Flippersteps in the Sand

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Ruahnna, I've just gotta say... that made me laugh SO hard... <<<<<<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>>>>> to you!

And more story, too.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Sixteen

Seven Months and Two Weeks Later
April 3, 1971

Jim and Kermit strolled easily around the park pond, enjoying the cool, crisp air. The snow had melted, and things were just beginning to bud.

Jim took a deep breath. “Kermit, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about the next special.”

Kermit couldn’t help but smile. “Another special? I knew you couldn’t do just the show for long,” he said. “What’s the special?”

“I was thinking of doing The Frog Prince,” Jim said. “We had talked about it before…”

Kermit slowed down. “Yeah,” he said slowly. “You mentioned giving the lead to-“

“To a younger frog,” Jim interrupted.

Kermit shot him a grateful glance for not specifying the name of the “younger frog” they had discussed giving the role to years ago.

“We’d still like to have a younger frog play the role,” Jim said.

“Well that’s fine with me, but where are we gonna find a younger frog?” Kermit asked. “I mean, there aren’t any around here, and-“ He cut himself off, noticing the patient, thoughtful way that Jim was watching him. He stared for a moment before speaking slowly. “You want me to bring one of my nephews out of the swamp to do it.”

Jim nodded once. “I was considering that possibility,” he said.

“No, Jim, absolutely not,” Kermit said quickly. “I will not take any one of my nephews away from his parents. Not under any circumstances- I won’t do it. I can’t. Jim, I can’t take care of a little frog, anyway. I mean I can watch kids fine, I can teach- uh, sort of- but if one of my nephews came out here, I mean, he wouldn’t have his parents or brothers or sisters and it’s nothing like the swamp out here- he’d just be confused, and scared, and I wouldn’t know what to do, I mean- I can’t, Jim.”

“Hm…” Jim plodded on around the pond. “Well,” he mused, “I suppose you could play the lead.” His eyes shifted to the frog, almost looking suspicious. “You know the plot, of course…”

When the words sank in, Kermit came to a sudden halt. “Um-“ he gulped. He was still apprehensive of flirting with women, let alone kissing them, even if it was just for a television special. They both knew that he would not play the lead. Jim had stopped walking and was again watching in that patient, thoughtful way that was starting to get on Kermit’s nerves. “You could at least play fair,” he said grouchily.

They kept walking. “I won’t say you have to,” Jim said gently. “I know it’s… uncomfortable. But would you think about it?”

Kermit sighed. “I’ll think about it,” he said softly. “I’ll have to check with my family, you know. They might not think it’s a good idea.”

Jim nodded. “I know,” he said. “But as long as you’ll think about it…” He consulted his watch. “I should get home,” he said.

Kermit glanced at the darkening sky. “Yeah, it’s getting late,” he said. “I’ll see ya tomorrow, though.”

“Yup. Tomorrow,” Jim said. “Have a good night, Kermit.”

“You too, Jim.”

Jim slid his hands into his jacket pockets and strode out of the park.

Kermit finished his lap around the pond before he, too, left the park. But instead of going to his apartment, he followed his flippers to the other side of town.

There was no one on Cole Street. It was lined with cozy, well-lit houses, owned and inhabited by happy young couples with happy young children, all sitting down to dinner now, or gathering around the television, piano, or comfy chair for a favorite program, song, or story. No one was out on Cole Street now. No one but a frog.

Kermit preferred coming here in the morning, early morning, before anyone on the street was awake, but dinnertime was also a good time to come- if he didn’t look in anyone’s windows. Any other time of day, he refused to walk Cole Street. Any other time of day, walking Cole Street meant meeting the people. Meeting the people meant talking to them, and talking to them would inevitably lead to the topic of the semi-vacant lot, and he couldn’t bear that.

He couldn’t bear to meet the people who should have been his neighbors.

He pushed open the gate of the fence and let it swing shut behind him. If he ever came here on weekends or in mid-afternoon, he would see school children trying to peer over and through the fence, crowding around the gate, daring each other to enter, and being spotted by their parents before they could muster the nerve to open the gate. They would scatter, whispering to each other that the land was haunted.

They weren’t completely wrong.

Kermit’s eyes took the usual inspection route. No, the grass did not need cutting, yes, the shed and fence were intact, yes, the pond was fairly clean, and no, the tree did not need trimming, or any other attention.

Near the tree, there were two tombstones, one taller than the other. The taller one was closer to the gate. Melinda the Frog. The shorter one was closer to the tree. Ray the Frog. Each had a different date of birth, but the same date of death. There were still flowers in front of Ray’s tombstone from his birthday, just days before.

