FINALLY a Complete Series Set I DON'T Oppose!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I would not call it "average":sympathy:.
Five seasons is pretty average, especially back in the day when REAL successful series weren't tied to a strict four season/fifty-two episode contract.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Five seasons is pretty average, especially back in the day when REAL successful series weren't tied to a strict four season/fifty-two episode contract.
But even back in the 80's, there were deadlines to meet.

Redsonga

Reaction score
But, those 'successful' series were often milking it for all it was worth, FR was planned to only be a certain length based on it's story. So it was not a matter of "Gee, if more people liked this we would make it it longer.", it was more "This is how long it is going to be to tell the story we want to, if you want more we will pretend the last season is two, but we're not going to change it.:stick_out_tongue:."

All and all, if 'successful' means watered down plots, and in some cases not real ending, I would rather have a shorter series:embarrassed:. And the number of FR fans around tv still proves that length is not the be all and end all :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
That and a lot shows that've lasted for years become shells of what they once were.

Redsonga

Reaction score
That and a lot shows that've lasted for years become shells of what they once were.
I know, can it really be called good if it is not even the same series that made people love it anymore?
Like with Rugrats, everything after the first movie just didn't seem like them anymore to me :frown:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I know, can it really be called good if it is not even the same series that made people love it anymore?
Example: My username-sake following the mild ratings of The Tigger Movie & Piglet's Big Movie, the bomb that was Pooh's Heffalump Movie (the only good thing about it was that they introduced a new character, Lumpy, even though he--in all technically, even by Pooh standards--wasn't really supposed to exist [because Heffalumps originally were just from Pooh & Piglet's imagination]), and--as we all know by now--the canning of Christopher Robin and replacing him essentially with a little girl (Darbie) and her dog (Buster) & retooling the Pooh formula further to the pre-school sect by making Pooh and Tigger brain-dead detectives that rely on the tiringly idiotic Dora format to make it through each pitiful showing of the series, My Friends Tigger & Pooh.

Before anymore kids latch onto the current drivel that my username-sake has been stuck with, I suggest parents get their kids to watch the 1970's shorts (or all four via The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh) that quickly made The Bear of Very Little Brain a household name in America & the 1990's New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh animated series that brough new life into the franchise, but left it true to the vision of A.A. Milne (with the pen-and-ink aid of Ernest H. Shephard) & Walt Disney (with the musical assistance of The Sherman Brothers).

Redsonga

Reaction score
Of all the new movies the only one I think was really true to things was Piglet's Big Movie :smile:.

It's funny, I think even our preschool Pooh that I loved, Welcome To Pooh Corner, had a lot more thought to it than My Friends Tigger & Pooh :stick_out_tongue:. At least the characters acted like they did in the books....

wwfpooh

Reaction score
"Welcome to you and how do you do? Everybody's waiting here at Pooh Corner..."

Agreed & even though the people in the Pooh character suits interacted with the audience (via the Thotful Spot segments, with the help of Mr. Narrator [this time played by Laurie Main, the man who took over the role when Subastian Cabot passed away]), they didn't talk down to said audience too much (and even at those times when it may've sounded as though they did, they didn't butcher the Pooh formula when doing so).

The only time the show got ruined--in all honesty--was when the same cast was put within the PSA entitled Too Smart for Strangers. In it, the Pooh cast talked about the standard rules that apply to dealing with strangers (how one should never take any offers from stangers, how one should always be skeptical of what strangers do or say, how one should tell a trustworthy grown-up when--or merely if--they had run into a stranger, how one should never say they're home alone, how one should always have emergency contact numbers readily available, etc.) & they even said stuff in regards to the "bad" sort of touching...

The whole semi-creepy special on how be Too Smart for Strangers can be seen below:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

What's worse in reality is that so many cases that have recently discussed the same topic often do involve crowded places where it is hard to detect someone (big cities and shopping malls, mainly), do involve parents or someone who should be trusted whole-heartedly (i.e. priests, police personnel, and the like) doing the horrid act, or do involve otherwise sane people ignoring people's pleas for help (see the New York case in which a middle-aged lady was beaten to death & no one--among the 48+ witnesses--called for aid). *shudders*

Some people these days seriously frighten me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, shows like Fraggle Rock and Get Smart had an average run on TV, so they don't need a "complete series" set!
Cough cough... the Get Smart set was already a complete series via Time Life... cough cough.

I just think they shouldn't have a complete series until all the seasons are available in single collections first. FR and GS are jumping the gun, going straight to complete...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I just think they shouldn't have a complete series until all the seasons are available in single collections first.
Though I agree, we're not the ones controlling things.