1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 47
    Sesame Street's 47th season officially began Saturday January 7 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Fozzie Bear Replica Puppet

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by Chalback, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Now that is an awesome Pig!

For what it's worth, I know that Reevz's isn't the only criticism of Creature Clones on this board. It's a shame because based on the look of that Piggy they might be someone I'd consider (along with the insistence on the use of an escrow service) if it wasn't for the fact I'd be majorly worried about the durability of the final product. Regular foam has a bad enough reputation for longevity, but foam latex apparently is even worse and from what I can guess was spent I'd want a Pig that would last forever!

Having purchased a puppet from Terry, though, I can't even begin to praise the quality, final product, and communication skills of the man. 10 stars all the way (and that's on a five-star system!). Now if he can work a miracle and make foam immortal I might even bump that up to 11...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

2. Aren't the original Miss Piggy puppets made of latex foam?

3. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Yeah - I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that 20 Miss Piggy heads were made for the most recent movie - foam latex isn't very durable, and even just standard direct sunlight will begin to break it down.

Diego Fiorucci likes this.
  4. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Erm...what now??!!? Is my Piggy gonna make like Gremlin if exposed to sunlight:eek:

5. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

This page has some good info on foam latex: http://www.sagecraft.com/puppetry/building/FoamPuppets.html

This is what it says about lifespan:
    STORAGE & LIFE EXPECTANCY: Foam chemicals stored tightly capped in a cool room will last a year or more. Shake them every month or so. Cured latex stored in plastic bags in a dry place away from light can last 20 years or more. Place puppets in a plastic bag in a box somewhere safe. Don’t squash puppets as they may stay deformed. Give them some breathing space. Stuff paper or cloth into heads to keep their shape when stored for long periods. Latex foam I formulated for the Tarzan movie Greystoke kept in sealed plastic bags was reported to be as subtle as new more than 15 years after its manufacture. With Miss Piggy being used every day of the week on the original Muppet Show it was common to replace her every 6 - 12 months. Mouth corners and necks are the first to go on latex foam puppets. Performing on weekends and holidays, a latex foam puppet could last many years. It’s wise to have a backup puppet in case of an accident when doing film and television work.

6. I've done some things on makeup effects, and I know that it happens. It's not about bad quality of the material, on the contrary, it's very flexible and ideal for these things, but its life is short. That's why facial prosthetics are replaced all the time when you do special make ups, and in productions with puppets some characters need to have use replicas. Beyond the joke about "Gremlins" who gained access to parts used in this production know they're very degraded today. Have you seen how is the original Yoda of "The Empire Strikes Back" or the original Alien? I think the mistake is to pretend that precisely Miss Piggy, be a faithful copy and handle and live the same time as any other puppet. If you want an exact copy of Piggy will happen this, or you should ask about other material options. Maybe he can build it with other material and make it look alike.

7. Reevz1977

She's been built and staring back and me for months. I also had a Stripe from Gremlins created for me and I can already see him breaking up...I dare not say what he cost!!

Is there anything I can do to protect them? Both are posers and there's not a great need to keep reposing them.

8. It' better to keep away from very warm and wet rooms, and don't touch it too much. But inevitably, the material degrades. It's perfect for film productions because its flexibility and spongy nature but is short-lived. If you just want a rigid replica, perhaps someone can do it in resin. I saw a great Yoda in resin once, it looks as credible as the original in its best times.

10. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  11. Reevz1977

Uh-oh

12. Wafflesnacker

Wafflesnacker Member

Is that piggy yours or the original?

13. muppetperson

They are both originals. The bottom Piggy is mine, which is an unfinished production head. I have now coated it all over in resin.

14. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

AN original? WOW! Where did you get that?

15. muppetperson

from ebay. A few heads have been on it. the last one was a few years ago and was the head used as the bad witch from Muppets Wizard of Oz. It too was showing signs of deterioration.

FoxWorthy likes this.
  16. muppetguy

muppetguy Member

@Reevz1977 i can't see the pic of your Miss Piggy.

I also ordered from Mike and for a Miss Piggy poser, everything you said is accurate. The armature wire is useless and the outfit I wanted her in was his "take" on what I requested.

Overall I'm happy I have a Piggy, but I wish she was exactly the way I wanted her.

17. Lenita

Lenita New Member

OH MY GOSH I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS & MUST HAVE YOU MAKE ME ONE. BY FAR THE BEST I HAVE SEEN. THIS WOULD MAKE A GREAT GIFT. DO YOU MAKE THEM FOR OTHERS. PLEASE GIVE ME ALL THE DETAILS ON HOW I CAN AQUIRE A FOZZIE BEAR FROM YOU.... JUST WOW!

18. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

*jaw drops*

That Fozzie looks a million times better than the one being used on the new show.

There is literally no difference between your puppets and the official ones.

How much do these puppets sell for? All of the links are broken.

19. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Did you ever get your Wembley?

20. HunterPeeples

HunterPeeples New Member

Who is Wembley?