Kermit sat near the tombstones, facing them. “Hey,” he said softly. “I know I was just here, but, I- I need to talk. See it’s about this special we’re going to do- The Frog Prince. Remember that story, Ray?” He hesitated. “Well, anyway. We talked about giving you the lead, but- well that’s kind of impossible now.” He sighed. “So now they want one of your cousins to do it, and-“ He turned towards Melinda’s grave. “Well- I don’t think I’m ready,” he said. “I told Jim I wouldn’t know how to take care of a little frog, but- I don’t think he believed me. I’m not sure I believed me. But I- I think I’m scared. I’m scared that I’ll screw up again, and lose one of my nephews.” He shook his head. “I can’t do that.”

He let his hand settle on the ground, almost petting the grass. “But I told Jim I would think about it,” he said. “I’m going to the swamp soon anyways. I guess I could talk to them about it… They probably won’t want me taking anyone out of the swamp with me. I-“ he glanced at Ray’s grave. “I’ve got a bad history.”

He hugged his knees to his chest. “Actually,” he whispered, “I don’t know what they’ll think. But I… I guess I’m kind of hoping they’ll reject it.” He rocked himself, slowly, gently, back and forth. “Maybe I shouldn’t hope that,” he said softly. “I guess… I guess it could be fun…” He stopped rocking. “I don’t know, Melinda. I don’t know. I’ll just have to find out.”

He let go of his legs, readjusted, and took a deep breath of the cool evening air. “You know that record store, that went out of business a few years ago… The one that used to be a diner, that nobody’s bought, it’s just been up for sale since it closed… Well, I passed it today, and the ‘For Sale’ sign is gone. I guess somebody bought it.” He shrugged and stood up. “I just thought you’d be interested…” He gave each tombstone a light pat. “Well, good night, I guess,” he said, and he strolled over to the gate, glancing at them over his shoulder before slipping away.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score

*gently hugs the frog*

You'll know what to do Kermit. You'll know what to do.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Lisa... Looks like you dodged another penguin barrage. Rully good chapter, Jim beating around the bush with his wiles to get Kermit to draw out one of his nephews for The Frog Prince. And the conversation with Melinda and Ray's graves was very well done... The silence of the moment stays with you.

But this... This touched me most of all.
Originally posted by Queen of Fanfiction: "There was no one on Cole Street. It was lined with cozy, well-lit houses, owned and inhabited by happy young couples with happy young children, all sitting
down to dinner now, or gathering around the television, piano, or comfy chair for a favorite program, song, or story."
Is that a refurrence to some sort of RPG here at MC? One that's been abandoned until the family head gets his screwed back on with some new-fangled adventure?
*Hugs Lisa and leaves tray of cookies with a glass of milk... Or should that be three glasses?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Cole Street! Gee, I'm wondering the same thing as Ed! If it is, it's a clever reference!

Anyway, so much good stuff in this chapter, alot of heart and soul and once again, poor Kermit! But, I agree with everyone else, he will know the right thing to do, Jim would never steer him wrong. This is great and I can't wait to read more!

Barry Lee

Reaction score
AHHHHH! I just discovered this WONDERFUL story. THIS is the BEST ever! Love it! Great tie in with the characters, just, awesome. :smile:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Awww, poor Kermit; I hate it when people blame themselves for things like that! I thaught the name Cole sounded amiliar, but I couldn't figure out where it was from exactly. Great chapter, and as allways, looking forward to reading more!

Leyla

Reaction score
Oh, Lisa, another wonderful chaper of a wonderful story! You're such a talented writer. You've broken my heart all over again... so be a dear and put it back together at some point will you? It befits your nickname. :smile:

Kermit couldn’t help but smile. “Another special? I knew you couldn’t do just the show for long,” he said. “What’s the special?”
Oh, see this is a good sign! Kermit's smiling again, and a the thought of a special. Oh, he's healing... it's slow but he's healing. I'm gonna cry.

Kermit shot him a grateful glance for not specifying the name of the “younger frog” they had discussed giving the role to years ago.
Sob! Oh, that's so sad! It took me a moment to figure out it was Ray too, and then I got sad all over again. And of course Kermit's gonna be all protective of his family. Wow, what a tough decision to bring Robin away from the swamp and take care of him. He's such a brave frog.

