Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

BWSmith

Reaction score
Greetings

Lots of great sketches mentioned on this thread. (Unfortunately, it's hard to remember most of the sketches apart from the ones that were re-released on video and SSU.)

There's one that I haven't seen for decades where Ernie wants to play tag while Bert is reading in a chair, and he spends the whole skit peeking from behind whispering "Bert's it" over and over as Bert gets increasingly angry. Bert eventually chases him and tags him, and sits back down, only to have Ernie tag him again...

There are some that I thought were kind of scary as a child:

1) Ernie pops off Bert's nose and puts it on the statue. It's a funny concept as an adult, but creepy to a child.

2) Ernie has the Count over to sleep and the Count counts sheep all night. Ernie wakes up and has bizarre insomniac eyes.

3) Any sketch where Bert ends up being dragged out of a movie theater because of something Ernie did was kind of unnerving. There was one where Ernie made a lot of noise, and there may have been more.

Censored

Reaction score
BWSmith said:
3) Any sketch where Bert ends up being dragged out of a movie theater because of something Ernie did was kind of unnerving. There was one where Ernie made a lot of noise, and there may have been more.

As far as I know, that only happened in one Ernie and Bert movie theatre sketch.

Here's what happened in some others:

Ernie can't see because a lady's enormous hat is in the way, after much aggravation towards Bert, he gets her to remove her hat, and put it on the seat right in front of Bert!

In another skit, Ernie can't control his emotions in the theatre and it results in a huge argument with everyone at the theatre. (Someone does threaten to have Bert thrown out, but we never know how it really resolves as the scene just fades amongst a lot of hollering).

My favorite theatre skit was the one that was half Ernie and Bert and half Maria as Charlie Chaplain. It begins with Ernie accidentally spilling buttered popcorn all over Bert. After that, the "movie" begins and we see Maria as Chaplain with Linda at a picnic with a fly bothering them. After the "movie" ends, Ernie asks, "Bert, what was your favorite part." Bert says it was the "fly scene". He then asks, "Ernie, what was your favorite part. Ernie replies, "My favorite part was when I spilled popcorn all over you." Bert says, "You disappoint me, Ernie." as he walks away. Ernie follows saying, "Well, you asked what my favorite part was, Bert." For some reason, I found that final dialogue to be particularly funny.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
I thought of a few more.

- Ernie and Bert are camping and Ernie notes all the different noises in the woods at night(owls, cricketts, etc). One funny line, when Ernie hears a frog croaking, he says to Bert "Does that remind you of anyone we know?"

- Ernie is wearing or holding something(I can't recall exactly) and Bert asks why he's doing that, and Ernie says "To keep the aligators(or some other dangerous animal) away". Bert tells him there are none on Sesame Street, and Ernie replies, "See, it's working already".

- Bert is giving his nephew a bath, and Ernie fills the tub with toys, so Bert can't give him the bath, so Ernie hops in, because he doesn't want to waste the water.

Splurge

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
- Ernie is wearing or holding something(I can't recall exactly) and Bert asks why he's doing that, and Ernie says "To keep the aligators(or some other dangerous animal) away". Bert tells him there are none on Sesame Street, and Ernie replies, "See, it's working already".
Aha! That's the 2nd part of the (Sesame Street) Banana Sketch! Bert gets through to Ernie this time that he has a banana in his ear, and now wants to know why. To keep the alligators away, etc, you get the idea.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
there was an actual episode in the late 70s where Bert is introducing brad to Bob and some of the other ss cast and at the end of the show, brad tries to say the names Bert and Bob. but when he says Bob, he points to Bert and when he says Bert he points to Bob. gets the 2 mixed up. also anyone rememebr this 1st season E&B skit were i think Bert says it's your turn to go to Mr. Hooper's store to get a newspaper and Ernie makes some kind of fuss about it. it's apparently a hot day so Ernie decides to go out shirtless, wears sunglasses, and takes sun tan lotion in spite the fact Hooper's store is a short distance. i don't rememebr the whole thing but towarfds the end Ernie wants Bert to go outside to see what the Weather is like and Ernie says while your there, referring to Hooper's store, get me a newspaper. Bert goes aaaahhhhh and chases Ernie.

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
also anyone rememebr this 1st season E&B skit were i think Bert says it's your turn to go to Mr. Hooper's store to get a newspaper and Ernie makes some kind of fuss about it. it's apparently a hot day so Ernie decides to go out shirtless, wears sunglasses, and takes sun tan lotion in spite the fact Hooper's store is a short distance. i don't rememebr the whole thing but towarfds the end Ernie wants Bert to go outside to see what the Weather is like and Ernie says while your there, referring to Hooper's store, get me a newspaper. Bert goes aaaahhhhh and chases Ernie.

Ah, you've just mentioned one of my all time favorite Ernie and Bert skits that hasn't been shown for years. Actually, it's Ernie's turn to go to the store to get the newspaper; naturally he doesn't want to do it, but Bert insists. Ernie starts getting out things that he would never need. He brings an umbrella even though there's not a cloud in the sky, a flashlight even though it's the middle of the day, etc. Finally, before he leaves, he asks Bert for some bubble gum. Why? In case he runs into a polar bear who wants to eat him. He'll give the polar bear a piece of bubble gum and the bear will be so busy chewing it, he won't be able to eat him. When Bert tells Ernie that they are out of bubble gum, Ernie says that he can't go to the store to get the paper. An exasperated Bert then agrees to go out and get Ernie some bubble gum. Ernie asks Bert where he plans to get it. Bert replies that he will probably go to Mr. Hooper's Store. Ernie then asks him to pick up a newspaper while he's there. Thus, leading to Bert's outrage and the chase.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i don't think this was posted but it was where Ernie wants to play football and bert would rather read and Ernie asks if your OK and Bert says he's fine but Ernie doesn't think so and exammines him like a doctor would. i love that part where Ernie listens to Bert's heartbeast and sings along with it and Bett says alright alright i'll come with you to play football but then Ernie claims he's not feeling well and doesn't want to play football. yeah like he's really sick.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
i don't think this was posted but it was where Ernie wants to play football and bert would rather read and Ernie asks if your OK and Bert says he's fine but Ernie doesn't think so and exammines him like a doctor would. i love that part where Ernie listens to Bert's heartbeast and sings along with it and Bett says alright alright i'll come with you to play football but then Ernie claims he's not feeling well and doesn't want to play football. yeah like he's really sick.
I seem to recall a different version of the sketch where Ernie gave Bert an examination, and at the end Bert asks if he's healthy. Ernie says he doesn't know yet. Bert asks when he'll know and Ernie tries to calculate how long before he can be a doctor(8 years of grade school+4 years of high school+etc) and he tells Bert he can tell him in 23 years(or something like that).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
well the 1 i'm talking about goes back to the 1st season and the 1 your talking about was a totally different skit and when Enie did listen to his heartbeatin this one,, he also sang to it.