Favorite Movie on MST3K

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep.
Tom: How much O'Keife is in this movie anyway?
Joel: Miles O'Keife.

Crow, upon seeing the John Newman credit: Hey, John Newman! We can use his spaghetti sauce on the Rosticellios.
Crow: This movie has a plot that even J.R.R. Tolkien couldn't folow.

That reminds me of a joke from Marooned, or is that movie called Space Madness?
Joel, upon seeing the Jack Fapp credit: Mmm, Fappjacks with maple syrup dripping down...
Crow, in Gregory Peck voice: We're in it now... Up to our necks.
But the best part was during the end credits...
Joel, while digitized music is playing: Watch the movie... Read the Bantham book... Buy the soundtrack avalalable in music stores everywhere... Or press the Demo button on any Casio keyboard.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
That reminds me of a joke from Marooned, or is that movie called Space Madness?
The correct title of the film is Marooned. It was released in 1969 by Columbia Pictures, and is the only movie shown on MST3K that won an Oscar, for Visual Effects.

What happened was, in the early 1980s, an ultra-low budget distribution company called Film Ventures International somehow got their hands on this film, and changed its title to Space Travelers. FVI specialized in aquiring films in the public domain, or that could be bought on the cheap. The company then released these films to TV and video.

In 1992, when the MST3K episode of Space Travelers was broadcast, it was still in limbo. Obviously, Best Brains were able to get the rights to the heavily cut Space Travelers (the film, under its original title, ran over two hours).

The MST3K episode probably won't be available commercially. Several years ago, Columbia got the rights back to the film, and it's now available on DVD in its original form, uncut, and with its original title, Marooned, restored.

I think it's even aired on Turner Classic Movies.

But it was a good ep., and certainly surprising to see a Gregory Peck/Gene Hackman movie being lampooned!

Son of Enik

Reaction score
My favorite episode was when Mike and the robots watched "Invasion of the Neptune Men". Terrible movie, but their commentary was genius!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlerreth recently got himself an acting role on the soap The Guiding Light, under his new stage name Rock Hoover. They even made up a sortof catchy little theme song that ends with the line: "there ain't no messing with the 'Hoov'".
Well, every time they bring that name of his up, I keep thinking... He probably came up with that name by following the classic rules on formulating your own tough guy name, as Crow and Servo demonstrated that one time. Oh sorry, I meant Drake Tungsten.
Servo: And you can call me Ric Drywall.
Uh, dry wall's not that tough.
Maybe you can be a tough guy without a tough guy name like Sylvester Stallone or Jean Claude Van Damme.
Don't patronize me!

And then the best part started when Servo blew out his prosthetic tough guy arm implants.
Hey, I have a tough guy name for you Servo.
Yeah, what?
DannyNo-Arms.
Freddy Fireplug.
Servo then gets mad at Crow and they sort of quibble all the way into the movie theater.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Manos: The Hands of fate

Awesomest episode ever! haha! Its an awesome show!

travellingpat

Reaction score
Haha sorry i forgot about the almighty question marks

i just started watching the show on DVD...its great!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
A personal fave of mine... Fire Maidens from Outer Space. The movie and ripping were OK, but the real grandness of this episode is the storyline with Crow's dark specter lookalike. The best parts...
At the beginning, when they're parodying the Posture Pals short they had seen with another previous movie.
The third quarter of the movie, when Crow's dark specter sneaks into the theater and starts picking Servo apart.
And then there's Servo's Harry Carey impersonation at the end after Joel disposes of the intruding entity.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
In one of the host segments of Gunslinger (a Roger Corman western), Joel and the 'Bots discuss death and funerals. Joel explains to Crow and Servo that the two 'Bots will never die because they don't have souls. Still, Crow and Servo fantasize about their final send-off.

Servo: At my funeral, I'd hope my friends would toss me up and down in a blanket like the Eskimos do.

Crow: How about a beach funeral? Pony keg, bonfire, couples slipping off into the woods to neck. Prop me up so I can surf!

Servo: I want elephants, lots of 'em! And circus ladies as my pallbearers. And I want 'em enthusiastic and wearing those little frilly skirts, those little tutus, heh heh heh!

Crow: I'll lie in state for several days at the Corn Palace, while "Hooked On a Feeling" is sung by a choir of castrati.

Crow: Joel, is there any way I could be mummified and placed next to Stalin?

Servo asks Joel if when humans die, is it forever? Joel says yes. Servo tells Joel, why doesn't he just NOT die...

Joel: Everybody dies.

Crow: Oh, and if everybody ran off a cliff, you'd do that, too!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
More segments that stick in my mind...

1 The bots ask Joel if there's too much violence in movies and the difference between real violence and movie violence. Joel starts explaining, and then all three get into a laughable maylay. Dr. F and Frank watch on confusedly at first, then Dr. F claims triumph in breaking Joel's soul. Crow's got one eye missing and an arm in a sling at the end.
Crow: I want joe Frasier. I want Joe Frasier.

2 Joel's making the bots a fake egg breakfast, I think this one's from Yga! They're talking about all the TV sitcom families and how the only normal American family are the Munsters, cause all the rest are broken homes.

3 Another great segment is where Crow and Servo are planning out their psychotic clown acts with Joel typing at the typewriter... When in reality, he hasn't been writing a thing and gets the bots in the end with his cute little remark "there's a little bit of a clown inside all of us".