

“This place is so weird," she thought to herself, “Talking trash heaps, and tiny construction workers, and hairy giants? What’s next?"

She lifted her aching tail and held it in her hand for a moment, looking at the bite marks left by Philo and Gunge.

“Ugh, and those nasty little rat things LIVE in that trash heap. No wonder it hurts so much. It’s probably infected.”

She got up from her makeshift bed and walked over to her suitcase lying on the rock table. She took out her first aid kit and began work bandaging her tail, sitting on the hard rocky floor.

“This is really going to take some getting used to. I need to try not to be surprised at everything I see. The Trash Heap said to expect the unexpected.”

She got back up to put her first aid kit away when she noticed a picture frame sticking out from the various items she’d packed in her suitcase. She pulled it out and smiled at the photograph encased in it.

As she caressed the image of the two silly creatures in the photo, a strange feeling came over her. It was feeling she’d felt once before, when she first entered the Rock. The feeling that could only be satisfied with a song. She resisted it for a brief moment, but she quickly found that it was a futile effort.

* (Goldie)
Day after day, I must face a world of strangers
Where I don’t belong, I’m not that strong.
Its nice to know that there’s someone I can turn to
Who will always care. You’re always there.

When there’s no getting’ over that rainbow,
When my smallest of dreams wont come true,
I can take all the madness the world has to give,
But I wont last a day without you.

She held the frame close to her for a moment. Then she looked up and found a shelf hanging on the far wall. She walked up to it and stood her picture frame up at the center. As she continued singing she pulled other objects from her suitcase to place on the shelf.

So many times when the whole world seems to be
Without a friendly face, a lonely place.
It’s nice to know that you’ll be there if I need you,
And you’ll always smile. It’s all worthwhile.

As she finished singing, she sat down on the rock table and looked up at the shelf. She waited to see if there was any more to the song left. There wasn’t any, much to her relief. So she was able to take a moment to think of the family she left behind. She looked up and smiled.

“Grandma... Grandpa...” She said to the photograph on the shelf, “Don’t you worry about me. I’ll find a way to fit in here. I promise I won’t let you down.”

Her hand shifted on the rock and bumped into something. She looked back and noticed the paper bag sitting on the table beside her suitcase. She picked it up and sighed.

Gobo sat in his bed, which wasn’t much more than a hole in the rock wall, strumming on his two-stringed guitar. Wembley’s bed, the hole that was higher up and to the right of Gobo’s, was empty. Wembley wasn’t even in the room. Gobo wasn’t worried, though. He just strummed away.

Goldie appeared in the doorway just in time to hear Gobo finish his jam session.

“Wow, that’s really nice.”

“Well, thank you. It’s nothin’ special, really. Just a few chords to pass the time before bed.”

“Still, I still think it sounds really nice.”

“Thanks.”

He got up from his bed and put his guitar away.

“You don’t have to wait for an invitation, eh.”

“Huh?"

“Come on in. If you stay in the doorway, you’ll likely get plowed over by Wembley if he gets back from wherever it was he went. We’re all friends here, Goldie. If you wanna talk to us about something, just come on in and talk.”

“Oh, okay.”

She walked down the small stairway into the room. She looked around at the collage of postcards pinned to the cave wall. No doubt, she thought, all from his uncle, Traveling Matt.

“I heard about what happened in the Gorgs’ Garden. How are you holding up?"

She blushed, rather embarrassed of what happened. She began to wonder if everyone in the Rock knew about it.

“Um, yeah, I’m... I’m fine now.”

“That’s good. Hey, don’t worry about it. It happens to all of us when we first go out into the garden.”

“How can you go out there with those hairy mountains ready to attack?"

“Easy. The Trash Heap’s on the other side. And radishes. The gorgs are pretty easy to handle once you’ve been out there a few times. They may be big and scary, but they’re not very fast. You can usually get away by just running.”

“And if you can’t?"

“They’re not very smart, either. So if you get caught, you have to outsmart them. And usually, that’ll be pretty easy.”

