1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

FAO Schwartz: Muppet Whatnot Workshop coming October 22

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by TheCreatureWork, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I've been wondering that my self!

2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I thought about getting one for my collection, but I didn't think of the patterns! Good idea!

Actually, I alway suggest folks contact www.projectpuppet.com for their patterns. They're about as Muppety as anybody needs to get.

3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Those look so awesome! I like! I like what I see!:insatiable:

4. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Im going to NY on 29th Nov, so I will definetly be taking a look at these, although I am not sure yet if I will get one?

They do look like whatnots, but not any what not I recognise?

I hope you can buy extra eyes, noses and wigs to change it, rather than having just 1 puppet, afterall, a whatnot is a changeable puppet?

Chris

5. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I don't think you really understand the objective behind this... This is for people to create their own Whatnot characters. I don't think they're trying to make replicas of Whatnots we've seen over the years--even though I'm sure there are enough parts there to make one similar. I think they just want to encourage creativity in the Muppet brand. :)

6. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Yes I kinda get that, I guess its a bit like the Muppet Workshop products in the 90's trying to encourage creativity.

Cant wait to see them in FAO in 6 weeks.

Chris

7. LeanneFuller

LeanneFuller Active Member

I think it is a great idea, Shaun said we are going back to NYC soon I would love to make one

Leanne
    x

8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Which is a million times better than just having a recreation of a character. This puppet is a piece of you, making it unique. As long as they don't run out of pieces during your visit.

And I wouldn't know if these pieces are interchangeable or permanently affixed. But I;m sure that they'd sell a bag of extra pieces eventually (similar to Mr. Potatohead)

9. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

Dude... can't wait. I'm hoping to go when it opens this Wednesday. :)

10. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i cant wait! i wanna go opening day! lol:)

11. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Since I can usually make the kind of puppets I like to design anyway, I would like to try and make my whatnot look like me. I think that would be kind of fun. hopefully they have the right stuff to do that.

And I noticed one of the pictures had a tuxedo. Very cool. Classic Muppets.

12. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

It opens in a few days - I can't wait :D

13. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i can't wait! my parents are going to NYC a few days after it opens and they are gonna check it out! my birthday is coming up (kinda) and my mom said she might take me and one of my friends!:)

14. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

Wow, check out those seams. I don't think that's antrom fleece they're using. These are basically on the same level as Puppet productions christian style puppets; better eyes, that's about it.

15. MGov

MGov New Member

Hey, thanks for living up to my expectations.

16. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

im extremely excited for this release! when i grow up, i really wanna be a puppeteer and puppet maker, so this is really big for me considering i still dont have a decent puppet. the only one i have is one from when i was like 3 and you put your hand in at his neck and he had no arm rods so i had to add some and i didn wanna buy any so i used the rods for my little sister's mini tent. they work pretty good though.

17. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

Hey, if you like seams galore and really stubby looing hands, then fork over the $100! lol. I'll pass, thank you. These are a step above Hallmark spinner rack kiddie hand puppets. But that's what's it's there for, the kids; so I guess not bad. But not to be confused with a pro puppet.

18. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

BUT.....a nice training tool. Plus I imagine it will be a really nifty place to pick up some pre-made eyes + noses.....as well as clothes. AND eventually patterns when ppl start taking theirs apart. You gotta look at what you can scavenge.

But I think they will be really nice training tools for creativity (creating a character) and practicing basic puppeteering.

19. I think these puppets are a step up from a 'Hallmark spinner rack.' I'm not saying that any of these puppets live up to the standards of the real Muppets or the puppets built by almost any of our forum members. But there is something to be said about the achievement in Disney's merchandising attempts and the ease at which creativity could be inspired with this product. Truly, isn't that the point of any aspects to Jim's legacy? SIMPLE IS GOOD! Anbody remember that :confused: ?

Arguing aside :sleep: ... It's November 20 (the date it was reported the site would launch) and nothing's there! We need to wait until Wednesday? This is more dissappointing than a Sweedish Chef the audience could understand :hungry: !

20. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

its not november. its october. lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.