Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

mikebennidict

Reaction score
rememebr this silly one were 1st Bert get's an itch on his back and then Ernie get's 1, finally they decide to scratch each others back and then Ernie says everybody scratch and the show this film of animals scratching themselves. after the film is over, both E&B are still scratching each others back's. can't rememebr how it ended. i suppose Ernie did or said something at the end.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I dnt think I have a fav, BUT one that stick out im my mind the most at this moment is the one where Ernie is trying to get Ernistine to say ERNIE, and hes trying and trying, but nothing seems to work, then all of a sudden Bert comes in, and Ernie, frustrated says "Oh, hi Bert" and shes says "BERT!" :excited: :excited: :zany:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
remember this 1? Ernie holds up 3 pictures and asks Bert what happened here? 1st and empty bird cage. Bert says, the door was open and the bird flew out. 2nd picture the man slipped over the bannana pel. last 1, a blank piece of paper. Bert is mystified. Ernie says it's a picture of a cow eating grass. bert says he doesn't see the grass or cow. them Ernie says, well after she ate the grass she went home. bTW, i was once watching an episode of the current Zoom series and there was a similiar skit where 1 of the zoomers was playing this goofy painter and there were a few differnt skit where she was painting something wrong or something like that and once of them she also claims to have painted a cow eating grass and the same thing happened. thought in this 1 she says after the cow ate the graas, it went to find more grass. now for those who have seen the show know that most stuff is requested by the viewers. and my 1st impression was some kids must of known someone to have seen the SS skit and write it in. but i another message board somebody told me he thinks that it was a old joke that didn't originate on SS.interesting though.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I havent seen that many ernie and bert sketches, well can't remember all off hand but I like the one where they are at the movies and ernie cant see because a lady with a tall hat comes and sits infront of him. She takes it off after ernie asks her and puts it infront of bert.

I also like the one where Ernie starts singing that he doesnt mind what bert does because he is is friend when bert is trying to sleep. He doesnt mind bert being tired becasue he is is friend, lol.

Splurge

Reaction score
I think you'd be right about the blank picture being a cow eating grass is a joke that precedes Sesame Street. I think there were other early Sesame scenes indirectly based on jokes or fables.

The other that comes to mind is Ernie contemplating borrowing a vacuum cleaner from Herbert Birdsfoot - a very well remembered scene on this board. It was based on some fable I remembered my 6th grader mentioned in class in which, instead of a vacuum cleaner, the main character was going to ask for bread. I don't recall what he worried would happen if he did so, but that's not as important because the structure was the same.

But I digress... my favourite sketch with Ernie and Bert - did I mention the skit where Ernie cleans up the messy room in 15 seconds? Something about Bert being very grouchy in that clip... "Now cut that out with the ducky!"

:smile:

Splurge

Reaction score
Splurge said:
I think there were other early Sesame scenes indirectly based on jokes or fables.
Just thought of another joke, also used on the Honeymooners. Ernie has two pieces of apple pie, one very big and one very small. He gives the small one to Bert. The basic joke has usually gone:
"If I was in your place, I would have taken the small piece myself".
"Well what are you complaining for, it's right there!"
(Naturally, Ernie said it innocently and less mailiciously.)

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i decided to make up a spoof of a couple od E&B skits. after ernie eats 1 of Bert's 5 cookies and he realizes it. here's what happens at the end. Bert: i certainly don't want 4 cookies! ernie, i can fix it. bert: well then go ahead! E. ok. blah! ok it's no longer 4 cookies now. it's 5 again! > the other 1, after ernie realizes he can't count fire engines then counts ballons. after blowing up the balloon and you know what happens, the police and fire dept. gets called and after the fire dept finds out the source of the loud noise, they get the police to come upstairs and when they see the broken balloon on Bert's bed, he get's blamed for it and get's arrested. no guys it wasn't me Ernie was blowing the balloon, Cops yeah that's what they all say come on! Bert: Errrnieeeeeeeeeee! Ernieeeeeeeeeee!

Reaction score
I remember one in which Bert sneezed, and his nose fell off. Ernie had a bit of fun with Bert's nose until he put it in the correct spot. The sketch ended with Bert, with a worried look, saying "I think I'm going to sneeze again!".

DancingLauren

Reaction score
I always liked the songs the best... "Imagine That" or "Dance Ourselves to Sleep". Its getting hard for me to remember a lot of the great sketches, but I always loved those two.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Some of my favorites.

So many to choose from:

- Using the pot for a cowboy hat
- eating cookies in bed.
- counting sheep(and fire engines and baloons)
- Cleaning the apartment(the one where Ernie cleans up and then messes it up again by cleaning out the toy box).
- Dance Myself to Sleep
- Ernie describes his day at the park.
- Bert's nose on the statue
- Banana in the ear.
- counting fruit

I'm sure I'll remember more later.