“I see.”

“I hope that makes it a lot easier for you.”

“It does. Thanks.”

“Hey, no problem, eh. Say, what’s in the bag?"

Goldie looked at the paper bag in her hand.

“Oh, that. It belongs to that blue fraggle that ran away from me. I’m trying to find him so I can give it back to him.”

“Oh, you mean Boober. He’s barricaded himself in his cave. If you go around the corner out there and down the next tunnel, you should see it. It’s the one with the door and window blocked off with blankets. You can’t miss it. Good luck getting to him, though. He’s a pretty stubborn fraggle.”

“Thanks. I’ll remember that.”

She turned back around and started up the stairs again.

“And Goldie?"

“Yeah, Gobo?"

“If you see Wembley out there, let him know it’s getting late.”

She nodded and continued on her way out. After she left, Gobo climbed back into his bed, pulling the covers over himself as he made himself comfortable. He wondered if it was a good idea sending Goldie to Boober’s room, especially given Boober’s extreme fear of germs. And ontop of that, he wasn’t sure whether or not Goldie knew about it. After a moment or two of thinking about it, he shok his head and brushed it off.

“Bah, nothing’s gonna happen.”

“BooberBooberBooberBoober! PLEEEEEASE let me in!"

Wembley bounced outside of Boober’s room as he begged. Boober pulled a small section aside from the door and peeked out at the bouncing green fraggle.

“Well, you don’t look infected.”

“Uh, well, I don’t feel infected.”

Boober placed a hand on Wembley’s nose. To his relief, his temperature was normal. He backed up and unpinned a section of the blanket big enough to walk through.

“Okay, come in. We’ll both be safe.”

“Great!"

Wembley stepped inside and walked past Boober as he pinned the section of blanket back up.

“I knew you, of all fraggles, would understand the dangers we’re facing here, Wembley.”

“Yeah, well.”

“Who knows what hordes of horrible incurable diseases she could’ve carried in with her from Outer Space?"

“Well, yeah, Boober, but she seems like a really nice fraggle.”

“Oh, I have nothing against her, personally. I just don’t want to catch her germs.”

“But... But what if she doesn’t actually HAVE any?"

“Wembley, don’t be ridiculous! Of course she does!"

“But Gobo’s Uncle Matt’s been out in Outer Space a long time, and he hasn’t brought any germs back with him yet.”

“Yes, but he’s not here long enough for anyone to catch anything. I’m telling you, Wembley. My plan is foolproof. We stay here until she leaves Fraggle Rock. We’ll be safe from all her horrible foreign germs.”

Then there was a rustling noise coming from the window, followed by the thud of a heavy paper bag full of rocks hitting the floor. The two fraggles slowly approached the bag as loud footsteps could be heard outside, stomping away.

“Hey, there’s a note on it," Wembley pointed out.

Boober picked up the bag and read the note that was attached.

“Here are your stupid slippery rocks," he read aloud, “You’re welcome, you jerk. Signed, Goldie.”

“Gosh...”

“P.S. To Wembley, Gobo said to tell you it’s getting late.”

Boober let out a loud sigh and used his free hand to scratch his head. He was at a loss. He didn’t mean to hurt anyone. He realized right then that he had once again let his fear of germs get the better of him.

He opened the bag and took out one of the pieces of rock soap.

“Gee, Boober, I think you hurt her feelings.”

“Yeah... I think so, too.”

“So, uh..... I guess I’ll just go back to my place, then.”

“Yeah...”

Goldie stomped along down the tunnel, grumbling almost incoherently as she went. Anyone passing by could hear the words “stupid” and “jerk” among her grumblings.

She stomped into her room and paced around for a few moments, still grumbling to herself.

“That stupid jerk! Ugh! It’s making my fur friz just thinking about it! And why does my tail still hurt so much?"

After a while of further grumbling, she started to feel dizzy. She walked over and practically dropped all her weight onto the bed. For some reason, it felt especially good to be lying down. She was again staring at the ceiling, and again she would be unable to sleep. But this time it would be for a different reason.