When the words sank in, Kermit came to a sudden halt. “Um-“ he gulped. He was still apprehensive of flirting with women, let alone kissing them, even if it was just for a television special.
I don't know why but I feel so... fond of Kermit when I read about him being apprehensive of flirting and such. It makes perfect sense, and it also makes him seem so vulnerable. Oh my goodness, what a shock to the system Piggy's gonna be!

Kermit sighed. “I’ll think about it,” he said softly. “I’ll have to check with my family, you know. They might not think it’s a good idea.”
Oh my. This line didn't jump out at me until just now. You see, I asume it would be his swamp family that he'd be checking with... and I'm sure that's partly truth... but then he needs to check with Melinda and Ray.

Oh, shoot, I'm actually crying now. Well this is embarrassing.

There was no one on Cole Street. It was lined with cozy, well-lit houses, owned and inhabited by happy young couples with happy young children, all sitting down to dinner now, or gathering around the television, piano, or comfy chair for a favorite program, song, or story. No one was out on Cole Street now. No one but a frog.
Others have said it, but this whole scene is just so emotional. It's that contrast with the homey happy families and one little frog. Heartbreaking.

He couldn’t bear to meet the people who should have been his neighbors.
Argh! Must stop crying!

They weren’t completely wrong.
You told me once that one word sentences pack and emotional punch for you. Sentences like this hit me in the same way.

They probably won’t want me taking anyone out of the swamp with me. I-“ he glanced at Ray’s grave. “I’ve got a bad history.”
Oh, Kermit, you poor darling. That Kermit is even considering it gives me hope, but it's still so sad.

Bravo, Lisa. This is just fantastic, though it feels funny to right that when I'm all sad.

Smiles

Reaction score
Aww, Kermit!

You know that you got me sooo into this story that I started wondering if Kermit family would let one of his nephews be in the Frog Prince, when I know very well that they do, they must.

But this is soooo teriffic Lisa!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Seventeen

Four Days Later
April 7, 1971

Kermit had only been in the swamp for a few hours when Jimmy cornered him between some old logs. “All right, Kermit, what is it?” he demanded.

Kermit stared at him. “Pardon?”

Jimmy sat on one of the logs. “There’s something big on your mind. Am I right?”

Kermit shifted his weight. “Well- yeah…”

“So?” Jimmy motioned to the other log, and Kermit sat on it, facing his younger brother.

“Well,” he sighed. “It’s this next special we’re doing, see. We’re doing The Frog Prince, and we’ve talked about doing it before, but- Well, we always said we would give the lead to…” His voice trailed off as he looked at his flippers.

Jimmy nodded. “But instead?”

“They still want a younger frog to play the lead,” Kermit said quietly. “Their suggestion was… Well, that I take one of my nephews with me out of the swamp to play the role.”

There was a soft rustle behind them, and a dark green ball of energy appeared between them. “Can I do it? Can I come with you, Uncle Kermit? Can I? Please?”

Kermit frowned thoughtfully at his youngest nephew. “Robin…”

“Robin, were you eavesdropping?” Jimmy asked, trying his best to sound disappointed when he was actually pleased to see his son. It was times like these when he hated disciplining his children.

“What’s that?” Robin asked.

“Eavesdropping? It’s, uh…” Jimmy looked to his brother for help.

“It’s when you listen to someone else’s conversation without permission,” Kermit explained.

“Oh,” Robin said. “Yup, that’s what I was doing!”

Jimmy struggled not to laugh. “You’re uh… You’re not supposed to do that, Robin,” he said.

“Oh,” Robin said. “I’m sorry… But can I go with Uncle Kermit? Please? Can I?”

“Robin…” Kermit knelt down in front of his nephew and took a deep breath. “You see Robin, I live a long way away from the swamp, far away.”

“Far, far away?” Robin asked, his innocent eyes shining. “Like where fairy tales are?”

“Well- not quite that far,” Kermit said, “It’s six hours away on the train.” Which doesn’t mean anything to you, because you’ve never seen a train and you can’t tell time. “So you wouldn’t be able to see your mom and dad, or your brothers and sisters, or anybody here for a long time.”

Robin looked up at his uncle thoughtfully. “Well that’s okay,” he said. “I’d be with you, right Uncle Kermit?”

“Well, yes,” Kermit said. “But see, you’re still a little frog-“

“I’m two and a half!” Robin said proudly. Then he bashfully added, “Next month.”

Kermit nodded. “Next month, right.” Which means you’re only two months younger than Ray was when… Don’t think about it, Kermit. “And a little frog like you should stay with his parents, so they can take care of him.”

