Favorite Old Disney Shows?

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I must admit, I'm probably the only one that didn't hate Disney's version of Doug for what it was. I loved the S.T.U.A.R.T. conspiracy episode.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And I must admit, I'm probably the only one that didn't hate Disney's version of Doug for what it was. I loved the S.T.U.A.R.T. conspiracy episode.
I like it, too, mainly because I saw it before Nick's version growing up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Disney's Doug, I don't think was really as bad as a lot of people really made it out to be, but if I had to choose, I would say that I do prefer Nick's Doug over Disney's Doug.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nick's Doug is better all around with the exception of the show being grainy and dark and kinda muted in color. The one improvement Disney's version had was the clearer, more colorful, and consistent designs of the characters. if anything Disney's version was better looking (Character redesigns not withstanding, though I grew to like Roger's new haircut). I get that it wasn't well liked because the morals were a little more bluntly put across and the episodes were half hour long stories instead of 2 11 minute shorts. But overall, a pretty decent show continuation. Plus, it was more easily accessible than the Nick version for those of us who didn't have cable. And it had merchandise.

Though I find Recess and Pepper Ann superior.

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
I liked Disney's Doug too and it took a while until Nick's Doug, which I have seen after the Disney continuation, started to grow on me. But I can't say which one I prefer, haven't seen both in a long time.

Other old Disney shows I liked were DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, Tale Spin, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Kim Possible, Gargoyles, The New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh, House of Mouse, The Weekenders, Hercules, Recess and Adventures of The Gummi Bears.
... I watched too much TV as a child...

rowlfy662

Reaction score
i always liked Recess and Lloyd in space that and Darkwing Duck Darkwings character is too funny not to like i wish Disney would release these great shows to dvd on at least itunes so the younger generation can enjoy them

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd wish Disney would consider outsourcing its TV shows for DVD releases. All the classic Disney Afternoon shows should be on DVD. I still call bull on them not releasing Buzz Lightyear of Star Command in any scope after Toy Story 3.

Weird thing is, the Darkwing Duck DVD sets, despite being almost out of print for years, had a HUGE spike in sales when the Boom comic books came out. It's ripe for some nostalgic come back. At least for merchandising.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah Yuna, you just grew up with the entirety of The Disney Afternoon, same as most of us here. And that led to Disney's One Saturday Morning... And then the shows on Toon Disney.

But getting back to Doug. My main problem with the Disney version is the continuity. Disney's version reset the timeline to when the kids were entering middle school (7th grade) when they had already graduated from 8th grade by the end of Nick's run, yet Disney's version incorporated events that were inline with Nick's run.
For example, at the start of Disney's Doug, you had Skeeter as a genius who ditched the main school in favor of home schooling and Roger as a millionaire. Yet these were events that happened towards the end of Nick's version.
Disney's Doug started with Tippy Dink as mayor of Bluffington with ex-mayor White as the new school's superintendant/principal, when these were events that were established from Nick's run.

It was a weird mishmash of continuity, or as I always said of it, "it's like they took the events that happened during the two years on Nick, transplanted it into Disney's run, then rolled back the clock so it can all take place two years back from when it originally happened before moving forward again."

As for old Disney TV shows... Anyone remember Mousercise or You and Me, Kid?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I see what you mean. Though they did lampshade this beautifully in the first episode where Doug was very uncomfortable and almost completely annoyed and confused by all the changes. Almost a stealth way of saying "Yeah. We changed stuff." On the one hand, I agree that a lot of the changes were alienating for Doug fans. But at the same time, it was a very bold courageous move to make them and not freeze them in Status Quo land. So I'm fifty fifty about that. the only change I really disliked was the refusal to give Billy West the pay he wanted and getting someone else to do all of his roles. But hey, at least they kept everyone else, especially Fred Newman and Fran Brill.

Though I agree, it's not quite as good as Nick's version of the series.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it should have stayed in "status quo land"... They could have kept all the new events: Mayor Tippy Dink, Skeeter as a home-schooled genius, Roger Klotz as a new millionaire rivaling Bibi Bluff's position, the addition of Cleopatra Dirtbike Funny... Just, instead of the kids entering 6th grade all over again, turn that 6 upside-down into a 9 so they're entering 9th grade/HS after graduating at the end of the Nick version. That's all.