“Stupid jerk. I’ll tell him off later. Oy, my head hurts.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Song Credits:
- I Won’t Last A Day Without You (cut version)—by The Carpenters

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Another fine chapter! I like the emotions you're pouring into Goldie's character. I'm anxious to see where this goes next!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Very well done. I have this feeling that Boober will get that chance to make up for his mistake of hurting Goldie's feelings. Interesting to see how you shift from one scene to the next. Liked the talk between her and Gobo. And Red and Mokey were perfect.

Just one little thing. Junior Gorg only pronounces r's as w's, his l's are said okay enough. Think of it as similar to Baby Bear from Sesame Street.
Other than that, I really like this story and hope more gets posted soonerish.

Pork

Reaction score
Thanks Gold Demona, another excelent chapter. I loved every bit of it.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
dwmckim said it best, G.D. This is like watching an actual episode from Fraggle Rock!:smirk: :excited: :coy:

Your writing is so well done that you make the Goldie character seem so realistic, especially after that scene with Boober. I kinda predicted that would happen as soon as Gobo told her to check up on him. Why must you be such a germaphobe, Boober Fraggle? LOL!

Glad that we got a little more insight to Goldie's background. The more we discover of her, the more I believe we'll understand how she got to living so long in "Outer Space".

And I love your choice of songs for the story. ^_~

Can't wait to read the next chapter.

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Chapter 5

The Fraggle From Outer Space
Chapter 5

The following morning, Red got up from her hammock with new ideas in her head, and she was determined to see these ideas through. She was on a mission.

She trotted over to Goldie’s room, and stepped through the doorway.

“Alright, Goldie. Yesterday just wasn’t your day, but today’s gonna be different.”

She made her way over beside her bed.

“Just you wait, Goldie. I guarantee you’re gonna do nothing but fun stuff today.”

There wasn’t much response from the mass beneath the blanket, except for a slight wheezing noise. Red put her hand up and shook her awake.

“Hey, Goldie. Wake up!”

“Ungh.... What?”

“Are you feeling alright? You sound awful.”

“I don’t feel good.”

Goldie let out a loud cough as she slowly rolled over and sat up on her bed, dropping the cover of her nice warm blanket onto her lap. Red noticed immediately a coat of bright red dots all over Goldie’s face.

“Oh boy.”

“‘Oh boy’, what?”

Red put her hand on Goldie’s face. She was hot to the touch.

“Yup, no doubt about it.”

“What? What is it?”

She gently pushed Goldie back down and pulled her blanket back over her.

“You just lay back down and stay right there. Go back to sleep if you want. I’ll be right back.”

And with that, she rushed out of the room, leaving Goldie dazed and confused, although the thought of going back to sleep sounded really good.

Gobo and Wembley were still asleep when Red came busting into the room.

“Hey, Gobo! Wake up!”

Gobo sat up as Red hopped right up to his bed.

“Hey, Red. What’s up?”

Wembley yawned as he turned around and peeked down from his bed.

“Yeah, what’s up, Red?”

“Goldie’s got the Pebble Pox.”

“The Pebble Pox?” Gobo replied, “This time of year?”

“I know. It’s weird, but there’s no mistaking it. She’s got the Pebble Pox, and she’s got it bad. I need to go get some duganberries from the Cave of Shadows, and I need your maps to get there.”

“Woah, hold up, Red. What’s the hurry? Weren’t you giving me a hard time about how I was when I got the Pebble Pox? What makes Goldie so different?”

“Gobo, I had a ton of fun stuff planned for Goldie to do today, but she can’t do it if she’s stuck in bed all day. So I have to get the duganberries so she can get better faster.”

“Red, if she’s sick today, wouldn’t it be better to wait until tomorrow? With or without the duganberries?”

“No, because Mokey plans to take her to see the Storyteller tomorrow. And who knows what else is gonna be planned for the day after that and the day after that. I need this done today, or I might never get the chance to show her a good time.”