Robin frowned and held his uncle’s hands. “But you could take care of me. Couldn’t you, Uncle Kermit?”

Kermit gently shook his head. “I- I don’t think, that’s such a good idea,” he said carefully.

“Why not?” Robin asked.

“Yeah Kermit, why not?” Jimmy echoed, a smile playing across his face.

Kermit’s head snapped up to his brother, a flicker of panic momentarily in his eye.

Jimmy stood up. “Robin,” he said as he put a hand on his brother’s arm, “Could you please excuse your uncle and I for a moment?” He pulled Kermit to his feet and led him a few steps away. “Try not to eavesdrop this time.” He didn’t think his son would obey.

He was right. Robin hopped to the other side of one of the logs, but he was too eager to listen in to duck down and hide his head. Kermit and Jimmy could clearly see him watching with his round, innocent eyes.

“Listen Kermit,” Jimmy said firmly. “I know my son. I’ve known almost since he hatched, that he’s not staying in the swamp. He’s gonna hop right out of here the first chance he gets, and I’d rather that chance be for him to go with you.”

“Yeah but Jimmy,” Kermit protested, “I can’t take care of a little frog. I’d hardly know where to start, I mean, there’s only one of me, I wouldn’t know-“

“That’s the worst lie I’ve ever heard and you know it,” Jimmy interrupted. “And worse, you tell it to yourself, don’t you?” His voice was accusing.

Kermit averted his eyes and shifted his weight.

Jimmy put his hands on his brother’s shoulders and lowered his voice so that Robin couldn’t hear. “Listen to me, Kermit. You don’t want to hear this, but you have to.” Kermit looked at him. “Stop blaming yourself for Ray’s death,” Jimmy whispered. “It’s not your fault, you didn’t do anything wrong, and you are perfectly competent of taking care of a young frog.” He dropped his arms to his side.

Kermit lowered his eyes. “But… But I was the one who-“

“No,” Jimmy said. “You did nothing wrong.”

Kermit slowly looked up to his brother, clinging to his words and hoping they were true, showing for just a moment the deep pain he tried to hide from himself.

“Robin wants to go,” Jimmy said. “And you and Robin… You have this connection. I don’t know what it is, but it’s there. I’ve seen it. I mean, you’re always happy here, but you’re even happier when you’ve had a good long talk with Robin. He’s the same way, too, and he talks about you every day. And listen, Kermit. I know you’re happy when you visit here, but I don’t see you out there. I don’t know if you’re always happy, and I’ll bet a lily pad you’re not. But if Robin makes you happier here, he can make you happier there too, right?”

Kermit squirmed. “Well, yeah…”

Jimmy smiled. “Something tells me, Kermit, that you and Robin need each other.” Kermit hesitated. “Just look at him,” Jimmy persisted. “He wants to go.”

Kermit turned his head and looked straight into Robin’s bright, shining eyes, which suddenly surged with hope, seeing his uncle looking at him.

“But how would you keep in touch?” Kermit asked. He turned and looked at Jimmy. “I mean if something goes wrong, it’s not like we can just call you, there aren’t any phones in the swamp, and I don’t have any way of knowing when or where you’ll be in town. What if he gets homesick, and wants to talk to you? Or see you? You can always come into town and call us, but not the other way around.”

“No different from how it is now with you,” Jimmy said. He waved it off. “We’ll figure that all out later. But if he doesn’t leave the swamp with you for this, he’ll leave later, on his own or with a stranger. You know what it’s like- do you want him alone out there?” He shook his head. “I think you’d rather take him under your own wing.”

Kermit looked at him. “But I don’t have a wing,” he said.

Jimmy shrugged. “Figure of speech.”

“Speech has a figure?”

“Enough punch lines, Brother,” Jimmy said. “You’re dodging.”

Kermit turned and looked once more into Robin’s eyes. Again, he saw that surge of hope. Maybe… He held Robin’s gaze- or maybe Robin held his. “Shouldn’t we talk to Leaper?” he asked softly.

“Shouldn’t you talk to your nephew?” Jimmy countered.

Kermit hesitated, still looking at Robin. “It- It’s not permanent or anything, it’s just… Just for the special…”

Jimmy smiled. “For now,” he said.

Kermit looked at his brother.

“Go talk to your nephew,” Jimmy said.

Kermit nodded and slowly walked to the log that Robin was pretending to hide behind. He sat down.

“Can I come, Uncle Kermit?” Robin asked excitedly.

Kermit smiled, and he realized that he was just as excited as his nephew.