Financing Issues Frustrate Henson-Valentine Deal

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
EMTV's logo is on a lot of the press releases and international stuff (not usually merchandise). You don't remember the Kermit standing triumphantly (Hitler Style) on the red background ?
Nope, I was not aware of any faux fascist chancelloring depictions of our beloved frog. But hey, that's Germany for you...they still got a touch of the ol Wagnerian bravado!

Luke

Reaction score
I don't think even Disney would take Jim's name off the merchandise though - i mean the most successful thing about Henson has been Jim so it's kinda half of what the buyer will be paying for. I don't really mind any new owner having their name AS WELL AS Jim Henson as they'd have paid their money and began to put their own ideas in. Technically they'd have the right to be credited and if they did well, deserve to be.

Now if they were to replace Jim's name with their own ... then that would definitely NOT be cool !

beaker

Reaction score
I don't think even Disney would take Jim's name off the merchandise though - i mean the most successful thing about Henson has been Jim so it's kinda half of what the buyer will be paying for. I don't really mind any new owner having their name AS WELL AS Jim Henson as they'd have paid their money and began to put their own ideas in. Technically they'd have the right to be credited and if they did well, deserve to be.

Now if they were to replace Jim's name with their own ... then that would definitely NOT be cool !
Sorry, have to disagree...Im a hardliner when it comes to those things. Unlike Pixar, I dont want Disney anywhere near the print of JH's signature or Muppet logos. In the year 3065 it needs to remain just the Muppets logo(whatever it be, holographic 3d wireframe logos?) with JH signature.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Sorry, have to disagree...Im a hardliner when it comes to those things. Unlike Pixar, I dont want Disney anywhere near the print of JH's signature or Muppet logos. In the year 3065 it needs to remain just the Muppets logo(whatever it be, holographic 3d wireframe logos?) with JH signature.
How can you justify that when it'd be that company inputting ideas and running the Henson Company ? I think they have a right to be there .... somewhere...... if i went to the shop and bought a can of pepsi i expect to be able to drink it. I don't think as fans we have a right to expect just the family's branding anymore - if we have any complaints the only people to blame are the people who signed the contract and let the Muppet move away in the first place.

sidcrowe

Reaction score
Wocka wocka wocka

Now the jokes are starting!

Here's my source material: "It's hard for them to interfere from Germany."

Yeah, but don't the Germans have a history of bringing interference from Germany :rolleyes:

(with apologies to Luke)

beaker

Reaction score
How can you justify that when it'd be that company inputting ideas and running the Henson Company ? I think they have a right to be there .... somewhere...... if i went to the shop and bought a can of pepsi i expect to be able to drink it. I don't think as fans we have a right to expect just the family's branding anymore - if we have any complaints the only people to blame are the people who signed the contract and let the Muppet move away in the first place.
Luke, do you even give a care about a company's right to put there name on there? I sure dont. I like preservation. Thankfully EM.TV is not seen anywhere n fine print on any dvd, video game, plush, figure, socks or pair of panties Muppet related.

It is bad enough JHC lost Sesame to CTW(though that might have ben a good thing, with work loads and stuff) But heck no should Creature Shop be sold off seperately, this 49.99% shinanigans. Though I am hoping...hoping that somehow someway this Valentine deal turns out to be one sweet turnaround. Something we can look back on the year and say 'Wow, having Valentine buy the Muppets was truly a grand thing!'

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Luke, do you even give a care about a company's right to put there name on there? I sure dont. I like preservation. Thankfully EM.TV is not seen anywhere n fine print on any dvd, video game, plush, figure, socks or pair of panties Muppet related.
Yeah i do - if i was part of a production company that bought Henson and we started doing deals and producing shows with them i think we'd all find it laughable if our name wasn't included on the show credits and merchandise. Preservation is about keeping Jim's name on there because he created the Muppets in the first place but it shouldn't be so rigid that it's also about denying people credit ..... i really doubt Jim himself would have done that. I think if Henson were to buy Disney people would be raving about what a superpower they had become and expecting their graphic to appear after the shows - except because Henson's the small fish and it's the other way around people jump on the 'preservation' bandwagon.

In any case it won't happen - it's fantasy that the Muppets would get any special treatment as a TV property is seen like any other. Any new owners would just stick their logo on there.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As long as it's "Walt Disney presents Jim Henson's Muppets" - I am fine. If it was just "Walt Disney's Muppets" - I would find that tacky. Paid or not. I don't think they'd do that, but weren't there rumors about it during the failed merger?

beaker

Reaction score
I think if Henson were to buy Disney people would be raving about what a superpower they had become and expecting their graphic to appear after the shows - except because Henson's the small fish and it's the other way around people jump on the 'preservation' bandwagon.
Well you make a good point...it *is* the other way around.
Now, I'll be the first to admit...as much as we bag on Disney, truth be told JHC has made some pretty staggeringly lame moves(ie: Making zero effort to promote or even plug the figures, what with all of Kermit's appearences...letting muppets.com linger, screwing up henson.com, the EM.TV deal, etc) However a testament of their tenaciousness, they continue to thrive inder circumstances that would normaly bring a company down to its knees. As for logos, and all that. That's fine if it is the fine print or whatever...but I think most of us agree it needs to remain the Muppets with the JH trademark. period.