“Alright, Red. Whatever you say. Hey, I’ll go with you, eh. Two fraggles are better than one.”

“Okay, whatever. Let’s just go.”

“Hold on a minute, Red,” Wembley interrupted, “Doesn’t Boober still have some duganberries leftover from the last Pebble Pox outbreak?”

“You’ve gotta be kidding me. Have you even SEEN the blockade Boober’s put up in his room? There’s no way I can get anything from him.”

“Well, yeah, but I’m sure Boober wouldn’t mind helping Goldie get better.”

“Wembley’s got a point, Red.”

“Gobo, I remember you telling me you couldn’t get Boober to even THINK about leaving his room. It’s obvious he’s scared of Goldie. Why do we need to bother trying again now?”

“Well, it wouldn’t hurt, would it?” Wembley asked.

“I don’t see the harm in trying,” Gobo agreed, “Wembley, how about you go talk to him while we get things ready here.”

“Okay.”

Wembley jumped down from his bed and ran out of the cave. Gobo got up from his own bed and went for his maps.

“I still think it’s a waste of time,” Red rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, but Wembley’s the only one who was actually able to get past Boober’s barricade. If anyone has a chance of convincing him, it’s Wembley.”

“I don’t know. Boober can be really stubborn when he wants to be. And Wembley doesn’t have a stubborn bone in his body.”

“Well, we’ll just have to wait and see, won’t we?”

“BooberBooberBooberBooberBooberBoober!”

Wembley called as he ran all the way to the doorway of Boober’s cave, which was still blocked off by blankets.

“BOOBERRRRR!”

Boober poked his head out through the side of the blanket.

“What is it, Wembley?”

“Pebble Pox!”

“That’s ridiculous, Wembley. The Pebble Pox isn’t expected to break out again for a long long time.”

“Well, then you should probably tell that to Goldie because she’s caught it.”

“Say what?”

“You heard me. Goldie has the Pebble Pox. Red wants her to get better today, so she and Gobo are gonna go to the Cave of Shadows to get some duganberries for her.”

“But that could take all day. They’ll never be able to get it in time that way.”

“I know. That’s why I came here. To see if you still had any from when we all had it last time.”

“Um... Let me check.”

“Okay.”

“Don’t go away.”

“Sure.”

Boober went back inside and paced around the room for a moment, though it wasn’t to do a search. He knew very well that he had plenty of leftover duganberries, but he also knew that it would mean leaving the safety of his cave. He mumbled to himself as he paced around, occasionally yanking at his hair and scratching his head.

“There you are, Goldie. This’ll help with your headache.”

Not long after Red had left Goldie alone, Mokey walked in with a mosspack in hand. At first glance, Goldie thought it looked like a pile of spinach-colored moss in an ice cream cone. Imagine her confusion when Mokey plopped this strange mossy stuff onto her head, cone and all. Surprisingly enough, Goldie found that it actually was helping with the headache, so she didn’t complain.

“Mokey, what is this?”

“Oh, it’s just the Pebble Pox. We all get it at some point in our lives. It’s funny how you managed to catch it on just your second day in Fraggle Rock. Especially since it’s not even the right time of year for Pebble Pox.”

Goldie was about to say something, but instead let out a long fit of coughing.

“Oh, but don’t you worry, Goldie. Any minute now, Red’ll be back with your medicine. You’ll see.”

“Aren’t you afraid of catching it?”

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about me. I’ve already had it. Now, is there anything else you need?”

“For this to go away?”

“Well, we’re working on that. Anything else?”

“Not really. I think I’m alright for now.”

“Good. You just sit back and relax, and we’ll take care of everything. Your fever’s still up pretty high, but I’ll be right here with you if you need anything.”

“Thanks, Mokey.”

“You are very welcome.”

Goldie went back to staring at the ceiling, although it was a little difficult keeping focus on any particular thing. She had to shut her eyes because the blurring image of the ceiling above her made her dizzy. After a while, she somehow managed to drift to sleep.

“Wembley’s sure taking a long time getting back.”

Red was impatiently waiting while Gobo triple-checked his equipment to make sure he had everything.

“He’s probably just making really sure whether or not Boober has the duganberries.”

“And since this is Wembley we’re talking about, it could take forever before he’s really sure about it. Why can’t we just go?”

“Red, if we go and Wembley’s actually able to get Boober to help, it’ll be a wasted trip.”

“Yeah, well...”

She was about to say something else when a fuzzy green blur hopped past the cave window and into the doorway.

“GoboGoboGoboGoboGobo! Boober said he’ll help! He has the duganberries, and he’s making the tea right now! You don’t have to go to the Cave of Shadows.”

“That’s great, Wembley!”

“Yeah, but he also said that even after drinking the tea, she should stay in bed the rest of the day to fully recover.”

“WHAT?”

Red’s tail flared up with rage. She started to run towards the doorway when Mokey stepped into it beside Wembley and stopped her.

“And WHERE are you going?”

“To go beat Boober senseless. Where is he?”

“He’s with Goldie right now. He told me he wanted to take care of it himself and to make sure nobody disturbed her while she rested.”

Gobo put his maps away and then walked up beside Red.

“Red, I know you had a fun day planned for Goldie today, but the fact is she needs to rest.”

“Yeah, I know,” she whined. “But I wanted to give her a great experience before she goes off to be bored to death by the Storyteller.”

“Well, that’s nice and all, Red, but unfortunately, it just can’t happen today.”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“There’ll be other days, Red,” Mokey said.

“Yeah, but after the day she had yesterday, it just figures she’d catch the Pebble Pox today.”

“Although, if you think about it, it’s actually kinda funny,” Wembley added.

The other three fraggles turned to Wembley, baffled by what he just said. He looked at the three of them and shrugged.

“What?”

Goldie woke up to the sound of liquid pouring into a cup. She looked over to find Boober turning to her with a cup of freshly brewed duganberry tea in his hand.

“What are YOU doing here?”

“Helping you get better,” he answered as he held the cup out for her. “Drink this.”

“What is it?”

“Duganberry tea. Duganberries are the only known cure for the Pebble Pox, and making it into a tea is the best way I know to take it.”

She sat up and slowly took the cup from him, keeping her gaze fixated on him. She didn’t take her eyes off him, even as she brought the cup to her lips and started drinking the hot tea. He took note of her sharp glare and let out a sigh.

“You have every right to be angry with me.”

“You’re darn right I do.”

She finished her tea and handed the cup back to Boober. She rolled over on her bed so her back was to him.

“I’m afraid of a lot of things,” he started nervously, “Obviously, one of them is my fear of germs. Sometimes... I let my fears get the better of me, and it can sometimes cloud my better judgment. I was so afraid that you would bring germs from Outer Space I just panicked. It never once occurred to me that you would catch anything from us. It seems so obvious now because you’ve never BEEN with other fraggles before. I feel really foolish now that I think about it.”

She didn’t respond or even move, but she didn’t stop listening. He walked up closer to her bed so he was sure she’d hear him.

“I know it wasn’t right for me to have said the things I said about you. Especially after the way you helped me when we first met. I won’t blame you if you don’t want to forgive me right now, but for what it’s worth... I’m sorry.”

Again, no response. He sighed again and backed away, slowly stepping over to the door.

“I don’t want you to think I’m not grateful for your help. I’ll leave the tea and the cup where you can reach it. Just stay in bed and rest until tomorrow. I’ll make sure nobody disturbs you until then. If the tea gets cold, just let me know.”

Goldie waited a moment, deciding whether or not to speak with him. Boober was almost at the door when she finally decided to turn back to him and say something.

“Boober?”

He stopped and turned his gaze to her.

“Yes?”

She hesitated, unsure of what she was gonna say, but now that she had his attention, she had to say something.

“...Thanks.”

He shook his head.

“No... Don’t thank me. It’s the least I can do for the way I treated you before.”

“All the same... Thank you.”