Flippersteps in the Sand

Beauregard

Reaction score
Alright, I'd bug you to write more, but I know you were busy writing yesterday when you should have been studying and as a result have not finished your assignment, so, NO MORE WRITING LISA!

Actually, yeah, give us some more...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Okay, I have good news and bad news.

GOOD NEWS! I finished the paper! I FINISHED THE PAPER! And I turned it in, too, and YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! That means I'll have time to write more and type more and post more WITHOUT FEELING GUILTY for skiving off my duties! ...Not that I would EVER skive off my duties...

BAD NEWS! I may or may not be actually sleeping at home tonight, and since I still have other homework to do, I don't actually have time to type more or post more tonight. At least, I don't think I do. I'm sorry, guys...

GOOD NEWS! I bet you a lily pad I'll have time to type and post tomorrow!

MORE GOOD NEWS! I bet you another lily pad I'll have time to write tomorrow, so I can finally get this scene past where it is right now, into relatively normal sized handwriting, and into a notebook- instead of on a napkin ring, where it has been for months.

RANDOM NEWS! The napkin-ring scene will undoubtedly be the last chapter to have any part in my current notebook, and it may or may not even completely fit in my notebook. To give you an idea of how dear this notebook has become to me... It includes the last three or so chapters of Swamp Call, all of A Gift, some random stuff that didn't turn into a story, and some brainstorming for The Time The Muppets Beat Time. And that's not even counting all the random quotes written inside the front cover. I'm not sure if this is happy or sad, but it's certainly an event. At least in my mind it is.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I know I'm a bad boss because I have trouble following all of these fanfics...

but you just said 'skiving off my duties'.

YOU GET A GOLD STAR!

**huggles Toga** Haven't seen you around as of late! I shuld start catching up on your stories!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<<<<<HUGS Pepper back>>>>> A GOLD STAR????? Aw, gee- thanks Boss! <Dances> And I sure would appreciate it if you did read my stories, but it's okay if you don't, I mean... I've heard of this thing called "life," and I'm not really sure what it is, but I hear it's pretty cool. And you know, I was thinking about you when I said "skiving off my duties," and that I haven't seen you much- wow, great minds think alike!

And Leyla, since I didn't answer you before- I would be honored if you used "my" swamp, and I look forward to reading that story! Glad to know you like it so much.

Now then. I don't have much homework today. And I have some story to type, and then to post. So stay tuned!

Edit: SCRATCH THAT! Apparently I typed farther than I thought last time. Which means that I am just MOMENTS away from posting the next chapter- Chapter Eighteen, coming right up!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Eighteen

One Month and Three Days Later
May 10, 1971

Robin sat carefully perched on the handlebars of Kermit’s bicycle, holding on tight, looking around as fast as he could to take everything in. The train had been exciting, but it stayed the same, except for the window. Now everything was changing constantly. This was a town, and it wasn’t Leland. It was all new.

“What’s that, Uncle Kermit? What’s that?” Robin pointed.

“Don’t let go of the bike!” Kermit said quickly. He looked where Robin had pointed. “That’s a theater,” he explained.

“What’s a theater?”

“Um- well it’s a place where uh, there’s a stage, and people perform on the stage, and other people come and watch.”

“Why do they watch?” Robin asked.

“Well- because it’s fun to watch,” Kermit said.

“Neat!” Robin said. “What’s that?”

“That’s a hot dog stand.”

“I don’t see any dogs.”

“Well, uh-“

“What’s that?”

“It’s a record store.”

“What’s a record?”

“Uh-“

“What’s that?”

“A clothing store.”

“What’s a clothing?”

“Oh boy…”

“What’s a boy?”

“Robin!”

The little frog laughed. He knew what a boy was. But it was fun to ask questions.

“See that brick building up ahead?” Kermit said as he slowed down to let a woman cross the street.

“The red one?” Robin asked.

“Yup. That’s where I live,” Kermit explained.

Robin tried to turn around and look at his uncle, amazed. “You own that whole building?” he asked.

“Face forward,” Kermit reminded him, “I don’t want you to fall.” Robin grudgingly obeyed. “To answer your question though, no I don’t own the whole building,” Kermit went on. “I just rent part of it to live in. It’s called an apartment.”

“Ohhh,” Robin said.

“We’ll be there soon,” Kermit said. “And it’s a good thing, too, because my legs are getting tired.”

Robin tried to turn again. “Am I too heavy?”

“Face forward,” Kermit said. He felt like he had said that a lot since they had left the train station. “No, you’re not too heavy.”

They entered the apartment building just moments later, and Robin stared in awe. He tugged on Kermit’s hand. “Uncle Kermit?” he asked, raising his hand and pointing. “What’s that?”

Kermit led Robin towards where he was pointing. “Those are called stairs, Robin.”

“Stairs,” Robin said slowly. “What do they do?”

“Well-“ Kermit crouched down to his nephew’s level. The stairs did look impressive from here. “They don’t really do anything… You just walk on them.”

Robin stared. “How?” he asked. “Why?”

Kermit frowned, not sure what to answer. “To go up,” he said.

“Like climbing a tree?” Robin asked

“Sort of,” Kermit said. “Haven’t you ever seen stairs before?”

Robin shook his head.

“Oh,” Kermit said. “Well, stairs go from one level of a building to another.”

Robin gave him a perplexed stare. “Huh?”

“Maybe I should just show you,” Kermit suggested. “See, right now we’re on the first floor, or the ground floor. Which means that even though we’re standing on a man-made floor-“ he tapped the tile for emphasis- “We’re not any higher than the ground outside. Does that make sense?”

Robin hesitated. “I think so…”

“Good. Now-“ Kermit picked his nephew up and quickly walked up the stairs, explaining as he did. “When we go up the stairs, we get higher. So we’re higher than the ground outside. And when we get to the top-“ He set Robin down at the top of the stairs- “Then we’re on the second floor.”

Robin looked around, confused. “But it looks the same,” he said.

Kermit smiled and carried his nephew to the window. “Does it look the same here?”

Robin looked out the window. “Wow!” he said, “It’s like we’re in a tree!” He hesitated, frowned, and looked at his uncle. “How do we get down?”

“Oh that’s easy,” Kermit said. “We just go down the stairs!” And he carried his nephew back to the first floor.

Robin immediately hopped out of Kermit’s arms, ran over to the window, and hopped up to look. “We’re back where we were!” he said excitedly.

“Yup,” Kermit said.

Robin ran back. “Can I try it?” he asked.

“Of course!” Kermit said.

“Okay. Here I go!” Robin carefully hopped onto the first step, and then the next, and the next, and the next. Each step was a small triumph for a frog his size. When he reached the top and turned around, his smile was bigger than he was. “I did it!” he said. “I’m at the top now, right, Uncle Kermit?”

“That’s right,” Kermit smiled up at him.

“I’m gonna come back down now!”

“Okay.”

Robin hopped down each step with less caution than he had gone up with. He reached the bottom, turned around, and looked back up. “Stairs,” he said.

Kermit nodded. “Yup. Stairs.”

Robin looked at him. “Now we’re at the bottom of the stairs, right?”

“That’s right,” Kermit said.

“Where do we go now?” Robin asked.

“Now we go upstairs,” Kermit said.

“Upstairs?” Robin repeated.

“Yup,” Kermit said. “My apartment is-“ he pointed- “Upstairs.”

Robin looked at the stairs. “Oh, neat!” he said, and he started hopping back up the stairs.

Kermit smiled as he slowly followed Robin. How many late nights had he wished these stairs were shorter, or even non-existent? Yet Robin relished every step. He decided that, at least while Robin was here, he would try to see his life- and maybe the world- through a younger frog’s eyes.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Wow....that's so sweet. Little Robin is seeing everything for the first time and now Kermit's going to try and look at the world through his eyes. I love it! It's so cute and so sweet! *Hugs Lisa* Great chapter, looking forward to more.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Aw. Introducing Robin to stairs....*huggles Lisa*...awesome as usual!

Beauregard

Reaction score
*points* It's a theatre! It's a theatre! It's a clothing!

Um? Scratch that last one.

Oh! Robin! Some people make him over the top enthusiastic, but, nope, with Robin you cannot GO over the top with his enthusiasm! And, relishing every step...that's something I need to do with ym life at the moment...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that's a nice chapter Lisa. Rully liked how Kermit explained stairs to his nephew... And all the non-stop questions Robin made when on the bicycle...
But who was that woman crossing the street? Oh well...
Wonder if Robin'll find out about the easy way to get down stairs, like when Grover climbed those 39 steps.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
oooo awesome writing Lisa. After a week of intense finals and projects, I can now relax and catch up on these stories that I love reading. I can't wait to see where this story is going and what it's climax will be or at least how it will end. You have done an amazing job. when you have time more please.:smile: